• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

8 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I’ve been watching the weather for this next weekend because I’m going skiing in ADK’s. For a solid 3 weeks it’s showed incredible warmth and rain. Not one run has it vacillated. 
It’s comical because we’ve lost a GOOD forecast inside of 6 hours. But this one has been etched in g-d granite. And it will be crap. 
Oh well. We’ll still have a good time. We’ll have to take the focus off of skiing and put it where it should be- on each other. Family time! 

You booked a trip the second week of March, I mean that has spring skiing written all over it from the get go.  Enjoy the the aspects of spring skiing for what they are.  I'm heading out Wednesday when it hits 60 and I couldn't be more excited.  The base is amazing, most places are 100% open, it's perfect spring ski conditions.  Get after it, have fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

You booked a trip the second week of March, I mean that has spring skiing written all over it from the get go.  Enjoy the the aspects of spring skiing for what they are.  I'm heading out Wednesday when it hits 60 and I couldn't be more excited.  The base is amazing, most places are 100% open, it's perfect spring ski conditions.  Get after it, have fun!

I hear ya. Thanks for the pep talk (was it that?lol). It’s more the rain I’m concerned about. Base is 18-40”, so it SHOULD survive. 
It’s just amusing that THIS forecast has literally been a lock for 3 weeks when a decent forecast has difficulty surviving a single 6 hour iteration. Lol. 

7 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I hear ya. Thanks for the pep talk (was it that?lol). It’s more the rain I’m concerned about. Base is 18-40”, so it SHOULD survive. 
It’s just amusing that THIS forecast has literally been a lock for 3 weeks when a decent forecast has difficulty surviving a single 6 hour iteration. Lol. 

It was definitely a bit of a pep talk.  It's hard to shift gears and stop focusing on POW days and big storms but the time has come.  The base is very solid and I think a lot of places will be open into mid April. Rain definitely sucks, but the few rain chances on the horizon look fairly transient so hopefully not too bad.  Spring skiing definitely has its perks, no goggle issues or goggles in general, less layers, more lift beers and parking lot tailgating, soft slushy moguls you can just bomb through, bright sunshine and warm air on your face, etc etc.  I dunno, Spring skiing is my favorite thing next to a big pow storm.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

6-8 inches is the forecast and not even an advisory. Has to be a joke right?

They mention it’s a low confidence setup and has a high fluff factor if it pans out which limits impact. Couple that with high sun angles limiting any real road impacts and I think it’s probably not worth riling people up.  

Does anyone really think they are getting 6-8”? That would tie me for the biggest event of the season. I’m not seeing it with strong winds and a cap around 5k. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

April and May cold sucks but lets not pretend its winter type cold. Its 44F and rain in April (average high in the 50s for most) and May is 50s and rain (average high quickly getting into upper 60s and lower 70s) 

Toronto averages 2" of snow in April and in all my years living in the GTA only two April storms stick in my mind. April 2003 sleet storm and April 2018 Winter Storm. That 2018 storm was a rare event for me where I genuinely got excited haha. 3-4" of snow/sleet and hours of freezing rain causing an ice storm. Most April snow events are 33F and wet snow at night that accumulates 0.5" a few times throughout the month and its gone by 10am with clouds and 41F. Those events I couldnt care less about. 

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

They mention it’s a low confidence setup and has a high fluff factor if it pans out which limits impact. Couple that with high sun angles limiting any real road impacts and I think it’s probably not worth riling people up.  

Does anyone really think they are getting 6-8”? That would tie me for the biggest event of the season. I’m not seeing it with strong winds and a cap around 5k. 

One can only hope for a late season surprise. 

• Like 2

Looking at the models and seeing the best snows setting up YET AGAIN from the hills just south of Syracuse to just north of Binghamton makes me :facepalm:

Still puzzled on Syracuse's seasonal average. Everything goes north and south. I keep saying it's just a blip, but it's been the same CRAP the two winters I've been here. One event after another.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Looking at the models and seeing the best snows setting up YET AGAIN from the hills just south of Syracuse to just north of Binghamton makes me :facepalm:

Still puzzled on Syracuse's seasonal average. Everything goes north and south. I keep saying it's just a blip, but it's been the same CRAP the two winters I've been here. One event after another.

Yeah, I’m thinking this could be another finger lakes hit. As Delta mentioned, the winds are too strong; especially for the lake plain. Need a little elevation to make this one work. 
You’ll notice Tim ain’t even here...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

It’s a f***ing mystery wrapped up in an enigma...makes no F”ING sense.  There are no advisories or anything so if it snows more than 6”, my legal team will be getting involved. :blahblah:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

It’s a f***ing mystery wrapped up in an enigma...makes no F”ING sense.  There are no advisories or anything so if it snows more than 6”, my legal team will be getting involved. :blahblah:

lol

You can see how on radar that band that was working south from Oswego county disappeared and then fired up once it skipped over us. :lol: