Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Philly Area Banter

The Iceman

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Something gotta give w/the Flyers as they are just dropping and finding ways to lose. Defense/Hart have sucked for a while but even when they play decent they screw up in other areas...forwards who can't score.. 

And meanwhile the Sixers continue to roll w/o Embiid and Curry on the late night West coast....Harris has been stepping it up since the ASB.

• Weenie 1

20 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Something gotta give w/the Flyers as they are just dropping and finding ways to lose. Defense/Hart have sucked for a while but even when they play decent they screw up in other areas...forwards who can't score.. 

Seasons over and I'd honestly like to see half this team gone next year. It isn't the coach at all. The players have majorly dropped the ball. Mental errors left and right. It's a typical inconsistent Giroux led team. His time here is done imo

• Weenie 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, MacChump said:

would love to have lowry but not at the expense of giving up maxey or milton or matisse...at some point you have to develop your draft picks instead of trading them for half a year rentals...i'm not sure they need to be in the championship or bust mode this year...

george hill to sixers for bradley, fergusson, and 2 second rounders

works for me...addresses the bench problem, lets milton play at 2 instead of PG...good job morey

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

This is becoming a pattern. Flyers lose/get smoked early then Sixers save the day late. Up 18 over the Lakers in LA in the 4th....

This is the most invested I've ever been in a sixers team. Great stuff! Doc has really cut down on the boneheaded plays near the end of games like we saw during Brown. Awesome to see the team close things out routinely this year. Bodes well for the playoffs imo

6 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

This is the most invested I've ever been in a sixers team. Great stuff! Doc has really cut down on the boneheaded plays near the end of games like we saw during Brown. Awesome to see the team close things out routinely this year. Bodes well for the playoffs imo

it's been since 2000-01 for me...

• Weenie 1

And here we go, Howie Roseman trying to be the smartest clown in the room. This draft pick was SO EASY. Either draft the best wide receiver prospect since Julio Jones or draft the best tight end prospect possibly ever. Now we will probably settle for Waddle since he run fast!!! Just when you thought this organization couldn't get any worse. This move was only made so Howie can point and say "I have 3 first rounders next year" after they go 3-13 next year. Just so fed up with that organization, it's a joke at this point. Laughing stock of the nfc east. 

Story time because I need to put this down somewhere.

Beautiful day outside, time for some early spring yardwork on our new house. I decided to try some stump removal for a bush I cut down last weekend. I'm guessing it had to be original to the house (30-ish years old) because the stratigraphy in that part of the yard is pretty interesting. From top to bottom: old mulch, red 3/4 stones, landscape fabric, large round stones, small river rocks, more landscape fabric, and then clean fill. The ginormous root cluster is oblong, about 1' x 6" and consists of multiple stumps fused together at the base. The cluster started just beneath the top landscape fabric and continues down and sideways throughout all the other layers.

I think it's osage, judging by how dense the wood is and the color of the root bark. Digging around the cluster is frustrating because of all the rocks, fabrics, and dense-ass roots. Loppers can only get through the smallest; there are multiple 2-3" thick roots shooting off into the depths. I don't want to use my chainsaw to simply cut the stumps below grade because of all the rocks, and I have no way to pull it out.

One trip to Harbor Freight and $40 later, I'm the proud new owner of a reciprocating saw. Which gummed up almost immediately. After repeatedly clearing the blade and attacking the stump from different angles, and actually getting some of the offending roots out of the way, I thought perhaps I had cleared enough dirt and rock to make some exploratory cuts with the chainsaw. I did manage to cut the cluster in half vertically with no issues, but I got greedy and tried to cut some more. Hit a rock and dulled the chain immediately thereafter. Great.

So half the cluster is out, I've got a giant pit in my back yard, and my right arm, which I thought had recovered from a recent injury is starting to tighten up again, so I think I'm done for the day. Bush: 1 Me: 0

The sucky part about all of this is that there is another stump just like this on the other side of my house. I might have to start getting inventive. I've got a whole woodshop full of tools, hmm... Maybe removing some material with a large wood boring bit might help... Oh yeah, I'm also going to have to put something over the hole for all that rain we're supposedly getting tomorrow. Dang. Still, a hella nice day to be outside, yardwork frustration notwithstanding. Anyway, thanks for reading.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Story time because I need to put this down somewhere.

Beautiful day outside, time for some early spring yardwork on our new house. I decided to try some stump removal for a bush I cut down last weekend. I'm guessing it had to be original to the house (30-ish years old) because the stratigraphy in that part of the yard is pretty interesting. From top to bottom: old mulch, red 3/4 stones, landscape fabric, large round stones, small river rocks, more landscape fabric, and then clean fill. The ginormous root cluster is oblong, about 1' x 6" and consists of multiple stumps fused together at the base. The cluster started just beneath the top landscape fabric and continues down and sideways throughout all the other layers.

