• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just spent some time perusing our Spring-thread from last year....Wow, it's amazing how things were just a year ago in March.

Similarities

1) Entering Spring off of a sucky winter.

2) Syracuse winter sucked.

3) First big warmup came the 2nd week of March. (Almost identical this year)

4) Modeled snowstorms for later March (although we did get some snowfalls)

Differences

1) Stores have more toilet paper now

2) Somebody said "Cuomo was killing it" as governor and he was getting high praise. Hmmmmmm.... (lol)

3) THANK goodness we started a Banter/Discussion thread..... 

4) Rochester joined the sucky winter crowd this year.

5) Society was shutting down....on the upswing pretty much exactly a year later. (We thought it would only be a 3 to 6 week shut down at this time last year...lol)

To be Determined...

1) Will the Southern Tier synoptic snow train continue this spring?

2) Will we have more snow chances in April than we did in January again?

3) Will we be looking at snow maps in early to Mid-May again?

4) Will @BuffaloWeather promise me again that Syracuse does see epic snowstorms and I will see them next year?

5) Will it go straight from snow to 80 to 90 degrees again in May?

6) Will I be the only one happy to still be seeing snow in April and May while Buffwx and @Syrmax have meltdowns because they want to sit by their pools in heat?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Just spent some time perusing our Spring-thread from last year....Wow, it's amazing how things were just a year ago in March.

Differences

1) Stores have more toilet paper now

2) Somebody said "Cuomo was killing it" as governor and he was getting high praise. Hmmmmmm.... (lol)

3) THANK goodness we started a Banter/Discussion thread..... 

4) Rochester joined the sucky winter crowd this year.

5) Society was shutting down....on the upswing pretty much exactly a year later. (We thought it would only be a 3 to 6 week shut down at this time last year...lol)

Cuomo was indeed killing it....I just don't think they realized what the "it" was at the time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The entire country got quite a bit of snow this year.

image.png.74f797af9f62c9646bf1365f5ccf6af4.png

This map sent me on a hunt for annual snowfall numbers for the midsection of the US. That area of blue in central and eastern KS through central MO (with a bit more blue in and near St. Louis) looks pretty bad, but those are areas which only average 12-15 inches, so they're not far off the mark. The Dakotas (especially ND) seem to have gotten the shaft this winter -- ND looks to average about 35-45 inches across most of the state, but the SE of the state maxes out at 2 ft+, and a huge chunk of ND was at 1 ft or less. Of course, they can get late season storms, so it's not over for them like it probably is in KS.

I didn't know South Dakota did so much worse that ND - the snowiest part of SD seems to be the Black Hills, which look more like ND, but the rest of the state seems to get snowfalls totals in the 15-25 inch range on average, closer to places like Idaho , northern Illinois/Indiana/Ohio than to MN/WI, which are due east.

3 hours ago, WNash said:

This map sent me on a hunt for annual snowfall numbers for the midsection of the US. That area of blue in central and eastern KS through central MO (with a bit more blue in and near St. Louis) looks pretty bad, but those are areas which only average 12-15 inches, so they're not far off the mark. The Dakotas (especially ND) seem to have gotten the shaft this winter -- ND looks to average about 35-45 inches across most of the state, but the SE of the state maxes out at 2 ft+, and a huge chunk of ND was at 1 ft or less. Of course, they can get late season storms, so it's not over for them like it probably is in KS.

I didn't know South Dakota did so much worse that ND - the snowiest part of SD seems to be the Black Hills, which look more like ND, but the rest of the state seems to get snowfalls totals in the 15-25 inch range on average, closer to places like Idaho , northern Illinois/Indiana/Ohio than to MN/WI, which are due east.

Yeah the central and southern states are all well above average. Everyone else that gets a real winter is below besides the west coast. Mt Rainer averages 650-700" a year so I think they are below normal as well. 

Check this out from last year over there. This is where @TugHillMatt needs to move. 

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-01-14-snow-depth-increases-nearly-100-inches-january-mount-rainier#:~:text=You can see how the,feet) of snow per season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WNash said:

South Dakota usually gets some huge spring storms. Those numbers will probably go up quite a bit still.  The front range also will make up a lot of ground over the next 6 weeks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying MXZ said:

Nice day of riding on the tug. Stayed below freezing all day it seemed. Still a bit of snow in spots. 

9F242545-A71C-44BB-8E61-3B125EE7E285.jpeg

We had a high here of 33F so I bet most or all of the Tug stayed below freezing.

Where did you ride?  That pic looks great.

Still has a wintry look in the Bville area. Took this pic right in the village. I'd say we still have about 70% coverage? Several inches of white concrete with some powder still left on top from the this weekend's lake effect snow. Places that get full sun all day are of course bare.

158648567_796096974329326_3815820947131364792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=THCimm5D0I8AX-wjZ73&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&tp=7&oh=38e2477c55fb092912d16161ced3dc8f&oe=606B3A37