• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

This weekend has done quite some damage to our snowpack, but I am thinking we'll have a solid snowcover (in most places) for another week. Wednesday could make another hit at it...but from eyeballing things, I am guessing there's still a 6 inch snowpack on average? Deeper in a lot of places, but there are a few thin spots showing up where the snow blew away and the southern exposed knolls along roads.

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

This weekend has done quite some damage to our snowpack, but I am thinking we'll have a solid snowcover (in most places) for another week. Wednesday could make another hit at it...but from eyeballing things, I am guessing there's still a 6 inch snowpack on average? Deeper in a lot of places, but there are a few thin spots showing up where the snow blew away and the southern exposed knolls along roads.

I still have a solid snowpack except I’m starting to see some bare spots where there’s drainage and also under trees where the snow depth was less and the warmth from the tree trunk absorbing solar radiation warms the air. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I still have a solid snowpack except I’m starting to see some bare spots where there’s drainage and also under trees where the snow depth was less and the warmth from the tree trunk absorbing solar radiation warms the air. 

Yeah, I can see that a bit here as well. Then the woods across from my window look like they still have over a foot in them. Definitely varied snow amounts...but mostly solid snowcover. Unlike others on here, I'm all about keeping it as long as possible. The warm season will be here soon enough for months and months.

It will be windy on Monday with generally falling temperatures.
Winds will strengthen to near advisory criteria east and southeast
of Lake Ontario later in the day. While the bulk of the day will be
dry...the deepening cold air will start to support lake snow showers
southeast of the lakes by mid afternoon. More importantly...snow
showers and squalls ahead of a secondary cold front will be found
across the forecast area after 21z (4 PM). These could be heavy
enough to have locally significant impacts to the evening commute.

Expansive high pressure over the Upper Mississippi valley Monday
evening will drift east to the Upper Ohio Valley and Lower Great
Lakes during the course of Monday night. This will aid in directing
very cold air into our region with H85 temps falling to -22c. The
cold sub arctic air will encourage some nuisance lake effect snow
on a 310-320 flow.

NAM and RegGEM blend.

Once again Canadian stands alone lol Most SR guidance has trace amounts here if that lol

1841001603_sn10_acc.us_ne-2021-02-28T173527_263.thumb.png.2d250588a3e13ab47d3d877a741dce15.png

I have to side with the SRG because the AF that barrels through here tomorrow is dry as a bone with virtually 0 moisture to work with at all levels too. Winds will align but with nothing to aid in cloud and precip development, I think what the NWS is showing is a complete joke, but I may be wrong so we'll see!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I have to side with the SRG because the AF that barrels through here tomorrow is dry as a bone with virtually 0 moisture to work with at all levels too. Winds will align but with nothing to aid in cloud and precip development, I think what the NWS is showing is a complete joke, but I may be wrong so we'll see!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dry air when the cold air is here?? Never experienced that before... :rolleyes:

I am thinking the 40 mph winds tomorrow will also ruin good snow development...or blow it the whole way to north BGM and the Catskills again.

3 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

Same here. Warm air definitely making a dent now.

Irondequoit spent the entire day in the upper 30’s. I took the dogs for a walk and I was as cold as I’ve been all year. A chill, damp wind was blowing that I wasn’t expecting- not to mention it was about 12 degrees colder than advertised. I’m guessing it was the lakes doing? 
On the positive side, I’m thinking my ski trip, to the Tug/ADKs, in 12 days is no longer in any real jeopardy. Maybe even get some fresh. Nobody knows. Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

50 degrees and sunny here today, did a 3 mile run felt amazing. I'm all aboard the spring train unless its a big LES event or synoptic storm. 12"+

Same, I got to do a nice long jog for the first time in a long time. Now to get the annoying remaining ice/slush off the park paths here in the northtowns... it will probably be another week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericjcrash said:

Biggest hit the pack took was overnight with the dreaded snow eating fog. Front is approaching so hopefully we can get a few squalls and a 60mph gust or two.

Yep. That dewpoint hitting 40 last night really hit the pack. It held on for a week and then overnight, of course, ate it. Still mostly covered here...but grass can be seen in the normal places that melt first.

Welcome to meteorological spring. Snow pack definitely took a hit overnight as temperatures rose to low 40s and the dew point wasn’t far behind. Looks like this is the beginning of the end of winter. Let’s just hope we have warm dry weather to dry out my backyard. My dog is starting to bring in mud again after going out this morning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Last night pretty much did it. All our snow is gone (tear). 

Still holding a nice 4 inch pack in my neighborhood, but the cracks are showing.....  I still think we can get most of this all the way through next weekend.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Still holding a nice 4 inch pack in my neighborhood, but the cracks are showing.....  I still think we can get most of this all the way through next weekend.  

YeH, we have about 5” in the field at my folks in Pittsford. Neighborhoods in Irondequoit are showing a ton of brown grass. Huge snow mounds remain. 
Some of the meso models show a couple/ few inches over next 48 hours. Wouldn’t surprise me. Limiting factors are the wind and dry. It’s always disappointing to get a long duration north wind event only to have it crushed by dryness. EVERY DAMN TIME. Lol. 
Should be pretty windy today for you! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

YeH, we have about 5” in the field at my folks in Pittsford. Neighborhoods in Irondequoit are showing a ton of brown grass. Huge snow mounds remain. 
Some of the meso models show a couple/ few inches over next 48 hours. Wouldn’t surprise me. Limiting factors are the wind and dry. It’s always disappointing to get a long duration north wind event only to have it crushed by dryness. EVERY DAMN TIME. Lol. 
Should be pretty windy today for you! 

Yeah I was just thinking about how we've barely had a single high wind event this winter.  This is usually a good thing for us snow lovers as our big wind events always come from cutters.  If its a windy winter, its usually a crappy one snow wise. 

This is an unusual wind setup for us though so not sure what to expect (although my gut says don't expect much unless you're right on the lake shore)

Snow Squall Warning

SNOW SQUALL WARNING
NWS BUFFALO NY
141 PM EST MON MAR 1 2021

NYC029-029-037-037-051-051-055-055-063-063-073-073-011930-
/O.NEW.KBUF.SQ.W.0001.210301T1841Z-210301T1930Z/
141 PM EST MON MAR 1 2021
Erie County-Genesee County-Livingston County-Monroe County-Niagara
County-Orleans County-

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a

* Snow Squall Warning for...
Northeastern Erie County in western New York...
North central Livingston County in western New York...
Southeastern Niagara County in western New York...
Southern Orleans County in western New York...
Genesee County in western New York...
Monroe County in western New York...

* Until 230 PM EST.

* At 141 PM EST, a developing snow squall was located along a line
extending from near Brockport to near Medina to near North
Tonawanda, moving east southeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Poor visibility in heavy snow and blowing snow. Wind
gusts greater than 35 mph.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Dangerous life-threatening travel.

* This includes the following highways...
Interstate 390 between exits 11 and 12.
Interstate 90 between exits 54 and 46.

Locations impacted include...
Buffalo, Rochester, Greece, Cheektowaga, Irondequoit, West Seneca,
North Tonawanda, Clarence, Chili and Lockport.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Reduce your speed and turn on headlights! During snow squalls, the
visibility may suddenly drop to near zero in whiteout conditions.