• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021-2022 ENSO

f372.thumb.gif.4e0179e662e5d37b8a51fa9e7dd5a69f.gif

I had a -PNA signal in March. The same thing was November, where it was based on SSTs, and PDO stuff, roll-forward (-PNA), we know that Nov turned out like this^, but then December blasted -PNA, maybe we'll see that -PNA again in April?

A -PNA April would be against a developing El Nino (subsurface warming), but based on what we saw last year it may just be a -wave in an otherwise +ENSO trend.

(I think La Nina will be gone completely in 1-2 months.)

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:46 PM, raindancewx said:

Subsurface data finished at -0.2 for January 2022. If you like the subsurface as the pattern indicator in real time, currently much weaker event than last year in the 100-180W zone, when the subsurface was -1.0 or so. The subsurface actually moved a tiny bit above average (warm) in the most recently weekly update from CPC.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ocean/index/heat_content_index.txt

Sunspot data has been interesting. Up to over 40 sunspots/month since July. Still trending up pretty rapidly. 

My winter forecast assumed there would be some kind of major cold dump into New Mexico / Texas in February. It's a bit early, but we could have a high of 28F or something - that's very cold. After today, the first week of February looks very cold with highs in the 20s, 30s, and 40s, when average is about 50. Some of our mountains will get 20 inches of snow or more with the coming system. I did flag it in mid-January using the massive Rex Block by Kamchatka, but no one cares. Even mentioned it would be a cold system. The joke is the "benchmark" for the NE has a translation spot in the North Pacific at 17-21 days out, and so the big system for New England was there a few days before the setup below.

My guess is that may be why we aren't going to be seeing the late season SSW and blocking that I figured we may with the cool east-based ENSO easterly QBO combo.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:37 PM, GaWx said:

Well, it looks like La Niña barely made it to moderate per my definition on an ONI basis with a -1.0 C despite a weekly peak of only -1.1. I was thinking a -1.2 would have been needed:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

For all practical purposes, this will go down as borderline weak/moderate La Niña. So @40/70 Benchmark nailed it. Kudos!

Thanks, Larry. @StruThiOis correct, though....this event was def. much more coupled with the atmosphere than last season's event, which I was mindful of if you read my outlook. Some real mixed results for me this season...I had December/January reversed from what actually transpired, as I had the PNA being in December...oops. I don't think I am far off in the aggregate, but struggled with timing. Snowfall forecast has largely worked out in the mid atl and near the coast of SNE, but I am looking pretty bad right now across interior NE. It looks good for the big finish that I expected, but not because of a SSW....more Pacific driven. If it works out, I will definitely be transparent about that, as always.

I guess if you need to make up ground late in terms of snowfall, its good to not need it to the south and near the coast, which I do not for the most part.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 2:39 AM, so_whats_happening said:

You were much more humble before I really did enjoy reading your posts but this just doesn't help. Not sure what got to you but hopefully it doesn't keep affecting you.

I have gotten like that at times....mother nature has her own way of handling that. :lol:

On 2/6/2022 at 4:24 PM, StormchaserChuck! said:

We'll do at best Moderate El Nino. I don't even know if it will be El Nino at all because of rising/ascending solar phase underperforming historically favors La Nina. April-May may see a blip in Nino 3,3.4 to +0.3/+0.4 something like that. If there is an El Nino wave it will happen in August..  09-10 might be a good analog for next Winter, although it was an awkward Winter. 

Funny you say that...some of my early ideas have been for a potential modoki year, though I do not think that the sun is that quiet anymore. I was wondering about '02-'03.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:03 AM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Funny you say that...some of my early ideas have been for a potential modoki year, though I do not think that the sun is that quiet anymore. I was wondering about '02-'03.

Yeah unfortunately we wasted our quiet sun years on a weak sauce el niño that never coupled, followed by a AO++++ of disaster the next winter...oof! But do tell about 02'-03' :lol:

49 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah unfortunately we wasted our quiet sun years on a weak sauce el niño that never coupled, followed by a AO++++ of disaster the next winter! But do tell about 02'-03' :lol:

Not much to tell....just basically thinking out loud. But it is a year I will take a look depending how things shake out.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks, Larry. @StruThiOis correct, though....this event was def. much more coupled with the atmosphere than last season's event, which I was mindful of if you read my outlook. Some real mixed results for me this season...I had December/January reversed from what actually transpired, as I had the PNA being in December...oops. I don't think I am far off in the aggregate, but struggled with timing. Snowfall forecast has largely worked out in the mid atl and near the coast of SNE, but I am looking pretty bad right now across interior NE. It looks good for the big finish that I expected, but not because of a SSW....more Pacific driven. If it works out, I will definitely be transparent about that, as always.

I guess if you need to make up ground late in terms of snowfall, its good to not need it to the south and near the coast, which I do not for the most part.

there's another interesting side issue here....if we have a developing el nino for next winter doesn't that enhance the risk for a developing late season snowstorm a la April 1982 and 1997? It would have to be a big el nino to increase that risk though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past winter was very cold in some of the ENSO regions, just not the regions CPC uses to determine strength. Almost a perfect blend of 2017-18 and 1967-18 though across the four zones. I had mentioned both of those years quite a bit in my outlook. A lot of recent actual weather has looked like a blend of those years too. 

Dec-Feb      Nino  1.2      Nino  3     Nino 3.4     Nino 4

1967-68       22.87C      24.36C     25.77C       27.91C

2017-18        23.31C      24.66C     25.72C       27.92C

Blend            23.09C      24.51C      25.75C       27.92C 

2021-22       23.04C      24.50C      25.66C       27.85C

That Nino 1.2 temperature is second coldest for winter since 1950-51. It's remarkable how little headway it made to the West. That's the main reason I've not been impressed with this event. There are a lot of years where the coldest waters can't get past 150W, and the real powerful La Ninas can shut down the convection in Nino 4. 

Nino 3 was within 0.2C of 2007-08 for winter, but Nino 3.4 was 0.7C warmer. Last year was much colder in Nino 4, and somewhat colder in Nino 3.4. Those are bigger zones than the Nino 3 and Nino 1.2 combo, and since 2021 started cold, while 2020 did not, I ultimately consider the cool down/strength of 2021-22 less impressive than the prior year. 

You can see on Tropical Tidbits that there has been rapid warming this month in Nino 1.2 and Nino 3, as the warmth below the surface in February surfaces. We'll see how things go, but there isn't a clear signal for the next winter by rolling forward the objective closest matches for the winter or the past 12 months. My gut is a true Neutral though.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 4:47 PM, raindancewx said:

This past winter was very cold in some of the ENSO regions, just not the regions CPC uses to determine strength.

It's a huge issue and the largest flaw with ONI, imo. The most egregious recent example is 2018 - a weak el nino if you go by CPC, when the reality - consisting of extreme warmth (both in magnitude and duration) in nino 4, a record positive PMM, 315+ ACE in the EPac, etc... were all indicative of a +ENSO event stronger in magnitude than weak.

There are a lot of years where the coldest waters can't get past 150W, and the real powerful La Ninas can shut down the convection in Nino 4. 

Convection in nino 4 and around the Dateline - as measured by OLR - has been generally shut down since spring of 2020. This winter was no exception

You can see on Tropical Tidbits that there has been rapid warming this month in Nino 1.2 and Nino 3, as the warmth below the surface in February surfaces. We'll see how things go, but there isn't a clear signal for the next winter by rolling forward the objective closest matches for the winter or the past 12 months.

Yep.. it's the downwelling wave that initiated back in December. While very strong trades prevail over the Dateline, trades are actually weaker than normal in the far east Pacific where this (attenuated) Kelvin wave is beginning to surface. Something to watch.

On a personal note, I would like to say that I appreciate your diligence. Any disagreements we may have had does not change that :)

For the rest of y'all, you should probably mentally prepare yourselves for yet another active hurricane season.

17 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Is the abnormal warming of the west pac directly correlated to a certain la nina? (And if so, why?)

Anomalous warmth around the Maritime Continent helps to anchor convection and strengthen the Walker circulation via increased ascent over the region. This results in increased subsidence downstream over the EPac (what goes up must come down) and the surface pressure gradient tightens due to the difference between lower pressure over Indonesia and higher pressure over the EPac. The stronger trades that results then pushes the WPac warm pool westward and causes it to "pile up" at depth, amplifying the thermocline.

13 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

we might need climate modification to end la nina from what I've been reading about the abnormal warming of the west pac

This might be a permanent condition now

..and due to the increased warmth at depth over the WPac that naturally results from La Nina conditions / enhanced trades, there's ample "fuel" for initiation of robust downwelling Kelvin waves whenever MJO events and associated westerly wind bursts pushes through the Pacific. This happened in December.. and it's generally how La Nina self terminates. Don't see why it would be any different in the future

6 hours ago, StruThiO said:

..and due to the increased warmth at depth over the WPac that naturally results from La Nina conditions / enhanced trades, there's ample "fuel" for initiation of robust downwelling Kelvin waves whenever MJO events and associated westerly wind bursts pushes through the Pacific. This happened in December.. and it's generally how La Nina self terminates. Don't see why it would be any different in the future

We'll find out in a few years I guess, we've never had more than a three year la nina have we?

Why are multiyear la ninas more common than multiyear el ninos?

Most interesting part of this event for me is how cold it has been out here in both February & March. That was in the 1974-75 analog, and it's verified quite well locally. Current Feb-Mar is running coldest in town since 1998. Been a very good period for the high terrain feeding the Rio Grande. 

As is always the case, the cold potent storms in March-May down here end up producing substantial severe weather.

• Like 1

Some early criteria to look at for winter 2022-23:

- High Solar

- Following Two La Nina winters in a row (<26.0C in Nino 3.4 in DJF), although I did fudge this a bit to include 1997, 2013.

1951, 1956, 1968, 1972, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2012, 2013

If you split the group into +ENSO and -ENSO following two La Ninas, you get one of two options.

The El Ninos -

Screenshot-2022-03-28-5-56-11-PM

Cold ENSOs -

Screenshot-2022-03-28-5-56-43-PM

Year-to-date locally (i.e. ~1/4 of the year), several of these years are near perfect matches to observed temperatures:

1951, 1956, 1968, 1972, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2012, 2013

ABQ Average Temperature 1/1-3/28.

40 2007-03-28 41.3 0
- 2001-03-28 41.3 0
- 1945-03-28 41.3 0
43 1998-03-28 41.2 0
44 2002-03-28 41.0 0
45 1992-03-28 40.9 0
- 1974-03-28 40.9 0
- 1938-03-28 40.9 0
48 2022-03-28 40.8 1
- 2013-03-28 40.8 0