• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I added the editor and he accepted my request. I'm going to be sending him all the storm chasing video I get from around upstate new york! Hopefully we get some big time events next winter. Even in the tug I'll be chasing!

Well if that's the case I hope you have a caravan..;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

So, with almost 4" out of this "nothing" system and a solid 5-1/2 -6 hours of snowfall, it rivals what we got locally from "the big one" last Monday.  Which was disappointment event #2 last week, out of a shopping cart of 4 or 5  (locally).   

Hey, maybe @BuffaloWeather just got the timing off and we will now get our....wait for it......

BACK-TO-BACK "MAJOR" SNOWSTORMS!

• Haha 2

It's official, I'm giving this winter a solid B or even B+.  I've learned that I don't need months of cold and snow, just one 4-6 week period where it doesn't thaw once and we build a solid snowpack.  Sprinkle in a few decent synoptic events, a little lake effect, and I'm happy as a clam.  It's been hard coming to terms with the fact that its all ends starting today.  I felt about as happy as I have in a long time yesterday and I think a lot of had to do with all the winter fun I've been having the last few weeks.  If only we could have kept this going for another 2 weeks I would have given this winter an A.  So it's not about huge storms for me, or even a ton of snow, I just need consistent winter weather.  Never thought this year would have scratched the itch the way things started, but I'm sure glad we turned it around.  

I'll be interested to see how long it takes to melt the 15" pack I have right now.  After playing in snow all day yesterday I think it'll hang around for quite some time.  It's incredibly dense stuff, must be 3-4 SWE.  We shall see.  

• Like 6

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

It's official, I'm giving this winter a solid B or even B+.  I've learned that I don't need months of cold and snow, just one 4-6 week period where it doesn't thaw once and we build a solid snowpack.  Sprinkle in a few decent synoptic events, a little lake effect, and I'm happy as a clam.  It's been hard coming to terms with the fact that its all ends starting today.  I felt about as happy as I have in a long time yesterday and I think a lot of had to do with all the winter fun I've been having the last few weeks.  If only we could have kept this going for another 2 weeks I would have given this winter an A.  So it's not about huge storms for me, or even a ton of snow, I just need consistent winter weather.  Never thought this year would have scratched the itch the way things started, but I'm sure glad we turned it around.  

I'll be interested to see how long it takes to melt the 15" pack I have right now.  After playing in snow all day yesterday I think it'll hang around for quite some time.  It's incredibly dense stuff, must be 3-4 SWE.  We shall see.  

Totally agree. Got a few days skiing in Vermont last week, conditions were great and it was awesome seeing and having this pack for a good month or so and not having to worry about it melting every few days. Snowmobilers have been loving it too. 

7 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Good point about it being nice not having a thaw. I personally give it a D (up to now) because of the 2.5 month wait to actually get winter...that was painful. I also can't get past the many busts this particular area had from the synoptic storms, and to a degree, the lake effect. We had a couple really nice lake bands, but they were so short in duration, and the next day it would warm up and melt much of it. It's been a good hit of winter for many places in the country...just not really here in CNY. We're at about 50% of normal.

The past month of solid, deep snowpack keeps it from being in the F zone.

That said, I just got back from a beautiful walk snapping pictures of the newly snow-laden trees and snow depth. Perhaps I will share a few on here later. It was so nice and peaceful. Big fluffers coming down again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I was thinking B- here. 4 really good LES with 1 biggie at my location and 2 biggies just south. Last year was a D- so definite improvement. I reserve As for winters such as 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. 14-15 is in a class all on its own as an A++

18 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

A while back I gave my reasons for calling this winter average even if we’re below average on snowfall. So I’m rating it C+/B-.  If we were to get a major snowfall in March I might raise it to a B. 

• Like 1

Snowing hard enough here that even with temps slightly above freezing, it's recovering things.

I will say that one of my favorite things about late winter and early spring snows are that you can get some pretty impressive snowfall rates. Not that this is that impressive, but it reminded me of some of the awesome convective-type synoptic snow squalls/bursts I have seen in this time period.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like highest total was 32”. Boston did have a 46” depth though. 

A6B1A38F-DEED-4F61-AAC2-6B84D52309B5.jpeg

Looks like a trained spotter in Boston also reported 46”. Not sure if they dismissed it but I can tell you there’s no doubt in my mind that much fell. There were multiple reports of 30”+ at 7am and then it snowed heavily until late afternoon. I have a friend on Stanfield Road in Colden at 1500 feet who measured 48” new snow. He has a 50+ inch depth currently. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
1117 PM EST SAT FEB 20 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1049 PM     SNOW             BOSTON                  42.64N 78.74W
02/20/2021  M46.0 INCH       ERIE               NY   TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL THROUGH 7PM.

Really wish I got that house in Boston haha. I’ll settle for Derby though. Still upping my average snowfall by about 30” or so. Good thing too is I’m further from the lake. I’m actually only a mile as the crow flies from the Eden border. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Probably around 5" give or take(too tired to measure). No WWA and roads are worse than you'd expect.

6 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Funny how this was overlooked and ended up being the biggest hit this past week.

Yes, same here! The roads were not good here today, even after work at 4 in the afternoon. Main roads were ok at 4, but side streets and neighborhoods were very slushy and slippery.

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I added the editor and he accepted my request. I'm going to be sending him all the storm chasing video I get from around upstate new york! Hopefully we get some big time events next winter. Even in the tug I'll be chasing!

Cantore is pretty jacked, you better start upping the protein and weight if you’re going to be onscreen with him. :weight_lift: congrats. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Honestly, your pretty well positioned to become the next Reed Timmer. If you get a lot of great footage next year, maybe you can get a contract to chase. Or a BJ from Cantore. 

• Haha 4

I’m still not impressed. Maybe a C. February was a B but every synoptic storm busted. Having pack was/ is fun. Yesterday was incredibly beauty around here. A+ day. 
If we were to get a big one in March I could see giving this season a B. A is reserved for above average snowfall with lots of storms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m still not impressed. Maybe a C. February was a B but every synoptic storm busted. Having pack was/ is fun. Yesterday was incredibly beauty around here. A+ day. 
If we were to get a big one in March I could see giving this season a B. A is reserved for above average snowfall with lots of storms. 

Its actually kind of funny that late season snowstorms after march 15th actually start hurting winters grade for me personally. I hated seeing snow in early may last year. 

2 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Looks like a trained spotter in Boston also reported 46”. Not sure if they dismissed it but I can tell you there’s no doubt in my mind that much fell. There were multiple reports of 30”+ at 7am and then it snowed heavily until late afternoon. I have a friend on Stanfield Road in Colden at 1500 feet who measured 48” new snow. He has a 50+ inch depth currently. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
1117 PM EST SAT FEB 20 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1049 PM     SNOW             BOSTON                  42.64N 78.74W
02/20/2021  M46.0 INCH       ERIE               NY   TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL THROUGH 7PM.

Really wish I got that house in Boston haha. I’ll settle for Derby though. Still upping my average snowfall by about 30” or so. Good thing too is I’m further from the lake. I’m actually only a mile as the crow flies from the Eden border. 

That makes sense. What station # is that?