Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18-19 Storm Obs/Discussion

NorEastermass128

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Tons of pack.   Amazingly we lost little during the brief turd event earlier in the week.   Probably missed a bit but I went upstairs at 3:15 AM after shoveling the additional several inches that came after the first shoveling.   Thought I saw a weenie flake just now....radar looks like something is coming in for a brief stay.

1C880163-C580-4086-ABA3-792626239D74.gif

Self destructive sun. Cold air aloft. We flurry. 

• Like 1

Did a measurement again this morning before snow blowing.  Final amount was 7.5".  There may have been some compaction, but I'll ignore that.  The snow was not as fluffy as I thought, especially in the bottom third.  But the asphalt driveway may have accounted for some melting in the lower portion even though it is still slightly below freezing now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah gonna need some big wet bulbs to put a huge dent in this. Warm cutter or one of those 66/35 stretches for several days. 

Or borrow Ginxy’s dogs and let the doo absorb all of that radiation and melt holes right through the pack. It must look like Swiss cheese this time of year.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Drove to Templeton to get some take out breakfast. (8:30AM) Took a backroad home.  Wind was blowing the snow off the pines to the point where it was whiteout and I had to slow to a crawl.  Awesome stuff

Driveway cleanup was easy other than the ice buried under feathers. Sun is already doing it’s work

Sweet winter day with wind clouds snow blowing off trees 

15 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Kind of reminds me of a beautiful clear May morning with a cold pool and cloudy chilly and showery in the PM.

There’s something else going on down there. It’s been mostly sunny in CT and SE NH most of the day with a stripe of clouds from SW NH toward BOS. Maybe a bit more convergence in that region? Haven’t really looked at anything besides vis.

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There’s something else going on down there. It’s been mostly sunny in CT and SE NH most of the day with a stripe of clouds from SW NH toward BOS. Maybe a bit more convergence in that region? Haven’t really looked at anything besides vis.

Occasional flaskes in the air here

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Intermittent sun is great to melt the icy spots.  I salted the driveway and cleared away the ice patches an hour later.  Now I need rain to dissolve the salt.

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jerry,  just updated my snow total and you and I are about tied.  Your having a good season and me a meh season.  Lucky I got the 24" in 12 hours back in December or I would be way behind SNE folks

Hi Gene.  It’s been an odd season.  A nice big mid December dump that vaporized by the grinch more efficiently than I can remember in a long time.   A total dud January until the last week and a pretty good February.   Let’s see what March has in store.   Yeah you are meh but the Maine folks have endured misery.

• Like 1

Snowfall map and town-by-town totals from the 36hr snow event across CT. Forecast was for 4-7" for the state over a long period. Reports are from here, PNS, NWS 72hr map, and twitter.

Lots of variation in reporting due to long duration, melting compacting etc. Tried to weed out any old reports, reports that didnt take into account all parts, etc. (Side note: BDR seems very low to me. They reported 4" for the first WAA burst then only 0.4" for the entire time after that. I know they got some fzdz for a while but it seems everyone got an additional 1-3" last night with the final burst, so 0.4 seems really underdone based on radar and reports)

Positives:

• Long duration event with periods of accumulating snow verified
  • Timing of early Thursday into late Friday verified
  • Most of the state fell within the 4-7" range, 3 reports in the 7-8" range

Negatives:

• NW, NE, and parts of central northern CT fell below the range, in the 2-4 area

Grade: B+ 

Thank you for all the reports :)

02_18.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_final.thumb.jpg.9c5b7d26b2ed28f2538473973c28869c.jpg

02_16.21_jdj_snowfall_forecast_2.thumb.jpg.b53c981ea03a688fa078fbc7104e25fe.jpg

Town-by-town:

02_18.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_town_by_town.thumb.jpg.fe4b771249cdaa9f4673d90936d1ba7f.jpg

Progression:

02_18.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_pt_1.thumb.jpg.46a2ea5b1438464d473cea94a1f5dba7.jpg02_18.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_pt_2.thumb.jpg.c83a1abbf8ed1833b621edb660a98e78.jpg02_18.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_final.thumb.jpg.9c5b7d26b2ed28f2538473973c28869c.jpg

• Like 4

If any of you CT guys have seasonal snowfall to date including this past storm ill be updating the STD snowfall map. Ill look in the New England snow page too. @Hoth @Kitzbuhel Craver @WeatherX @CT Valley Snowman @WxWatcher007 @RUNNAWAYICEBERG @Spanks45 @BrianW @Brian5671 @H2Otown_WX @BuildingScienceWx @Sey-Mour Snow @Damage In Tolland @Ginx snewx @tavwtby @metagraphica @Sn0waddict @Cold Miser @Mr. Windcredible! @JC-CT @WinterWolf thats all i can think off the top of my head, and anyone else :)

13 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

If any of you CT guys have seasonal snowfall to date including this past storm ill be updating the STD snowfall map. Ill look in the New England snow page too. @Hoth @Kitzbuhel Craver @WeatherX @CT Valley Snowman @WxWatcher007 @RUNNAWAYICEBERG @Spanks45 @BrianW @Brian5671 @H2Otown_WX @BuildingScienceWx @Sey-Mour Snow @Damage In Tolland @Ginx snewx @tavwtby @metagraphica @Sn0waddict @Cold Miser @Mr. Windcredible! @JC-CT @WinterWolf thats all i can think off the top of my head, and anyone else :)

Did you look in the snowfall thread?

23 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

4.0 snowfall total for the storm

44.5" for the season

Snowed off and on all day again, nothing stuck except on shaded, snow covered areas