I think it's osage, judging by how dense the wood is and the color of the root bark. Digging around the cluster is frustrating because of all the rocks, fabrics, and dense-ass roots. Loppers can only get through the smallest; there are multiple 2-3" thick roots shooting off into the depths. I don't want to use my chainsaw to simply cut the stumps below grade because of all the rocks, and I have no way to pull it out.

One trip to Harbor Freight and $40 later, I'm the proud new owner of a reciprocating saw. Which gummed up almost immediately. After repeatedly clearing the blade and attacking the stump from different angles, and actually getting some of the offending roots out of the way, I thought perhaps I had cleared enough dirt and rock to make some exploratory cuts with the chainsaw. I did manage to cut the cluster in half vertically with no issues, but I got greedy and tried to cut some more. Hit a rock and dulled the chain immediately thereafter. Great.

So half the cluster is out, I've got a giant pit in my back yard, and my right arm, which I thought had recovered from a recent injury is starting to tighten up again, so I think I'm done for the day. Bush: 1 Me: 0

The sucky part about all of this is that there is another stump just like this on the other side of my house. I might have to start getting inventive. I've got a whole woodshop full of tools, hmm... Maybe removing some material with a large wood boring bit might help... Oh yeah, I'm also going to have to put something over the hole for all that rain we're supposedly getting tomorrow. Dang. Still, a hella nice day to be outside, yardwork frustration notwithstanding. Anyway, thanks for reading.

A sawzall (reciprocating saw) is the best for working around dirt, with either a woodcutting blade or a branch cutting blade. I've cut out roots through the dirt and all with a battery powered one. I tried it one time with my chainsaw, and that was the last. It's like if it even sniffs the dirt it's instant dullsville.

I've used my s10 blazer with a hefty rope tied to the ball on the trailer hitch for pulling. One time I snapped a 3/8" rope and it sounded like an m80. I've used it to shake a large walnut tree one year when we had a bumper crop, had the rope tied off about 30 feet up, and actually felt the back end jump to the left a few inches when I gave it just a bit too gas, lol.

Anyway, sounds like fun, lol, good luck and hope your arm is okay!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Here's some philly banter.  Almost 2 weeks ago, on a Wednesday night there was a carjacking at gunpoint in my driveway.  My mom was on a date with a man she had recently started talking to.  They went out to an expensive restaurant in KOP and when he dropped her off, the second she got in the door, two guys came out from my front yard in ski masks and held a gun to the guy's temple demanding his keys, wallet, phone and car.  It was a less than 5 yr old jeep. Of course the police took over 30 mins to respond because Charlestown Township is under state police jurisdiction and theh were coming from Emeryville. 

So far someone found his wallet up by Temple, which is where i went to college, and the state police were eventually able to locate the car. The theifs had switched another liscense plate onto the car of the same make/model.  The police surveilled the car and waited for the suscpects to get back in.  When they did the police tried to surround the car but everyone jumped out and the car was left in drive and it actually hit an officer.  

That's pretty much the whole story as of now, they are doing finger prints and were able to get GPS location history on the car after they recovered it.  Staties said they were in some bad spots of philly, but haven't disclosed where the car was found or where the people took it in the time they had it.  I'm guessing Kensington based on where the wallet was found.  What we dont know is why they were targeted, if they were followed from KOP, if a jeep was the target or our township was the focus.  If you think about it Charlestown is a good township to do this in, theres no police force and the turnpike entrance is only 5-10 mins away with no police presence up to that point.

Totally blows my mind, I was upstairs and didn't see anything.  Need to work on a surveillance system now, we just got a video doorbell but I feel like something mounted on the roof above the driveway would be even better.  Some crazy shit.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I thought the Fly Guys were absolutely toast going into the 3rd period last night. Maddening that they slept walked through the first 2 periods, at least they showed a little moxie in the 3rd. 

I was watching March Madness for the most part but saw the score Flyers down 3 and gave up and didn't switch back. Yeah, that's a nice comeback but they still have some major problems...

1 hour ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Here's some philly banter.  Almost 2 weeks ago, on a Wednesday night there was a carjacking at gunpoint in my driveway.  My mom was on a date with a man she had recently started talking to.  They went out to an expensive restaurant in KOP and when he dropped her off, the second she got in the door, two guys came out from my front yard in ski masks and held a gun to the guy's temple demanding his keys, wallet, phone and car.  It was a less than 5 yr old jeep. Of course the police took over 30 mins to respond because Charlestown Township is under state police jurisdiction and theh were coming from Emeryville. 

