Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Monday Morning 2/22 Snow Event

Ji

Just now, osfan24 said:

At least for this winter, it seems like @WxUSAF and I have had almost identical weather. I was curious if my location in Ellicott City would be any colder/snowier since it's a bit northwest of him (I'm just north of 40/south of 70 in western EC), but it seems like it's been basically the same.

I think you have to have done a little better than me.  I'm now at 17" for the season and I'd wager you're more like 20"?  But the bigger difference has been between us and Sykesville area.  You've definitely done better than your old house in Elkridge though I'd say.  

40 minutes ago, anotherman said:

Gonna be sad to see the snowpack go.  I've had snow on the ground at my house since January 31st.

I’m kinda hoping today’s snow was enough to withstand the warm days this week and make a run at a month. Maybe we get some next weekend. After that I’m done. Cant complain. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I think you have to have done a little better than me.  I'm now at 17" for the season and I'd wager you're more like 20"?  But the bigger difference has been between us and Sykesville area.  You've definitely done better than your old house in Elkridge though I'd say.  

Yeah, I edited my last post to add that I definitely am in a much better spot than Elkridge. I need to get a snowboard and start keeping more careful track. I just do the old eyeball. Might as well slant stick lol. I don't think I'm over 20. I'd have to go back and try to remember each event. I'm guessing I have like 18?

I agree it does seem like literally going just across 70 a few miles to my northwest seems to make a world of difference. Seems like the one poster from Sykesville has reported snow when I've had mix or rain more than a few times this year. I think Sykesville, and especially once you get into Eldersburg, seems like a definite step up in the snow game.

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The gradient of total seasonal snowfall between laurel/elkridge, ellicott city, sykesville, and taneytown is actually pretty mind blowing this winter. Ranges from about 15” to 50+“ within a 40 mile span. I know it’s colder up north, but that seems like way wider of a discrepancy than usual.  (It definitely is based on all of the animosity received this season)

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Amazing! My son goes to school at the Mount, and he’s so over this winter already lol. I just sent him a troll text with a ton of falling snowflakes :lol:

congrats on the cash in! Enjoy friend. 

He must of not taken after you if he's done with Winter already :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

The gradient of total seasonal snowfall between laurel/elkridge, ellicott city, sykesville, and taneytown is actually pretty mind blowing this winter. Ranges from about 15” to 50+“ within a 40 mile span. I know it’s colder up north, but that seems like way wider of a discrepancy than usual. 

Definitely a much stronger gradient than usual.  Hell, I have 6-7" more than BWI. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

5” on the dot. Looks like that’ll be all she wrote as a slight snow / sleet mix is all that remains overhead. Helluva morning. Think there will be some 6-7” reports to my west and east in the higher elevated areas like Thurmont or PSU’ville

Got 5.5 but could have been more I’m teaching and couldn’t clear when sleet started to mix the last hour. Lot of compaction so the last band didn’t add any depth even though it was puking snow/sleet for 30 mins. But since I didn’t clear the area I can’t get a perfect measurement and I don’t want to guess and inflate so the final depth of 5.5 was what I recorded. It was very likely 6 had I done it correctly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jayyy said:

The gradient of total seasonal snowfall between laurel/elkridge, ellicott city, sykesville, and taneytown is actually pretty mind blowing this winter. Ranges from about 15” to 50+“ within a 40 mile span. I know it’s colder up north, but that seems like way wider of a discrepancy than usual.  (It definitely is based on all of the animosity received this season)

Yeah, I'm glad the northern folks have actually managed a pretty good winter. Think most people along (once you get a bit farther west than me) and north of 70 have had a nice winter and are either at or above climo with a month to go.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Got 5.5 but could have been more I’m teaching and couldn’t clear when sleet started to mix the last hour. Lot of compaction so the last band didn’t add any depth even though it was puking snow/sleet for 30 mins. But since I didn’t clear the area I can’t get a perfect measurement and I don’t want to guess and inflate so the final depth of 5.5 was what I recorded. It was very likely 6 had I done it correctly. 

I noticed you recorded 0.9 on 2/5. I have nothing recorded and no recollection. 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Yes I can vouch for over on this side...about 10-11" but some of the heaviest snow of the year right now...go figure. Too bad it wont last.

Just now, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

And between you and me (close in DC burbs) it's a huge gradient.  I probably have about 6 inches on the season.  

It's very unusual.  I think largely due to the fact that the cities and 95 corridor didn't have 1 pure snowstorm this year.  Every single one has mixed.  If we had a uniform 4-7" storm once even, that would have smoothed some of these gradients.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, anotherman said:

I’m thinking only piles remain by the end of the week. Hope I’m wrong. It’s been a good run, whatever happens.

Probably. Not sure what your snow pack is. I was in PA yesterday and around York had way less then me. I have about 12-15” depth now and it’s THICK with about 5” of that being solid ice and likely 3” a qpf content. I also tend to hold “cooler” temps here. If it’s 50 in Westminster I’ll be 45. Maybe. 

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It's very unusual.  I think largely due to the fact that the cities and 95 corridor didn't have 1 pure snowstorm this year.  Every single one has mixed.  If we had a uniform 4-7" storm once even, that would have smoothed some of these gradients.  

Yeah, this. Our only shot at a clean event was wave 2 of the Feb 10-12 timeframe, and that one completely clipped us. Final maps for the year will be pretty telling. Payback for Jan 11-13 2019 maybe? :yikes:

Probably. Not sure what your snow pack is. I was in PA yesterday and around York had way less then me. I have about 12-15” depth now and it’s THICK with about 5” of that being solid ice and likely 3” a qpf content. I also tend to hold “cooler” temps here. If it’s 50 in Westminster I’ll be 45. Maybe. 

Probably have around 9-10 inches of snowpack, and it’s icy.

Just now, Cobalt said:

Yeah, this. Our only shot at a clean event was wave 2 of the Feb 10-12 timeframe, and that one completely clipped us. Final maps for the year will be pretty telling. Payback for Jan 11-13 2019 maybe? :yikes:

Our last overperformer.   

Also holds record for most forgotten bust by a model.    HRRR kept insisting on just a couple of flurries while we got another widespread 4-6".

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Wow that's wild you have that much snow on the ground. I think I'm around 2 inches.

14 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I noticed you recorded 0.9 on 2/5. I have nothing recorded and no recollection. 

It fell between like 4-6am and melted on non snow surfaces by 8am. It was a quick thump band from the “cutter” kind of similar to today but MUCH weaker and not as cold.  It got really warm that afternoon. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic