• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, Geez150 said:

Big snow on top of warm muddy ground and water doesn't excite me much anymore. If anything, hoping the north country keeps cold enough and gets good snow to keep things rolling up there for possibly one last run up in March for a few bonus miles on the sleds. Other than that if we can't keep the cold with the snow I'm about all set here in WNY. I would like snow on the ground for maple weekend, then after that may as well bring on a hopefully dry transition to spring so I don't have to wipe too many muddy dog paws lol

I forget which years but I've seen some slow and gradual melt offs of pretty deep snowcover, as we have now, in late March, where we didn't end up with hideous flooding all at once. Hopefully we get that this Spring.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I forget which years but I've seen some slow and gradual melt offs of pretty deep snowcover, as we have now, in late March, where we didn't end up with hideous flooding all at once. Hopefully we get that this Spring.

Yes, please! These types of melt-offs are enough to please both Spring-lovers and winter-lovers. Spring-lovers see the snow disappearing, while winter lovers can still enjoy and look at a winter scene (mind you it can look sort of meh...)

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like a roller coaster patter on EPS and GEFS leaning towards slightly above normal temps.

Those types of patterns can be GREAT for producing some nice storms.

57 minutes ago, Revracer800 said:

My driveway is one big glacier this morning haha. Should be a fun walk bringing the trash cans out. Slip and slide lol.  

It has been super icy around here in the mornings. Lots of people falling in parking lots!

So thusfar this season and month, by my accounting, I have had 29.4" snow in Feb and we are up to 72.2" for the season.  So looks like we have scratched and clawed our way to about an avg Feb here for snowfall and below normal temps.  Not enough to erase a no show November, December and half of January but enough to get a D grade and avoid having to retake the winter.  (This means April and May snow is not required)  ;)

18 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

So thusfar this season and month, by my accounting, I have had 29.4" snow in Feb and we are up to 72.2" for the season.  So looks like we have scratched and clawed our way to about an avg Feb here for snowfall and below normal temps.  Not enough to erase a no show November, December and half of January but enough to get a D grade and avoid having to retake the winter.  (This means April and May snow is not required)  ;)

76.3 inches for the season, 27.0 in February. I’m still giving the winter a C+ (I grade on a curve). To me a D winter would be numerous torches and sporadic snow cover. I’ve had snow cover since December 29. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

76.3 inches for the season, 27.0 in February. I’m still giving the winter a C+ (I grade on a curve). To me a D winter would be numerous torches and sporadic snow cover. I’ve had snow cover since December 29. 

Yeah, your perspective probably a bit better than mine as you got that 13" surprise LES at end of December, which hung on through the next couple of weeks. Ours was half that and was gone in days, leaving a T-1" snowcover until 1/18, much like 3 of the 4 weeks in December.  Feb has to end strong and have a reasonable March for me to upgrade.  First step would be at least getting to last year's total (87", still well BN).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

F  2011-2012

A+ 2014-2015

You have to break 100" with a few good LES events to get into the Bs. As are reserved for 150"+ and big time LES events. 

That's my grading system. 

This year will be a B-/C depending on next few weeks. 

So you agree with my assessment that this was an average winter. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

That's exactly what I gave this winter as of last week as well.  Our zone has been MEH this winter.

It's D from me, I thought about adding a minus lol

For one I'm a snowfall guy not snow depth, we have had like half our annual snowfall..

We have a synoptic high of 4.5" inches this year and we have had many big storms hit the east coast..

Even though we have had snow depth since the end of December we went weeks with holding onto an inch or two lol It's not like we have had feet on the ground all winter..6 weeks of winter just doesn't cut it for me lol 

8 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It's D from me, I thought about adding a minus lol

For one I'm a snowfall guy not snow depth, we have had like half our annual snowfall..

We have a synoptic high of 4.5" inches this year and we have had many big storms hit the east coast..

Even though we have had snow depth since the end of December we went weeks with holding onto an inch or two lol It's not like we have had feet on the ground all winter..6 weeks of winter just doesn't cut it for me lol 

Half annual is definitely worth of D. But you did get some pretty decent LES events. Nothing exceptional though, I'd rare your winter a D as well. You're like me, you want heavy snow rates. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

We have gotten tons of big snow storms in March here in Rochester. 

Ya, there's something about Toronto and March. Early March is definitely winter and snowstorms happen. But March 15th is like a force field haha. Anytime after that they become very rare. 

Also March is Torontos least main snowy month. January, February, December, March, is the order. 

Looking at some quick data you can see why for me in the GTA March can easily be a non-snow month 

Toronto-7.5" of snow in March 

Hamilton-8" of snow in March 

Buffalo-12" of snow in March 

Rochester-16" of snow in March 

• Like 1