• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Watch 2021

nj2va

Snowdrops now going back from whence they came; crocuses sighted everywhere; daffodils emerging and in sunny yards, out.

Trees are getting ready too: noticeable budding, particularly on maples.

Took the fam down to Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary on the Patuxent River today, in southern Anne Arundel. I highly recommend it if you live within 45 minutes or so, great kid-friendly easy hikes and views.  

It was an interesting case study in the urban heat island.  Here in Silver Spring we have way more budding trees, compared to down there, which is about 15 miles south. The whole area down there is probably cooled by the water; my yard is heated by concrete, glass, asphalt, and of course the sewer network :-D

image.thumb.png.db9e68681bf86e062bd0166ba59c102e.png

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Paleocene said:

Snowdrops now going back from whence they came; crocuses sighted everywhere; daffodils emerging and in sunny yards, out.

Trees are getting ready too: noticeable budding, particularly on maples.

Took the fam down to Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary on the Patuxent River today, in southern Anne Arundel. I highly recommend it if you live within 45 minutes or so, great kid-friendly easy hikes and views.  

It was an interesting case study in the urban heat island.  Here in Silver Spring we have way more budding trees, compared to down there, which is about 15 miles south. The whole area down there is probably cooled by the water; my yard is heated by concrete, glass, asphalt, and of course the sewer network :-D

OMG, like a sudden explosion of budding over the past several days...and the red-flag criteria winds yesterday brought down an accumulation of those little buds all over the patios, yards and roofs. I know this is a necessary step, but ugh...what a mess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

OMG, like a sudden explosion of budding over the past several days...and the red-flag criteria winds yesterday brought down an accumulation of those little buds all over the patios, yards and roofs. I know this is a necessary step, but ugh...what a mess.

Yep, sudden explosion is a good descriptor.  My lilac buds started to open slightly especially with the upper 70s last week for a day.  I'm sure the chillier weather the next few days will stunt it slightly but 6-10/8-14 day outlooks by NOAA all feature AN temps -- no slowing spring down!

Also notice my eyes itching/tearing the last few days.  Allergy szn.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, sudden explosion is a good descriptor.  My lilac buds started to open slightly especially with the upper 70s last week for a day.  I'm sure the chillier weather the next few days will stunt it slightly but 6-10/8-14 day outlooks by NOAA all feature AN temps -- no slowing spring down!

My whole family is a snotty wreck right now. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Ahhhh, man, lilacs. Always enjoyed having those in the backyard I grew up with. One of the finest smelling flowering trees. I'm guessing you can't take lilac bushes to Alexandria with you...  ;) 

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Ahhhh, man, lilacs. Always enjoyed having those in the backyard I grew up with. One of the finest smelling flowering trees. I'm guessing you can't take lilac bushes to Alexandria with you...  ;) 

Yup, so pretty and floral when they are flowering.  Haha, no didn’t put that in our contract!   But we’re doing rent back until 4/30 in our current home so I’ll get one final spring with them :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

This place sure died :sun:

Yeah, kinda. Funny how a day with low clouds in the low 40s will somewhat deflate us spring-watchers.  :)  I sincerely hope you get snow this weekend, and if anyone has a shot, you and your area do -- but I'm already anticipating a return to somewhat warmer temps next week. I have a crap-ton of yard and garden bed work to dig into. Literally!

Truth be told, I'd like to fast-forward a month or so....all of the budding trees and emerging flowers are ramping up my seasonal allergies, big-time.  :( 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, nj2va said:

GFS says growing season for DC/close in areas starts Saturday.

Bring it! I just hope we don't have a late-season freeze like we did last April (ish?)...at that point, a few backyard myrtles we had pruned in late 2019 which had just popped out a nice variety of symmetrical shoots from the main trunks...most of which were burned by that freeze, leaving behind a bunch of brown, shriveled feeders/shoots. I was so pissed.

15 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Bring it! I just hope we don't have a late-season freeze like we did last April (ish?)...at that point, a few background myrtles we had pruned in late 2019 which had just popped out a nice variety of symmetrical shoots from the main trunks...most of which were burned by that freeze, leaving behind a bunch of brown, shriveled feeders/shoots. I was so pissed.

Ugh, that's the worst.  I'm hoping we don't have a similar late cold snap like last year.  It actually snowed almost 2" in early May in Deep Creek last year.  Trees really don't fully open until mid to late May there which is so odd to see compared to here.

Quick glance at the GFS and it says all is good through early April :)

• Like 1