• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

49 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That's because warm weather doesn't cause nearly the issues that cold weather and snow do, especially across the south. 8 million people were without power and 12 million people have to boil water, those are some insane stats. That is not counting the amount of deaths and injuries from car accidents. You cannot honestly compare 90 and sunny to 20 and blizzard conditions. Almost everyone has AC in their house and car now a days and pools in their backyards. 

The media, writ large, do hype and monger weather, or anything really, to get eyes and clicks or push narratives they favor.  Always been like that.  As far as deaths etc (much like some covid stats), we don't get the perspective...like how many people would normally be expected to die in car accidents in the same area and time period.  Maybe the numbers aren't far off normal as less people would be driving in that weather. We don't know...  

• Like 3

And just like the synoptic systems...the closer we get to the Lake effect event, the farther away it goes. I am so over this winter here. Good snowpack for a month, which has been great. But as far as snow falling and the amount of false promises....just a disappointment.

For the future, I will remember the rule for LES is it's either W, SW, or NW. The perfect WNW flow seems nearly impossible...and I will need to have more realistic expectations.

For synoptic, who knows. This winter seems to show everything that could go wrong. Seems we've been combatting dry air and/or warm tongues with all. Hopefully that is the worst we can do. But I said the same thing last year. LOL

Maybe March will produce...with all the activity we've seen, it wouldn't surprise me...but we need some cooperation between pieces of the puzzle.

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Pennsylvania (including lower elevations) gets several inches. The main piece goes south.

Well you know how that southerly flow is for ksyr lol Seems to warm up faster than places to the south..

Secondary trying to pop but primary low is still till our NW..

gfs_mslp_wind_neus_14 (1).png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That's because warm weather doesn't cause nearly the issues that cold weather and snow do, especially across the south. 8 million people were without power and 12 million people have to boil water, those are some insane stats. That is not counting the amount of deaths and injuries from car accidents. You cannot honestly compare 90 and sunny to 20 and blizzard conditions. Almost everyone has AC in their house and car now a days and pools in their backyards. 

The weather is not at fault for "plaguing" people. That's my main point. The real issue, as you pointed out without realizing it, is this false notion that people in the US can afford ac and pools for their comfort...just as there are many who can't afford heat. It's easy to forget in the midst of our comfort. Heat or cold...these weather issues bring to light the issues of poverty our nation faces. We temporarily address it during extreme periods of weather, but then it's back to the slums. I am not really sure of the best solution, as there are so many factors at play.

In addition, The media has a definite bias in hating winter and feeds into it...which puts anxiety into the minds of Americans about anything winter. Panic...run to the stores..etc...just like the great toilet paper exodus of 2020.

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

The weather is not at fault for "plaguing" people. That's my main point. The real issue, as you pointed out without realizing it, is this false notion that people in the US can afford ac and pools for their comfort...just as there are many who can't afford heat. It's easy to forget in the midst of our comfort. Heat or cold...these weather issues bring to light the issues of poverty our nation faces. We temporarily address it during extreme periods of weather, but then it's back to the slums. I am not really sure of the best solution, as there are so many factors at play.

In addition, The media has a definite bias in hating winter and feeds into it...which puts anxiety into the minds of Americans about anything winter. Panic...run to the stores..etc...just like the great toilet paper exodus of 2020.

Yeah but either way its much easier to be homeless in summer then in winter. I'd love to be a beach bum some day in Hawaii vs trying to survive a northern US winter. 

• Haha 6

58 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

And just like the synoptic systems...the closer we get to the Lake effect event, the farther away it goes. I am so over this winter here. Good snowpack for a month, which has been great. But as far as snow falling and the amount of false promises....just a disappointment.

For the future, I will remember the rule for LES is it's either W, SW, or NW. The perfect WNW flow seems nearly impossible...and I will need to have more realistic expectations.

For synoptic, who knows. This winter seems to show everything that could go wrong. Seems we've been combatting dry air and/or warm tongues with all. Hopefully that is the worst we can do. But I said the same thing last year. LOL

Maybe March will produce...with all the activity we've seen, it wouldn't surprise me...but we need some cooperation between pieces of the puzzle.

It's actually hard to get more than 4 or 5" of LES at a time here.  It does happen but usually it's just window dressing.   But when synoptic fails it's more noticeable. 

This LES event looks to be mainly south and west of us. We'll pick up some scraps for maybe a couple of inches.  You have a slightly better chance being a bit west of me.  Our best shot is early in the event as models push the projected band south with time. Which is really odd and I don't understand why but i have seen this play out many times before.  

On to the next one...

• Like 3