So far someone found his wallet up by Temple, which is where i went to college, and the state police were eventually able to locate the car. The theifs had switched another liscense plate onto the car of the same make/model.  The police surveilled the car and waited for the suscpects to get back in.  When they did the police tried to surround the car but everyone jumped out and the car was left in drive and it actually hit an officer.  

That's pretty much the whole story as of now, they are doing finger prints and were able to get GPS location history on the car after they recovered it.  Staties said they were in some bad spots of philly, but haven't disclosed where the car was found or where the people took it in the time they had it.  I'm guessing Kensington based on where the wallet was found.  What we dont know is why they were targeted, if they were followed from KOP, if a jeep was the target or our township was the focus.  If you think about it Charlestown is a good township to do this in, theres no police force and the turnpike entrance is only 5-10 mins away with no police presence up to that point.

Totally blows my mind, I was upstairs and didn't see anything.  Need to work on a surveillance system now, we just got a video doorbell but I feel like something mounted on the roof above the driveway would be even better.  Some crazy shit.

Carjacking is on the rise in/around Philly.

That really sucks people can't go out/come home and enter their home w/o some jackoff pointing a gun at your head and taking your car/belongings. This was unheard of when I was growing up...pretty sad. Yeah, I would purchase a quality multi camera system. And yes Charlestown seems like an easy target for crime. I lived in Linfield PA for a bit and I don't believe they have a police force and Rt 422 is right there. The bank up the road was robbed twice and I guess they jumped on Rt 422 and were out of there before you know it... 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I'm glad your mom and her date weren't harmed! Yeah, who knows if they followed them from KOP. More likely they were in the neighborhood looking for an "opportunity". It sucks when you don't feel safe in your own home.

If nothing else, they have an interesting first date story to tell.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Sorry that happened - glad everyone is okay, physically at least. Hope they catch whoever did it. Sounds like a crime of opportunity, but who knows, for now at least.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:00 PM, KamuSnow said:

A sawzall (reciprocating saw) is the best for working around dirt, with either a woodcutting blade or a branch cutting blade. I've cut out roots through the dirt and all with a battery powered one. I tried it one time with my chainsaw, and that was the last. It's like if it even sniffs the dirt it's instant dullsville.

I've used my s10 blazer with a hefty rope tied to the ball on the trailer hitch for pulling. One time I snapped a 3/8" rope and it sounded like an m80. I've used it to shake a large walnut tree one year when we had a bumper crop, had the rope tied off about 30 feet up, and actually felt the back end jump to the left a few inches when I gave it just a bit too gas, lol.

Anyway, sounds like fun, lol, good luck and hope your arm is okay!

I had a wood-cutting blade installed, but your comment has made me think that I need to look at other blade options the next time I go to the hardware store. Arm is slowly getting better though, thanks!

On 3/30/2021 at 11:06 AM, ChasingFlakes said:

Sorry that happened to your mom And her date and I'm glad both are ok. Sadly these types of crime are on the rise across the region. Who would of guessed that defunding the police would have these kind of consequences but I digress... 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Leave it up to the Flyers to end Buffalo's 18 game losing streak: Buf 6  Phi 1

Disgraceful... 

Something needs to happen, and it needs to happen now. Disgraceful isn't strong enough to describe a blowout loss to a 6 win team. You'd think after what happened Monday night that this team would come out and put away the Sabres early. Instead, they get embarrassed. I literally felt sick watching them tonight.

• Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Something needs to happen, and it needs to happen now. Disgraceful isn't strong enough to describe a blowout loss to a 6 win team. You'd think after what happened Monday night that this team would come out and put away the Sabres early. Instead, they get embarrassed. I literally felt sick watching them tonight.

I'm just utterly amazed how far they have fallen. It blows my mind. They have so many issues...

• Weenie 1

If waiving Ghost was meant to send a message, epic fail!

For me, this all goes back to 2005 and the implementation of the salary cap. The Flyers have never figured out how to achieve sustained success since then. Five GMs, god knows how many coaches and it's always the same -- up against the cap and struggling to make the playoffs. And if they do make it? Maybe they win a round at best. Don't forget, if they lose that shoot out on the last game of the regular season in 2010, they don't make the playoffs and that Cup run never happens.

If Fletcher maintains they're not selling, it's only because no one wants what they're selling.

Maybe I'll buy a Kraken jersey when they become available.

• Weenie 1