Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion

madwx

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

We had a few wet flakes last year on May 10th so the above doesn't surprise me lol.

We had snow observed 5 days in a row (May 8-12), a feat never before seen at Detroit. This includes measurable snow on May 10th (0.7" imby, 0.5" DTW). I figured we'd used up our May snow quota for years...but ya never know haha

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

lol

So when is the next cutoff low set to sit and spin for days after this one?  Probably a good thing that models show no 70’s or 80’s through at least the 20th and CPC says below normal.  Would hate people to have the impression the pattern changed.

So when is the next cutoff low set to sit and spin for days after this one?  Probably a good thing that models show no 70’s or 80’s through at least the 20th and CPC says below normal.  Would hate people to have the impression the pattern changed.

definitely not going to get above 70 the rest of the month.

• Haha 1

What in the literal **** is that GFS run for southern Wisconsin for Sunday. 9 inches of snow?! ON MOTHER'S DAY?! I am up here in Green Bay and I am still annoyed at even the thought of that. Even if you were cut that in half because of it being yknow Mid-May that is still 4-5 inches of snow. Eff that. And its only 4 days out too. Same S**t different year. Uggh.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’d be banking on the Euro because:

1) it’s the superior model

and

2) the GFS is the only model that disagrees with that pattern evolution

The inferior GFS isn’t suddenly going to score one on the mighty Euro.

An inferior model leads the way sometimes.  Not saying it's the case this time though.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

I’d be banking on the Euro because:

1) it’s the superior model

and

2) the GFS is the only model that disagrees with that pattern evolution

The inferior GFS isn’t suddenly going to score one on the mighty Euro.

was this post clipped from 1999?

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Baum said:

was this post clipped from 1999?

You’re right, my comment was rather misleading. The GFS has come a long way. But in general, what I’m saying is I wouldn’t bet on any model that is completely out on an island when compared against pretty much every other model...

...especially if the model out on an island is the GFS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Looks like another long drawn-out upper level low coming for the end of next week. Hopefully it stays East. 

Beginning to remind me of the spring/summer of 2009.

I’d bet about $1000 that the summer of ‘21 will not be as cool or cooler than the summer of ‘09.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roardog said:

I’d bet about $1000 that the summer of ‘21 will not be as cool or cooler than the summer of ‘09.

I don’t think so either, hopefully there’ll be lack of persistent upper level lows and troughing in the GL regions/east. Seems like it’s been western ridge and eastern trough since 2011.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

An inferior model leads the way sometimes.  Not saying it's the case this time though.

Interestingly enough this was discussed elsewhere, and over the last month the 500mb chart comparison, Euro/GDPS/Ukie all are doing better than the GFS. It has fallen below those 2 models even, this upgrade has been a substantial downgrade. You can tell because all you need to do is compare to its own ensembles, and how the op is almost always wildly different by day 7.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Interestingly enough this was discussed elsewhere, and over the last month the 500mb chart comparison, Euro/GDPS/Ukie all are doing better than the GFS. It has fallen below those 2 models even, this upgrade has been a substantial downgrade. You can tell because all you need to do is compare to its own ensembles, and how the op is almost always wildly different by day 7.

That’s the thing, it’s not like we’re dealing with hour 372 here. Today’s GFS runs had some particularly wild swings in the D9 timeframe in particular.