Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2021 Medium/Long Range Discussion

madwx

8 hours ago, madwx said:

good news is that most signals are for April temps to be above average regionwide, especially the first half of the month.  Still can't rule out cool shots but looking better than the past few Aprils

Problem is it's a "giant ridge pushing the jet stream up to Nunavut" AA signal rather than from being in the warm sectors of SLPs with thunder and :twister:.

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Same out here in the suburbs. Many of the early flowers are up, and some trees/scrubs are budding.

Getting that here in the Western GTA. With heavy rain and temperatures in the 60s the next few days, I think by Sunday the grass looks a lot greener. The buds are getting bigger and first flowers up. Add some green grass and it will have a definite spring feel. 

reading into the medium range tea leaves, this weekend looks like it will be warmer than previously expected, the mild conditions will remain until mid week, until a brief cool shot arrives late next week and then above average temps flood the area starting easter weekend

• Like 3

13 hours ago, madwx said:

reading into the medium range tea leaves, this weekend looks like it will be warmer than previously expected, the mild conditions will remain until mid week, until a brief cool shot arrives late next week and then above average temps flood the area starting easter weekend

sounds about right, really been a p typical spring for our climo, no complaints so far, would do again

• Like 3

Euro looks thundery for Michigan next week.  Something similar to what happened on the 7th last year would be cool.
Very steep (8-9 C/km) mid-level lapse rates are forecast to get advected eastward next week, so could be some solid hailers like 4/7/20 had if there's sufficient deep layer shear.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Very steep (8-9 C/km) mid-level lapse rates are forecast to get advected eastward next week, so could be some solid hailers like 4/7/20 had if there's sufficient deep layer shear.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It looks like the warm front will be north of most of us, so probably plenty of sunshine.  The GL backdoor sag idea is gone for now at least, which I like.  It's just a matter of coverage.  Something has to break the cap at the right time.  GFS is now showing a pretty good system coming in from the west later but that's so far out still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like the snoozefest continues for the foreseeable future.  Man, what a benign spring. :weep:

Yeah, it's annoying but it's still early for us and at least it's nice out. The worst (which we seem to have seen a lot in recent years) is when a winter pattern decides to show up right around the spring equinox and persist for most of April. As posted elsewhere, any upcoming cool-down looks to be to near/slightly below normal rather than much below.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, madwx said:

the middle of the month is not looking as cool as it once did, temps look to be only average or slightly below.   The mean trough position looks to set up further west

It's a lot easier to take a "cool" period when its mid to upper 50's. 

Leaf out is going gangbusters here, about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. You can nearly watch the grass grow all of the sudden. The cool, wet pattern is really beneficial to the sod and seed I put in at the new crib last fall. 

It's nice to watch the Masters without seeing snow outside. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Leaf out is going gangbusters here, about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. You can nearly watch the grass grow all of the sudden. The cool, wet pattern is really beneficial to the sod and seed I put in at the new crib last fall. 

Yes, all of this. Coming out of work at 12:30 this afternoon it felt very much like an early spring (yes, believe it or not it is still quite early for us) day should feel. 80s is too warm, and anything where you're talking about snow is too cold at this point (in my opinion, anyway).

I find it slightly irksome that we're now in this climate pattern where you can get mid-70s or warmer at this latitude in early April and not "pay" for it in the form of a :twister: outbreak.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

It never really looked all that cool, more seasonable to even a bit above.

Long range is really really boring though.  Might as well live in Scotland.  Just hope this blocking nonsense doesn't last into May.  I'm afraid climate change is making boring blocking patterns more common just because the arctic is warming faster than the midlatitudes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

What the trees budding rapidly and some flowers being out I would say we're 2 weeks ahead of normal but about 4 weeks ahead of the last several years

3 hours ago, frostfern said:

Long range is really really boring though.  Might as well live in Scotland.  Just hope this blocking nonsense doesn't last into May.  I'm afraid climate change is making boring blocking patterns more common just because the arctic is warming faster than the midlatitudes.

I agree. It is undeniable. Springs are not what they used to be here in the OV. 

• Sad 2
  • Weenie 1