Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monday Morning 2/22 Snow Event

Ji

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Next year is your guys year! I’m feeling it. The year of off-shore/East tracking coastal that hits 95 on east and fringes NW areas. 

Can’t remember which years that happened in the early 2000s (I was living in NY), but I recall a few years in a row where NYC LI and coastal NJ got hit and my area and places NW kept seeing advisory level snowfall. 3-6” at my house in stony point and 12+ On the island with 18+ in Boston was very common. It’s been a while since we’ve seen a winter like that. It may be coming sooner than later. I don’t think what we’re seeing this year is the new normal. I think it was just a crap ton of bad luck for the 95 area. Perfect track after perfect track with one or two ingredients missing. I know my brother feels it was a literal battle to get to 20”. You guys are due!

Well typically we’re gonna need that KU blizzard to verify close to you guys. But we are kinda due for that. 2016 was the last one obviously so if not next year, odds are the following year we’d probably get that KU event. But who knows. Seems like the climate is ever changing these days 

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Your micro-climate is really fascinating.  It makes you wonder what it would be like if you had elevations of say 2500 feet in that area.

It’s a pretty good spot. It’s not just about elevation but also about proximity to other features. I could be at 1035 feet in a valley and get way less snow. But this area has several advantages. It’s the first significant ridge you hit going west from the Atlantic. So with storms that have any easterly or southerly (rare but today showed it can happen) wind component the upslope is pretty good.  Coastals that track close enough crush this area. It’s far enough east not to miss coastals but far enough west not to be rain with a hugger track. Far enough south to get mid atlantic storms but just far enough north to get in on miller b’s.  Far enough east of the Allegheny front to not suffer too much on a SW wind either. Clippers often redevelop just in time to get this area pretty good. It’s kind of perfectly located to take advantage of a lot then add in it’s the highest elevation around and that’s why it’s an extreme local snow maximum. 

If you added another 1400 in elevation without affecting the surrounding terrain that would translate to about 4-5 degrees and more upslope so you could likely tack on another 1-3” to most every event and the avg might be about 55” v 40”. 

On 2/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, clskinsfan said:

Than you are probably going to loath this event tomorrow. According to the HRRR we are 46 degrees at noon tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

@clskinsfan the HRR forecast of 46 at KOKV that you posted last night only missed by 14 degrees lol

Missed by several hours, but damn if it didn’t get to 46 at KOKV today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

A couple years ago the property next door was in foreclosure and vacant for a while.  The woman who owned it passed away and the daughter was a bit of a deadbeat and lost the property.  I actually thought it would be cool to buy it and start a B&B.  It has a lodge type layout and an amazing view with 5 acres of property and would have been amazing to host events...but it was a pipe dream.   Thought it would have been cool though.  If I ever finish the basement I would have plenty of space for "crashers" though and definitely want to host event again if anyone is interested.  

IN!! lol

• Like 1