Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Watch 2021

nj2va

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

I don't trust this place one bit.  A few years ago I planted some annuals a little early and we got down to 23 in the last week of April.  I am waiting until May.

Yep...exactly what I'm afraid of again. Just went out to run some errands, and while brisk and windy at times, nearly every tree I saw had NO PROBLEM continuing to pop those buds. I imagine the ramp-up for allergy sufferers is going to be a steep one in the next week or two.

Has anyone heard any peepers yet?

It's been so cold, i.e. no Feb warmups so we have the cone of silence.

No worries, before we know it we'll have peepers, grey tree frogs (I actually enjoy those after an evening soaking from passing thundershowers!), and of course our friends of brood X.  Which btw have an estimated density of 1.4 million bugs per square acre.  Yikes!

I went down to Hains Point in DC this morning, and only one cherry tree near parking area 19 was starting to show anything.  Maybe in another week.

There was quite a bit of flooding covering some of the sidewalks, even in some areas that hadn't been closed off.

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Peeper sounds >>>>>>>> cicada sounds

I agree with this EXCEPT on a rare occasion which was May of 2018.  We were in a crazy wet period and had puddles everywhere and one of those suckers was living near my bedroom window and would start peeping in the middle of the night.  Harder to find than a cricket as they get quiet when they get a hint of any threat.  More annoying than a smoke detector with a low battery!

The annual cicadas that have their slow song at the onset of dusk starting in mid August is relaxing.  Particularly if there is an approaching thunderstorm.  Sometimes if the storm approaches in the afternoon the darkening skies will get them going early.  If it really gets dark the katydids start their fanfare too!

By far the best thing was the total solar eclipse in 2017.  I was in a cabin in TN and experienced 100% totality.  The amount of temperature drop and crickets and katydids singing like dusk was descending upon the landscape was surreal.  And when it was coming to an end; the few first rays appeared creating the classic "diamond ring" in the sky, everything started lighting up as if a single metal halide street lamp in the sky started up and you could see it getting brighter again, albeit a strange eerie bluish glow.  As totality approached the drop off of insolation was fast and had a logarithmic feel.  Kind of like the days in the theater where the house lights are subtle and suddenly start dimming as your cue that the film was about to begin.  Words cannot describe the experience of being there, period.  It's FAR more than just getting dark and then light again.  You can actually feel something is happening.  I can only imagine centuries ago how the indigenous must have felt working outside and suddenly clear skies turned into night!  I'm sure they thought the world was coming to an end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Cut grass for the first time today so there’s that lol. The actual grass wasn’t so bad but the weeds are already growing out of control. I try to avoid putting down weed killers because of my pup 

So, Mrs. V and I went on a brewery crawl in Sterling, VA today to take advantage of the warm weather....despite our backyard grass being about 4" high right now. And now I'll regret not mowing it today, as forecast NOW calls for rain most of day tomorrow. Oh well, at least we got to try a number of new breweries in person, even though our grass and weeds are going into overdrive.  :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paleocene said:

I saw my first one of the season earlier this week at a park in silver spring. I was under the impression that they hibernate but I now realize I've never looked that up!

They do hibernate. I was taking logs off my firewood stack last week. I pulled a log off and a half asleep bat plopped on the ground. I left it alone and it was gone the next day. It warmed up enough that it probably took off.

• Like 2