Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

6 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Trying to save some $$$ although in the end it might not - even with a 1-year contract.

(and that may be my first greenskeeper weenie tag :thumbsup: I guess that was deserved :D)

• Weenie 1

29 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

G to FL, no deets yet. Can’t wait to see what crap Chuckie got in return. Probably no one under 30 to complete his “aggressive retool”. :axe:

Tippett who is 23 and 2 draft picks. 

Florida is also giving up its first-round pick in 2024 and a third round selection in 2023.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Experts have weighed in and say the correct permanent time change is to lose the hour of daylight :lol:

So less afternoon daylight snow forever

It still has to pass the House which I don't think it will. The sunrises would be super late and kids will be waiting for the bus in the dark. And if a kid was killed (car not seeing him/her) due to this change all hell would break loose. The sun wouldn't rise till 8:20am on Christmas.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/what-staying-in-daylight-saving-time-year-round-would-look-like-in-philadelphia/3181629/

times.jpg

• Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

It still has to pass the House which I don't think it will. The sunrises would be super late and kids will be waiting for the bus in the dark. And if a kid was killed (car not seeing him/her) due to this change all hell would break loose. The sun wouldn't rise till 8:20am on Christmas.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/what-staying-in-daylight-saving-time-year-round-would-look-like-in-philadelphia/3181629/

times.jpg

Thing is they are being asked by the experts to change the bill to make it an hour earlier sunrise. Meh it probably will never get through.

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

times.jpg

I was one of those kids (in 7th grade at the time) going to the train station everyday (on one of the Chestnut Hill train lines - which was transitioning from Penn Central/Conrail) to go downtown and then get on a SEPTA bus (which itself had been transitioning from PTC) the rest of the way to school - in the dark, in the mornings during late fall/winter, after Nixon signed the last ridiculous "all-year daylight savings time" bill,  in effect from January '74 until October '75 (ending my freshman year in high school) when someone finally got some sense knocked into them.  And yes I needed the flashlight in the mornings during the 2 winters this covered since my route to the train station was on a little residential street that was poorly lit by today's standards (this was before those "pinkish/yellowish" HPS street lights were installed around the city). And the actual path from the street to the station was even worse in terms of lack of maintained pedestrian lighting...  I used to catch what they called the "7:40 Express" that got me downtown at around 8 am and it was only then that the sky was trying to brighten and the sun was thinking of rising, but not actually up yet until we were getting closer to March.

:oldman:

:lol::P

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I was one of those kids (in 7th grade at the time) going to the train station everyday (on one of the Chestnut Hill train lines - which was transitioning from Penn Central/Conrail) to go downtown and then get on a SEPTA bus (which itself had been transitioning from PTC) the rest of the way to school - in the dark, in the mornings during late fall/winter, after Nixon signed the last ridiculous "all-year daylight savings time" bill,  in effect from January '74 until October '75 (ending my freshman year in high school) when someone finally got some sense knocked into them.  And yes I needed the flashlight in the mornings during the 2 winters this covered since my route to the train station was on a little residential street that was poorly lit by today's standards (this was before those "pinkish/yellowish" HPS street lights were installed around the city). And the actual path from the street to the station was even worse in terms of lack of maintained pedestrian lighting...  I used to catch what they called the "7:40 Express" that got me downtown at around 8 am and it was only then that the sky was trying to brighten and the sun was thinking of rising, but not actually up yet until we were getting closer to March.

:oldman:

:lol::P

I had a paper route in the late 70s before school so I was out pre dawn/dark (5:30am) all the time. Didn't have a flashlight but a headlight on my huffy/bike (device which made contact/spun with the wheel when I pedal to form a generator and create electric...pretty cool for time). Walked 1/4 mile to the bus stop around 6:50am and it was rather dark but lived in a well lit development so it wasn't bad so no flashlight needed. On cloudy mornings darkness lingered and the bus used their headlights. I really don't see many school buses anymore? I think parents or an adult pick up kids w/all the violence and nutjobs roaming around... 

• Weenie 1

Kelly Green is back next year (as an alternate)!  Woot!

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/29/23002155/kelly-green-eagles-alternate-jerseys-helmet-black-philadelphia-nfl-news-jeffrey-lurie-uniform-rules

I still have an old shirt and cap from the early '90s with the earlier color and logo.

f306c6ee4d832c26bbdcb245925c7e29.jpg

IMHO the design of the current "wings" on the helmet can stay though (better articulated).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Kelly Green is back next year (as an alternate)!  Woot!

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/29/23002155/kelly-green-eagles-alternate-jerseys-helmet-black-philadelphia-nfl-news-jeffrey-lurie-uniform-rules

I still have an old shirt and cap from the early '90s with the earlier color and logo.

f306c6ee4d832c26bbdcb245925c7e29.jpg

IMHO the design of the current "wings" on the helmet can stay though (better articulated).

Yes, just take the current design and change the midnight green to Kelly green. And get rid of the stupid black jerseys!!

8 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Yes, just take the current design and change the midnight green to Kelly green. And get rid of the stupid black jerseys!!

I remember when they first did that color change and insisted the color was "teal".  They apparently later decided to just call it "midnight green". :huh:

Still have to wait but hopefully they will get it right.

I was vaguely aware that the USFL was returning, but had no idea the Philadelphia Stars were too. You'd think there would be a commercial or two about tickets.

Anyway, they had a good team first time around -- Brad and Bart Oates, Kelvin Bryant, Sam Mills, Jim Mora as coach. Don't recall why they moved to Baltimore cause I think they did okay attendance wise, but after 30 years, my memory may be a little hazy on that one. Is Philly a football town, or just an Iggles town??

54 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I was vaguely aware that the USFL was returning, but had no idea the Philadelphia Stars were too. You'd think there would be a commercial or two about tickets.

Anyway, they had a good team first time around -- Brad and Bart Oates, Kelvin Bryant, Sam Mills, Jim Mora as coach. Don't recall why they moved to Baltimore cause I think they did okay attendance wise, but after 30 years, my memory may be a little hazy on that one. Is Philly a football town, or just an Iggles town??

I remember the USFL/Stars/Mora vividly and they did well in Philly...won 2 championships and there were solid players around the league. Birds signed Reggie White from USFL Memphis Showboats.

I think I heard they won't play games in Philly, all teams will play games Protective Stadium in Alabama or some other stadium in Alabama? Sounds to me FOX is getting a league together since gambling is legal in many areas and they know people like to gamble on football of any kind no matter where games are played...

57 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I remember the USFL/Stars/Mora vividly and they did well in Philly...won 2 championships and there were solid players around the league. Birds signed Reggie White from USFL Memphis Showboats.

I think I heard they won't play games in Philly, all teams will play games Protective Stadium in Alabama or some other stadium in Alabama? Sounds to me FOX is getting a league together since gambling is legal in many areas and they know people like to gamble on football of any kind no matter where games are played...

Yes, shortly after I made my post I did some more digging around and saw that -- hence the lack of buzz around here. So they're the "Philadelphia Stars" in name only. But I can watch football year round, so I'll probably tune in from time to time when there's a NHL or NBA playoff game that doesn't interest me.

6 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Yes, shortly after I made my post I did some more digging around and saw that -- hence the lack of buzz around here. So they're the "Philadelphia Stars" in name only. But I can watch football year round, so I'll probably tune in from time to time when there's a NHL or NBA playoff game that doesn't interest me.

We did used to have the Philadelphia Soul in the interim (although that indoor league went away right before the pandemic hit in 2019).

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

We did used to have the Philadelphia Soul in the interim (although that indoor league went away right before the pandemic hit in 2019).

Remember the WFL and the Philadelphia Bell? I think I still have a pennant.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Remember the WFL and the Philadelphia Bell? I think I still have a pennant.

That was back when the Flyers were flying high and would eventually get a pair of Stanley Cups (the first of which I dragged one of my sisters to go see when it was on display downtown). :lol:  Barry Ashbee ended up getting that eye injury then and was staying right across the alley at what was the old Wills Eye Hospital (which was across from my school at the time).  Me and my bunch of nuts buddies would yell out the window to the hospital calling out his name. :lmao:

• Haha 1