Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

We can hope, right?? :weenie:

Interesting speculation in the NYC forum, about how winter years that end in 1-2 kind of suck, for instance...

2011-12 dead ratter

2001-02 dead ratter

1991-92 m'eh, an occasional nickel & dimer in there

1981-82 a good winter as I recall

1971-72 starting to get a bit before my time, but I don't think it was anything special

Is there some sort of physical cycle at work here, or just random coincidence? I suspect the latter, but maybe that's because I'm a weenie who wants a snowy winter.

On one hand, the Pacific decadal oscillation is a thing that pros and amateurs alike have been trying to find correlations with our winter weather for, well, decades. OTOH, that would mean this winter's prone to suckage. I guess we'll find out!

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

On one hand, the Pacific decadal oscillation is a thing that pros and amateurs alike have been trying to find correlations with our winter weather for, well, decades. OTOH, that would mean this winter's prone to suckage. I guess we'll find out!

Yeah, I'm going to keep it simple this year. If I start hearing talk about Pac jet extensions, I'm closing the blinds...lol!

• Weenie 1

Eagles fans > Steelers fans though and it's not even close. Judging by the pirates and pens, when those teams suck, they're lucky to fill half the building. It's not really hard to support a winner. Eagles will probably suck this year but I bet they sell out every game. If the Steelers had the Eagles history, that franchise would probably be playing in another city before they won their first super bowl in 2017. Pittsburghers are bandwagon AF. 

• Weenie 1

40 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Eagles fans > Steelers fans though and it's not even close. Judging by the pirates and pens, when those teams suck, they're lucky to fill half the building. It's not really hard to support a winner. Eagles will probably suck this year but I bet they sell out every game. If the Steelers had the Eagles history, that franchise would probably be playing in another city before they won their first super bowl in 2017. Pittsburghers are bandwagon AF. 

Daaang. Shots fired. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

On 8/13/2021 at 5:36 PM, Phil Connors said:

Eagles almost moved to Arizona

Athletics moved to KC

Warriors moved to the golden state

Eagles almost moved to arizona because of their owner... they still drew 55,000 fans a game the year that took place despite their 3rd straight losing season so it had nothing to do with attendance.

Athletics moved in 1955 and were the 2nd pro team in the city

Warriors moved in 1962 and were the 2nd pro team in the city

Pittsburgh struggles to support their ONE franchise when they aren't doing well. I doubt you watch the Pirates like most Pittsburghers when their team sucks but if you did, you'd see they are lucky to draw 10K a night despite having the nicest park in baseball. Once Sid retires, I'm sure that the rumors of moving to KC or Houston will fire up again unless daddy Bettman gifts the franchise another generational talent so that their 'diehard fans' don't abandon the team(again). 

• Weenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

No offense but this is old news for years if you follow basketball/sports. I hope the Sixers just dock pay all year when he holds out...care less if they receive anything in return. 

This would never happen but I wish the owner would just say **** you to him and make him sit out 4 years of his prime. **** Ben Simmons, biggest bitch of all time.

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

No offense but this is old news for years if you follow basketball/sports. I hope the Sixers just dock pay all year when he holds out...care less if they receive anything in return. 

Oh I'm aware, I watch just as much Philly sports as I'm sure you do. Although, I was admittedly a Ben apologist. Thought more of him than I should have.

I saw some interesting stats about sports viewership in the Philly area in 2021. The Phillies are far and away the most watched team in this area (excluding of course a 1x a week Eagles game) averaging more than 70% more viewers than the Flyers and 50% more than the Sixers - both the Flyers and Phillies increased viewership while the Sixers actually declined slightly vs. 2020 - that seems strange as they were by far the most competitive team.

1 hour ago, Phil Connors said:

baseball has twice as many games, honestly the internet has ruined sport viewership because you can instantly see the game summary or highlights once the game is over. Same reason newspapers are dead.

Dolts like you who obviously struggle with reading comprehension & can't even correctly spell the name of city they supposedly support aren't doing the print media any favors.

• Weenie 1

14 hours ago, Phil Connors said:

baseball has twice as many games, honestly the internet has ruined sport viewership because you can instantly see the game summary or highlights once the game is over. Same reason newspapers are dead.

Phil just to clarify the amount of games has nothing to do with it - it is average viewers per game....if anything because there are more baseball games by far than any sport you would think average viewers per game would be less. Imagine if the Phillies only played 17 games like the Birds??