• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021-2022 ENSO

On 1/27/2023 at 12:16 PM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I'm actually waiting for my posts to be approved.. Climatology shows that a strong subsurface warm pool right now leads strong NIno's such as '82 and '97. I think in a larger range of year you would have different results, I think we are going into El Nino, but maybe Weak or Moderate. (It could go strong, and have the N. Pacific have a base -PDO state, such as 72-73.)

It's not going to be like '82 or '97...we just had one of those 7 years ago.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:16 PM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

I'm actually waiting for my posts to be approved.. Climatology shows that a strong subsurface warm pool right now leads strong NIno's such as '82 and '97. I think in a larger range of year you would have different results, I think we are going into El Nino, but maybe Weak or Moderate. (It could go strong, and have the N. Pacific have a base -PDO state, such as 72-73.)

Certainly well within  the realm of possibility.

• Weenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive how much colder the Indian Ocean has been year/year with this La Nina. The volcano likely helped destroy the warmth east of Australia too. 

My idea from October was a wetter than average / colder than average winter in the Southwest. That's pretty likely to verify in at least some spots despite the La Nina. The localized +5F winter for New England may also verify.

Screenshot-2023-02-13-6-15-39-PM

Screenshot-2023-02-13-6-15-18-PM

• 3 weeks later...

The western subsurface waters are really warm so it has plenty of fuel...

It waned a little bit but March isn't late for a Strong Nino to still take hold. What I worry about is this constant -PNA in the N. Pacific, which models have even at D-15 now. Usually there is a small, but decent correlation between developing ENSO events and N. Pacific pattern in the late Winter. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hadley Cell expansion index (my estimation) is about equal to a +3-4c El Nino right now. This correlates with -PNA conditions, and a -NAO in 1-2 years time, (it lifts up to -nao/ao+time). This means that to match the highest frequency globally right now, we would have to have at least a +3c Nino 3.4 El Nino (+4c longer term). 

(a negative -nao/ao from this is not organic, so over the course of, say, a decade it would not dominate. an example of this is Winter 09-10, hadley cell expansions move up and out to release.) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Paul Roundy is on the strong El Niño train. In previous tweets he said he believes this is going to be a very significant event, believes it may go strong

It reminds me of this time last year when the hype was about how strong the Nina was going to be. That hype didn’t pan out.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...