• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

So I just caught a strobe of light (like the one you'd see panning over neighborhoods from a police helicopter) pass over my neighbor's house and across the cul-de-sac. Caught it out of the corner of my eye on my front door camera monitor. I do live under a flight approach but did not hear anything taking off or landing. I know this is a long shot, but did anyone else see anything just now? Thinking it might have been a meteor, though I swear it looked like a focused beam. Huh. *shrugs*

• Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

So I just caught a strobe of light (like the one you'd see panning over neighborhoods from a police helicopter) pass over my neighbor's house and across the cul-de-sac. Caught it out of the corner of my eye on my front door camera monitor. I do live under a flight approach but did not hear anything taking off or landing. I know this is a long shot, but did anyone else see anything just now? Thinking it might have been a meteor, though I swear it looked like a focused beam. Huh. *shrugs*

I'm inside (for a change, lol) so I didn't see anything. There's sites for those kind of observations where you can make a report or just check to see if any similar sightings have occurred in your area/region.

I used it a few years ago for a fireball, didn't actually see it but we were on our front porch late in the evening and something lit the ground up like full moonlight, and besides the fact that there was minimal moonlight, we saw the shadow of our chimney and roof moving across the lawn, lol. I checked and that's what it was, a fireball.

Here's a link to one site:

https://www.amsmeteors.org/

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

I'm inside (for a change, lol) so I didn't see anything. There's sites for those kind of observations where you can make a report or just check to see if any similar sightings have occurred in your area/region.

I used it a few years ago for a fireball, didn't actually see it but we were on our front porch late in the evening and something lit the ground up like full moonlight, and besides the fact that there was minimal moonlight, we saw the shadow of our chimney and roof moving across the lawn, lol. I checked and that's what it was, a fireball.

Here's a link to one site:

https://www.amsmeteors.org/

Thanks for the link! Nothing on there yet. Not sure what it was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

i-m-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Flyers 10th loss in a row tonight....for the 2nd time this season!

Other rants:

-Haven't watched The Simpsons in 10-20yrs+ years and caught a episode tonight...it's flat out boring. stupid and not creative or funny. How is this show able to still survive?

-Dollar Tree raised all their prices to $1.25. False advertising...calling corporate tomorrow and may bitch about the model runs as well while on the phone even though they don't care.

14F

• Weenie 1

My only interest in the Flyers now is to see how long they can extend their losing streak and how far into irrelevancy they can fall. Oh, and I just heard a commercial for Flyers tickets, "Get yours now before they're gone!" Um...I don't think we need to worry about.

My morning rant:

Going to CVS for a single item, like a toothbrush and getting stuck in line for 20 minutes behind some moron who's doing their weekly grocery shopping there and arguing over coupons.

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Flyers 10th loss in a row tonight....for the 2nd time this season!

Other rants:

-Haven't watched The Simpsons in 10-20yrs+ years and caught a episode tonight...it's flat out boring. stupid and not creative or funny. How is this show able to still survive?

-Dollar Tree raised all their prices to $1.25. False advertising...calling corporate tomorrow and may bitch about the model runs as well while on the phone even though they don't care.

14F

Found this out yesterday as well. Thank you Biden! ;) 

Flyers are a lost cause. Until they clear the front office of the dinosaurs hanging around still like Clarke and Holmgren, they'll be stuck in this cycle of mediocrity/sucking. Their current gm currently receives too much input from those clowns and it came out that the real reason Hextall was fired is because he shut them out. Those guy's have no business having any input to create a winning product in 2021-2022. This is definitely my last year having half season tickets until some big changes are made and I know I'm not alone on that front. I honestly think the dark times are just beginning especially if they keep the front office intact after this year.

6 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

My only interest in the Flyers now is to see how long they can extend their losing streak and how far into irrelevancy they can fall. Oh, and I just heard a commercial for Flyers tickets, "Get yours now before they're gone!" Um...I don't think we need to worry about.

My morning rant:

Going to CVS for a single item, like a toothbrush and getting stuck in line for 20 minutes behind some moron who's doing their weekly grocery shopping there and arguing over coupons.

Yep. All stores should have self-checkout for 5 items or less.

*Pissed Walmart is not open 24/7 any longer. I have a screwed up schedule and thoroughly enjoyed going there at 3am to pick up misc stuff. Basically had the whole store to myself...self checkout and I'm out of there in 10-15min.

• Weenie 1

40 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Found this out yesterday as well. Thank you Biden! ;) 

Flyers are a lost cause. Until they clear the front office of the dinosaurs hanging around still like Clarke and Holmgren, they'll be stuck in this cycle of mediocrity/sucking. Their current gm currently receives too much input from those clowns and it came out that the real reason Hextall was fired is because he shut them out. Those guy's have no business having any input to create a winning product in 2021-2022. This is definitely my last year having half season tickets until some big changes are made and I know I'm not alone on that front. I honestly think the dark times are just beginning especially if they keep the front office intact after this year.

