joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 SWS

...A BAND OF HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT NORTHWESTERN WYOMING
AND CENTRAL ERIE COUNTIES...

At 809 AM EST, A band of lake effect snow producing snow fall rates
of 1 to 2 inches was impacting the Southtowns and extended as far
east as western Wyoming county. Expect this band of heavy snow to
remain nearly stationary through 9 AM this morning.
...BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT NIAGARA...ORLEANS AND
NORTHEASTERN GENESEE COUNTIES...

At 839 AM EST, bands of lake effect snow producing snow fall rates
over 1 inch per hour and visibility less than one-quarter mile
stretched from western Niagara County across much of Orleans county
and into northern Genesee county.

Good stuff!  Was surprised a bit to see a single super intense band over Southern Erie last night.  Thought it would have been a more moderate fanned out snow band impacting a wider area.  Interested to see what happens when that band off Ontario drops down and interacts with the flow off Erie.  Should be an interesting battle. 

C0905A91-487F-4F81-9E0C-B5AB0B4A084C.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It definitely matters. Ice limits the natural process of LES. The less moisture is available when there is ice coverage. The reason why the best bands in history are over the tug is because of the 3 lake connection. It grabs moisture from 3 lakes and pounds it on the tug. The greater the amount of available moisture the greater the potential band strength. 

Yeah I get that but how much did ice cover limit this particular event?  Sounds like rates were 3-4”/hour. How much higher would you realistically get?  Maybe ice cover helped this in some ways with convergence or something?  Just spitballing here...Thinking we would have had 5-7”/hour rates with no ice cover seems unrealistic. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Yeah I get that but how much did ice cover limit this particular event?  Sounds like rates were 3-4”/hour. How much higher would you realistically get?  Maybe ice cover helped this in some ways with convergence or something?  Just spitballing here...Thinking we would have had 5-7”/hour rates with no ice cover seems unrealistic. 

You're right. I think this had potential for 5"+ rates if lower ice cover. As that sounding was posted, ideal conditions for maximum snowfall rates and beautiful dendrites that accumulate quickly. Nov 2014 had 5-8" rates at its peak. 

1 minute ago, It's Always Sunny said:

:o

Once in 100 year storm that was. Highest total for round 1 was 65" and round 2 49". All in 3 days.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2014-2015&event=B

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2014-2015&event=C

I have a picture saved from someone who put a sticker every 30 minutes for a few hours during heaviest stuff. The max was 8" per hour. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Once in 100 year storm that was. Highest total for round 1 was 65" and round 2 49". All in 3 days.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2014-2015&event=B

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2014-2015&event=C

I have a picture saved from someone who put a sticker every 30 minutes for a few hours during heaviest stuff. The max was 8" per hour. 

That's insane lol. I vaguely remember that event but it's hard to even comprehend those types of rates. I've been in some good blizzards growing up in MA which presumed to have 3" (maybe 4") rates at times and that was pouring dendrites. I can't imagine more than that. So cool.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Precip has shut off here, radar shows nada, and models show the banding over the Finger Lakes. Might be done here in the Syracuse region.

This winter is proof that with even a little open water, Buffalo IS and would be KING over Syracuse most years.

And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle...

13 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle...

Hey, you may doubt, but I think there is some merit to it. They rock with open water.

The 'Cuse relies on Synoptic systems to our East to provide the goods on the backside. If we continue the pattern of not many coastal systems, especially off New England....with the potential for Lake Erie to not freeze over in more years to come...I could see Buffalo potentially averaging more than Syracuse. I almost typed it could take some years for that, but the climate seems to be making some pretty quick shifts. Not sure if it's just a temporary blip or some more substantial yet.

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, you may doubt, but I think there is some merit to it. They rock with open water.

The 'Cuse relies on Synoptic systems to our East to provide the goods on the backside. If we continue the pattern of not many coastal systems, especially off New England....with the potential for Lake Erie to not freeze over in more years to come...I could see Buffalo potentially averaging more than Syracuse. I almost typed it could take some years for that, but the climate seems to be making some pretty quick shifts. Not sure if it's just a temporary blip or some more subs yet.

South of Buffalo. The airport got 1/2" lol 

• Like 1

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

The 'Cuse relies on Synoptic systems to our East to provide the goods on the backside. If we continue the pattern of not many coastal systems, especially off New England....with the potential for Lake Erie to not freeze over in more years to come...I could see Buffalo potentially averaging more than Syracuse. I almost typed it could take some years for that, but the climate seems to be making some pretty quick shifts. Not sure if it's just a temporary blip or some more subs yet.

If I’m being 100% honest I just wanted to use that saying lol. 

• Haha 2