• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

8 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Think you may get 2 to 4 more delta. Obviously rgem had the best handle on this but had band about 10 miles to far north east. 

I wasn’t expecting anything this far west. Very interesting band placement, and I’m very appreciative of it, lol. And the NWS held their ground and never upgraded Niagara or Orleans all day!!  I know places there must have gotten over a foot. Rough year to be a pro forecaster..

• Sad 1

Picked up 1.2 of fluff from the squall earlier. Snow depth around 15 inches. Looks like we pause after Monday's 1-3. Not sure we will even get to 100 inches this year which is hard to believe considering we got just over 40 in one storm. That storm literally meant the difference of probably an A- and a D for a winter grade. 

Had some fun in the Lake Erie band today. Drove down Center Road from East Aurora to Sprague Brook between 1:30 and 2:30. For those not familiar with the area Center Road runs from central Erie County to near the southern boundary of the county. Snow was dumping most of the way, heaviest around Colden and Glenwood. Easy 3-4”/ hour, just huge flakes. Lightened up a bit at Sprague Brook during a 2-hour snowshoe, then cranked up big time as we were leaving around 4. Average 3 foot depths throughout the park. Pic below is from the hike. Just epic winter conditions. 

IMG_1465.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Back to moderate snow here. Cayuga Lake may be helping fire a small finger band for the backyard. Im a couple miles west of the BGM radar and on the NY26 highway demarcation line. See how this holds up...

WUNIDS_map (41).gif

Those ontario squalls have legs. Whats that like 150 200 miles.

• Like 1

Congrats to those in S. Erie Co.!!  Who knew in late Feb., Erie would tell Ontario to "hold it's water"!!  Just a fantastic event, and should provide some humble pie, to those of us that love our tools (models).  Nature, obviously, isn't giving us all the answers yet!

Small potatoes in comparison. Caz. received 3" today, and it's currently mod. snow.  About 83" for the season.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Congrats to those in S. Erie Co.!!  Who knew in late Feb., Erie would tell Ontario to "hold it's water"!!  Just a fantastic event, and should provide some humble pie, to those of us that love our tools (models).  Nature, obviously, isn't giving us all the answers yet!

Small potatoes in comparison. Caz. received 3" today, and it's currently mod. snow.  About 83" for the season.

I’m actually glad the models aren’t perfect 

• Haha 1

Lol KBUF issued a SWS at 6:12 for a squall to sweep down the Niagara Frontier, bringing a burst of heavy snow. I checked the radar around 7:15 and the squall was over North Tonawanda and sweeping south ... but by 7:30 the western flank of the squall had fallen apart. I saw a couple of flurries at 7:40 and that was it. Perfect recap to a week and a half of bust after bust for most of the Buffalo metro. But congrats to the usual suspects (Springville, Eden, Holland, East Aurora) — probably the most impressive band off Lake Erie all season. 

• Like 2

Boston was definitely the winner at 46", West Falls/Holland shortly behind somewhere around 40", Eden between 30-35", Hamburg had 2' in the village to a little over a foot here to 6" near Mckinley Mall. I think the same with OP. Southern Op had 2 feet and northern OP a few inches. Either way, one of the most impressive LES events in recent memory. What made it the most impressive was 80% ice coverage. This wouldn't be nearly as impressive in an early season event. There have been countless LES storms the last 10-20 years where Boston gets feet of snow. The Erie county snow belts average probably 1-2 events a year with 2-3'+ totals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s interesting that we’ve now had two super performers this otherwise weak season. Different set ups but they share some similarities. Both drastically under forecast. Both occurred in areas with some orographic properties. 
I love events that just blow away the models. How fun! 

Back to back major synoptic snowstorms though. ;)

• Haha 2