Agree w/all of this. Thing is, even in this dismal year and previous years Flyers draw well at home so they're still raking in bucks. Hockey is 4th among the major sports in Philly but those fans are die hards and go to games. They're always in the top 1/3 in attendance and currently 11/32 teams and usually better. If the Sixers or Phillies suck, their attendance goes way down. Eagles and Flyers hold their own even in bad times. Flyers need to get hit in the wallet and wise up and know fans are sick of this slop they're putting on the ice...changes in the front office need to be made.    

nhl1.jpg

50 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

*Pissed Walmart is not open 24/7 any longer. I have a screwed up schedule and thoroughly enjoyed going there at 3am to pick up misc stuff. Basically had the whole store to myself...self checkout and I'm out of there in 10-15min.

Those self checkouts and I do not always get along, especially at grocery stores!

• Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Both CVS's near to me have self-checkouts. Sometimes you have to marvel at the people who would choose to stand in line when both self-checkouts are wide open; the only thing is, that if you're buying OTC meds that require an ID check, you still need to wait for an actual cashier to come over and verify that you're not Walter White. Which then totally defeats the purpose of self-checkouts.

1 minute ago, CoolHandMike said:

Both CVS's near to me have self-checkouts. Sometimes you have to marvel at the people who would choose to stand in line when both self-checkouts are wide open; the only thing is, that if you're buying OTC meds that require an ID check, you still need to wait for an actual cashier to come over and verify that you're not Walter White. Which then totally defeats the purpose of self-checkouts.

Spray paint as well (Huffing). Walmart have employees hanging in the self checkout area when I encountered this so usually not a problem during slower times. If busy, who knows...

17 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Agree w/all of this. Thing is, even in this dismal year and previous years Flyers draw well at home so they're still raking in bucks. Hockey is 4th among the major sports in Philly but those fans are die hards and go to games. They're always in the top 1/3 in attendance and currently 11/32 teams and usually better. If the Sixers or Phillies suck, their attendance goes way down. Eagles and Flyers hold their own even in bad times. Flyers need to get hit in the wallet and wise up and know fans are sick of this slop they're putting on the ice...changes in the front office need to be made.    

nhl1.jpg

That's got to be "paid attendance" but actual attendance last night was easily no more than 15,000. There were so many empty seats plus tons on stubhub... pretty sure I saw seats 3 rows off the ice for 80 bucks, that's insane considering those are like $250+ face. It honestly reminded me of a pre season game. I think the fans have had it with the mediocrity, they were sold on this team being a contender once again this year and they are one of the worst teams in the league. I think we could see attendance fall to 06-07 level's if major changes don't happen. Hanging in the STH lounge and just shooting the shit with people, so many are just fed up and I mean some of these people are folks that have had tickets since the 70's/80's. They are a diehard fan base but any fan base can be pushed into apathy if the product isn't exciting and that's the biggest problem. The team doesn't just suck, they are boring and don't have really much young talent to look forward to in the future. I think if a Hinkie type GM came in and said we are tearing down the team with hopes we land top 5 talent in the next few drafts, fans would respond positively. Right now it's a team without a direction or identity and that is the worst combination.

8 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Those self checkouts and I do not always get along, especially at grocery stores!

You need the new Amazon Dash cart. There's a Amazon Fresh Grocery store near me....think it's the only one in PA currently? It scans stuff as you place it into the cart then easy checkout through your Amazon account as well.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

36 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

That's got to be "paid attendance" but actual attendance last night was easily no more than 15,000. There were so many empty seats plus tons on stubhub... pretty sure I saw seats 3 rows off the ice for 80 bucks, that's insane considering those are like $250+ face. It honestly reminded me of a pre season game. I think the fans have had it with the mediocrity, they were sold on this team being a contender once again this year and they are one of the worst teams in the league. I think we could see attendance fall to 06-07 level's if major changes don't happen. Hanging in the STH lounge and just shooting the shit with people, so many are just fed up and I mean some of these people are folks that have had tickets since the 70's/80's. They are a diehard fan base but any fan base can be pushed into apathy if the product isn't exciting and that's the biggest problem. The team doesn't just suck, they are boring and don't have really much young talent to look forward to in the future. I think if a Hinkie type GM came in and said we are tearing down the team with hopes we land top 5 talent in the next few drafts, fans would respond positively. Right now it's a team without a direction or identity and that is the worst combination.

That's all they really care about but they'll losing out on concessions and parking cost/fees if they don't show up.

You go to more Flyer games than myself and I'm believe you. People are pissed and don't have disposable income right now to throw away on watching a subpar team w/no direction.

30 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

11 in a row!! Good thing the Flyers changed coaches :blink:

They need to change ownership. I think they are tanking intentionally. The ownership is possibly the farthest distant ownership to team sport across the board. They could care less. Until they stop filling seats. Which may or may not ever happen. But ever since Snyder passed, the franchise isn't even a distant memory of its past identity. It is simply non-existent. Horrible. 

• Like 1