• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

KBGM at 97.1" as of today's daily Climo report.  Another impressive season for them.  Which doesn't surprise as they went thru stretches of generally underperforming winters in the recent past, IIRC.  I'm a subscriber to the mean reversion concept in many topics...

We'll probably pass 100 but unless we get another legit warning level storm or string together some minor events, looking pretty doubtful we crack top 10 snowiest winter list which starts at 108.6.

25 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Great point!

Not to beat a dead horse but we went 6 weeks straight this winter without a mostly sunny day.  A clear visible satellite is absolutely the exception not the norm this time of year.   I also think that ice page does a pretty decent job, give them a chance to update the data before acting like they are idiots.  Those people know a hell of a lot more about ice cover than any of us.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

I'm a little surprised the snowpack is barely melting here with a temp in the mid 40s... it must be super dense and packed now with all the ice layers. The low dewpoint in the 20s and overcast skies are probably helping to reduce melt as well.

I've been saying this snowpack was legit for weeks (not sure about up near you Matt, as your luck has been horrible).  Down here, we racked up  just under 50 inches of snow without a thaw, all of that snow compacted down to about 15 inches just before the current thaw hit.  That is a seriously dense snowpack that isnt disappearing in a few warm days.  It'll be around a couple weeks in my opinion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but we went 6 weeks straight this winter without a mostly sunny day.  A clear visible satellite is absolutely the exception not the norm this time of year.   I also think that ice page does a pretty decent job, give them a chance to update the data before acting like they are idiots.  Those people know a hell of a lot more about ice cover than any of us.  

I wasn’t specifically attacking them, I’ve just noticed the actual ice coverage doesn’t always correspond to the modeled coverage. I’m a huge fan of NWS. If that’s who does that page

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I've been saying this snowpack was legit for weeks (not sure about up near you Matt, as your luck has been horrible).  Down here, we racked up  just under 50 inches of snow without a thaw, all of that snow compacted down to about 15 inches just before the current thaw hit.  That is a seriously dense snowpack that isnt disappearing in a few warm days.  It'll be around a couple weeks in my opinion.  

We lost nearly half in last 3 days in Irondequoit. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I've dropped from 16 to 10 since the weekend but I think its just continuing to condense and not necessarily melt.  It's all still there, just even denser.  I should try to take a core sample and see what we have for SWE

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yeah, as you mentioned in another post, it's really compacted and very dense. Well over a foot left still. The more we get these little melts and freezes, the more it glaciates the snowpack.

This upcoming weekend's 40s and rain has me wondering a bit though....the snow lover I am, I would love to keep it a few more weeks.

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Well, you had lots of lake effect fluff, which disappears so much faster than synoptic (usually).

• Like 1

Dansville blew past all of us and hit 60 degrees today! THEY are the tropics of Upstate NY. Consistently seems to ring in with the maximum high. Sometimes Elmira challenges them...and once in a while the Cuse.

Not sure if their thermometer/airport is in a warm microclimate location, or if they truly are primed for maximum downsloping and other warming factors.

• Haha 1