Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Monday Morning 2/22 Snow Event

Ji

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Wow that's wild you have that much snow on the ground. I think I'm around 2 inches.

It is but damn whole different world up there lol...I only have stuff on the ground in shady spots...well before the last 20 mins lol..coated things back up but that will melt by the afternoon and nothing will be on the ground except shady spots again

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

Our last overperformer.   

Also holds record for most forgotten bust by a model.    HRRR kept insisting on just a couple of flurries while we got another widespread 4-6".

I remember the NAM showing a medium sized event for most of the area up until 6z the day of, where it showed something like 6-10" with a jackpot near DC. I glanced at it before heading to bed pretty skeptical, but it doubled down on 12z with a jackpot of like 12-18". Wasn't as insane as that, but still a super memorable storm. The unicorn pattern long range models had been pushing might've not set up shortly after that event, but that still was a pretty decent winter for most. Surprised to see that McLean got 5.5" during that February. Even more surprising given that so far this month I've tallied 6.2", which takes the crown of most snow in February since at least Feb 2015 here. Also 4th snowiest month since I started keeping track starting in March of 2015 which is.. kind of just sad lol. 

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

It is but damn whole different world up there lol...I only have stuff on the ground in shady spots...well before the last 20 mins lol..coated things back up but that will melt by the afternoon and nothing will be on the ground except shady spots again

Yeah it's pretty crazy that the temp there can be significantly colder than Westminster, which is a pretty cold, snowy location compared to most areas around here.

Of course, it also helps that he tacked on almost 6 more inches today.

I'm expecting my snowpack will be gone by the end of tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. All the ice and sleet might help it last until the end of Wednesday, but 50's and 60's this time of year with sun will melt it all real quick. Maybe keep my snowpiles through Friday? Probably should shovel what little slush is in my driveway onto those piles to keep them around as long as possible!

• Like 1

Think this has to have been one of the most difficult winters to predict preciptation types and the timing and amounts of each in quite sometime...Ive been following/studying/forecasting weather since about 2008 when I went to college for it. i cant remember a winter when the atmosphere has been so chatoic with the warm noses. We're a rate dependent area for sure...but the rates have really mattered this year in all the marginal events. Such a large gradient from PSU land to my land

Just made the trip back from Baltimore to frederick. 70 was a damn mess. Fascinating to see the different gradients of precip. Bmore was all sleet, around 29 it switched to snow and then on the warm backend in Frederick it was back to rain. Probably 6-8 people spun out in the median. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Probably. Not sure what your snow pack is. I was in PA yesterday and around York had way less then me. I have about 12-15” depth now and it’s THICK with about 5” of that being solid ice and likely 3” a qpf content. I also tend to hold “cooler” temps here. If it’s 50 in Westminster I’ll be 45. Maybe. 

Pretty incredible year up there for you. You usually do better than us out here. But not usually by this large of a margin. I am not complaining being over climo. Just making an observation. I have around 6 or 7 inches of snowpack. I expect it will be gone, except for the piles at the end of my driveway, by Friday. 

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Think this has to have been one of the most difficult winters to predict preciptation types and the timing and amounts of each in quite sometime...Ive been following/studying/forecasting weather since about 2008 when I went to college for it. i cant remember a winter when the atmosphere has been so chatoic with the warm noses. We're a rate dependent area for sure...but the rates have really mattered this year in all the marginal events. Such a large gradient from PSU land to my land

Guidance being wayy too excited with precip hasn't helped either for sure. In some cases it hasn't been close. Most if not all guidance had 0.8-1" QPF with last Thursday's system from the DC metro up through your way, with a fair bit of it falling when the column should've been supportive of at least partly if not mostly snow (4-9am). Instead all that precip  with the initial impulse of snow went north of us, and I'm not sure either of our areas got even half as much QPF as most guidance showed. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Pretty incredible year up there for you. You usually do better than us out here. But not usually by this large of a margin. I am not complaining being over climo. Just making an observation. I have around 6 or 7 inches of snowpack. I expect it will be gone, except for the piles at the end of my driveway, by Friday. 

You missed the Feb. 7th event? We got around 6.

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yea this is by far the year I’ve done the best with regard to everyone around me...even north of me. Like you said yea I’m typically the max for our area except for far western zones but this year the difference was even more extreme. 

@HighStakes my 5.5” was definitely low. Now that I’m out clearing and looking around the 5.5 area i typically measure in was a low spot. Wind was unusual with this one so snow drifted it weird ways compared to what I’m used to. The 5.5 areas are compacted down to 4.5 now but I found a general 6-8” of new depth on top of the ice on the other side of my property (downwind) of the ridge which was the opposite side of normal.  Even one foot drifts very common on the front side of my house. 
p5ph3Xq.jpg

If I simply take an average of measurements around my property between the board on my driveway, the deck, and the front walk I get 6.5” and that’s without counting the 1 foot drifts. Plus it was likely more since there has been a lot of compaction since 2 hours ago!  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, this. Our only shot at a clean event was wave 2 of the Feb 10-12 timeframe, and that one completely clipped us. Final maps for the year will be pretty telling. Payback for Jan 11-13 2019 maybe? :yikes:

And that one fringed BWI...lol So we are in a particularly bad drought of warning-criteria snow. 5 years...but we have had scenery snow at least, lol

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And that one fringed BWI...lol So we are in a particularly bad drought of warning-criteria snow. 5 years...but we have had scenery snow at least, lol

Really? I see 6.4" from that event in BWI. But yeah, it didn't all fall in a 12hr period like the warning criteria says, so I guess it isn't a true warning event for there. 4.6" for March 21 2018 which is barely off the mark there. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Really? I see 6.4" from that event in BWI. But yeah, it didn't all fall in a 12hr period like the warning criteria says, so I guess it isn't a true warning event for there. 4.6" for March 21 2018 which is barely off the mark there. 

Really? They must've revised that, because I could've sworn the official measurement from that storm was a trolling 4.8", Iol That's kinda how it's gone...everything but 5"!

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@HighStakes my 5.5” was definitely low. Now that I’m out clearing and looking around the 5.5 area i typically measure in was a low spot. Wind was unusual with this one so snow drifted it weird ways compared to what I’m used to. The 5.5 areas are compacted down to 4.5 now but I found a general 6-8” of new depth on top of the ice on the other side of my property (downwind) of the ridge which was the opposite side of normal.  Even one foot drifts very common on the front side of my house. 
p5ph3Xq.jpg

If I simply take an average of measurements around my property between the board on my driveway, the deck, and the front walk I get 6.5” and that’s without counting the 1 foot drifts. Plus it was likely more since there has been a lot of compaction since 2 hours ago!  

We need to buy up some property on "Psuhoff Ridge" and start an AmWx snow colony. That Is the Place!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic