Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Monday Morning 2/22 Snow Event

Ji

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

It’s a stat padder for you NW guys no doubt. But I’m not gonna believe a couple 10:1 maps that put down 4-6” in my neck of the woods during the middle of the day with temps generally above freezing. The only thing this has going for it is the cold antecedent temps before precipitation that maybe makes the ground colder than it would normally be. That likely helps some folks for a couple hours late Monday morning 

I'm not expecting concrete accumulations but I'm game for some old sleet refreshing. The grass looks like one of Ellenwoods old maps with that translucent gray...I mean i don't live in Fairfax County for gosh sakes

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

It’s a stat padder for you NW guys no doubt. But I’m not gonna believe a couple 10:1 maps that put down 4-6” in my neck of the woods during the middle of the day with temps generally above freezing. The only thing this has going for it is the cold antecedent temps before precipitation that makes the ground colder than it would normally be. That likely helps some folks for a couple hours late Monday morning 

C'mon this is a helluva setup for the lowlands. 

1613995200-8cqjBM8e4T8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

25 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm not expecting concrete accumulations but I'm game for some old sleet refreshing. The grass looks like one of Ellenwoods old maps with that translucent gray...I mean i don't live in Fairfax County for gosh sakes

The difference between Leesburg and the northwestern tip of Loudoun County is stark.  I still have 100% snow cover with 5-6 inches and 50% cover on my access road.  I drive into Hillsboro and it has all but disapeared.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Ramjet said:

The difference between Leesburg and the northwestern tip of Loudoun County is stark.  I still have 100% snow cover with 5-6 inches and 50% cover on my access road.  I drive into Hillsboro and it has all but disapeared.

Yeah Leesburg has had a less than great year...the fact that Sykesville is doing about 5-6" better in what would typically be a similar climate shows how this year is more lat than long for storms.

46 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Don’t be angry that you’re uncultured and afraid of the big time.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Good  rates and morning start on Cold ground = accumulating snow :snowing:

Unless its rain :yikes:

After certainly a cold morning, it’s already 30 here in Baltimore with the sun blasting. So ground may not be as cold here as even I thought come tomorrow. N of the fall line I’m sure a lot better though 

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Its pretty much snowed or had a chance to snow every week for awhile now...if just one of these mf'ers had hit flush this winter would have a whole different feeling 

Yeah that’s what’s most disappointing. We’ve had the chances. I understand NW folks are pretty happy with the results for the most part but us metro guys, it’s just been disappointment after disappointment. All the chances and not one verified warning event. Snow wise anyway 

I have had a snow pack for the entire month but somehow I feel I missed out.  Or ‘we’ missed out since other members of the forum have seen even less. So weird after zippo the past few years. I’ll be happy to get another inch. Not getting my hopes up per the seasonal trend for things to dry up as soon as they pass the mountain.  

34 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

After certainly a cold morning, it’s already 30 here in Baltimore with the sun blasting. So ground may not be as cold here as even I thought come tomorrow. N of the fall line I’m sure a lot better though 

Cold ground isn't the issue. It's the rapidly warming low and mid level temps with the southerly flow. Might be a little better if we could invert the Low and High position. B)

36 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Yeah that’s what’s most disappointing. We’ve had the chances. I understand NW folks are pretty happy with the results for the most part but us metro guys, it’s just been disappointment after disappointment. All the chances and not one verified warning event. Snow wise anyway 

You could see a coating to an inch in your hood if everything times out right, but this is clearly a northern tier deal. My temp will probably be 36 before the precip even arrives, so maybe some mangled flakes for a few mins.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@CAPE there is a wave developing on the front as it passes us and there is a lot of very dry air in front of it that will cool as it saturates.  I agree it’s a long shot 95 SE but the only reason it’s not a straight up line of rain showers is it’s not a typical simple cold front passage. 

Yeah I get that, but it's still tough to overcome the southerly flow ahead of it on the coastal plain. It is possible the GEM/RGEM have the right idea, and that would work out pretty well for Baltimore proper even, and maybe get a little snow here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

Certainly a cold morning here but I wonder how much colder it would have been if the ground were white and not brown.  Friday's relative warmth and Saturday's sun were enough to melt the (almost) 1" I received - at least in non-shady areas.  Quite the contrast with the few of you to the north who have had full snow cover for several weeks 

Likely comes down to rates - an inch or two of snow is only a few tenths of precipitation  - it could happen

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic