Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

:o

Sports

Meet Blob, Philly’s new and mysterious USFL mascot

Receiving more than 65% of the votes, Blob will be the face of the Philadelphia Stars.

The Philadelphia Stars mascot, Blob.
The Philadelphia Stars mascot, Blob.
by Ximena Conde
Updated 
Apr 15, 2022

No one could have predicted this. A majority of voters in a weeklong Twitter election opted to name Philadelphia’s newest mascot Blob. Not even “The Blob” — perhaps to avoid a copyright issue— just Blob. (It feels like Boaty McBoatface all over again.)

Receiving more than 65% of the votes, Blob will be the face of the Philadelphia Stars, the local team in the revamped United States Football League, which kicks off its season this weekend. Blob was unveiled along with the other seven USFL team mascots Monday. All teams held online polls to determine the names of their mascots.

:wacko::lol:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

:lol:

Geez, did they put any effort into that? It’s like the designers said, “Philly loved Gritty, just give them a red blob or something and they’ll be thrilled.”

And yes, I’m sure Blob will be a hit (if the league survives).

I guess it has more "WTF?" and "stare appeal" than Swoop?  :lmao::P

One of my sisters said it reminded her of this -

oVqhPBqCsU5ygiqEF8DLv16FQSZ.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Geez, did they put any effort into that? It’s like the designers said, “Philly loved Gritty, just give them a red blob or something and they’ll be thrilled.”

And yes, I’m sure Blob will be a hit (if the league survives).

Gritty looks like a strung out nutjob so I can see how Philly likes him. But yeah, the effort level was at a all time low creating this character, like 15 minutes. Reminded me of a red Grimace when I first saw a picture...

gr.jpg

• Weenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Abnormally busy Thurs sports day in Philly:

Penn Relays start 9am (running in this wind must suck)

Phils at 1:05pm

Sixers Gm 6 tonight 7pm

NFL Draft tonight 7:30pm (Birds 1st round 16th and 19th pick)

Meanwhile it's 40F/Windy outside w/Memorial day a month away...

Birds picks are 15 & 18 in rd 1

20 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Sure was. Great day for Philly sports in general. Phils won their 4th in a row and Sixers won, cliched the series and move on to the 2nd round... 

Thurs: Everything went great , life is good!

Friday: Phils get shout out/no hitted. Found out, Embiid's face is broken, will miss first 2 games vs Miami if not more. Basically Sixers season is over.

Day and night...

*Doc should be canned matter what. Leaving Embiid in the game w/the Sixers up 25+ and 4 minutes left in the game.  

• Weenie 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:42 PM, Birds~69 said:

I think we'll hit at least $4.50 at some point, if not $5.00? We're not even in driving season yet.(Memorial day and further) I remember putting $20 in the tank back in the day and you're good for a while. Me/20gal tank $100.00 pretty soon...:arrowhead: 

Think by Memorial day weekend we'll see some $5.00s...last couple weeks climbing to its highest around here. 

gp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Just brought home my first new car in almost 20 years. (The Hyundai is my wife's.) Feels real good. The above post, not so much, but hopefully I'll at least get better mileage than my old car.

9Zs9VfN.png

Very nice. I'm not a fan of white vehicles but the style is sleek. I think every car I owned was dark blue, dark gray and mainly dark black.

Oh yeah, gas went up .11 cents everywhere overnight....4.85 across the board in my area. 

gas.jpg

• Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Very nice. I'm not a fan of white vehicles but the style is sleek. I think every car I owned was dark blue, dark gray and mainly dark black.

Oh yeah, gas went up .11 cents everywhere overnight....4.85 across the board in my area. 

gas.jpg

Usually me neither--all my cars have also been dark blue or black. But I really liked the look of this one when I rented one a couple of years ago, and secondly, mud shows up pretty well on it and I plan on doing some very light off-roading. (I had rented one to do remote geological work and it handled the trails I was on pretty capably.) This will be no roads-only driveway queen. I aim to put her to work.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Rumor circulating that some gas stations are making modifications so the pumps can post $10+ numbers

I swear I got ripped off at a cash only gas station (US Gas/Full serve) a couple weeks ago. Gave him a $20 and thought I saw 4.24 gal on the pump as I was leaving and prices were in the $4.20 range at that time which doesn't add up. F-it, I'll pump my own gas from now on and get a receipt. Even then, how would any driver know how much the pump is spitting out? The digits on the pump could be rigged...bastards.  

• Weenie 1

15 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I swear I got ripped off at a cash only gas station (US Gas/Full serve) a couple weeks ago. Gave him a $20 and thought I saw 4.24 gal on the pump as I was leaving and prices were in the $4.20 range at that time which doesn't add up. F-it, I'll pump my own gas from now on and get a receipt. Even then, how would any driver know how much the pump is spitting out? The digits on the pump could be rigged...bastards.  

I live on the Jersey border pretty much and I'll happily pay an extra 15 cents a gallon to pump my own gas in PA. I've had several self serve stations do the above. What they'll do is fill your car with plus or supreme since it costs significantly more. Caught one guy who did that when I got 40 bucks and my tank was barely over half when usually it'd be at least 3/4's full so I got out and looked at the pump and sure enough that was the case. I threatened to call the cops if he didn't give me my money back so at least I got 40 dollars of supreme for free... I was ready to deck him though since he had a shit eating grin after I called him out on it. I could tell he does it to people all the time.

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I live on the Jersey border pretty much and I'll happily pay an extra 15 cents a gallon to pump my own gas in PA. I've had several self serve stations do the above. What they'll do is fill your car with plus or supreme since it costs significantly more. Caught one guy who did that when I got 40 bucks and my tank was barely over half when usually it'd be at least 3/4's full so I got out and looked at the pump and sure enough that was the case. I threatened to call the cops if he didn't give me my money back so at least I got 40 dollars of supreme for free... I was ready to deck him though since he had a shit eating grin after I called him out on it. I could tell he does it to people all the time.

The only reason I went to that shithole gas station is "supposedly save" 6-7 cents a gallon if you pay cash. They don't let you pump your own. (I wonder why?) I alway pump my own otherwise.  I'm just going to go to wawa from now on. The odds of a big company like them screwing you are super slim. I have a wawa gas card anyways which I save 5cents/gal all the time...

• 2 weeks later...