Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18-19 Storm Obs/Discussion

NorEastermass128

42 minutes ago, Thunderblizzard said:

Moderate snow, accumulating on cold surfaces but the driveway and roads are 100% wet. 29.0F

Yeah...noticing that here too...

We've had mainly 'light' snow bursting. 29 also and it's still not sticking to the roads and driveway.

I'm not sure what the physics/material science aspect is wrt solar at this time of year, but the sky is 'bright' relative to a snowing ceiling. We are on the equatorial side of the perennial solar minimum at this point.  Speculative, but I wonder if were night .. would these lighter fall rates stick to those types of surfaces.  If/when it snows heavy it doesn't matter... but when it's this light fluffy stuff and the sky is lighter it may become a nose tickler event only

20 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Looks like my area picked up another inch or so past hour. 

Amazing to see that efficient accumulation on roads in that photo of Morrissey by 93

Just a few miles away, good rates but we're very slow to accumulate on black asphalt. Accumulating great on unplowed and all other surfaces.

Widespread 3"+ with pockets to 6" in eastern SNE when all is said and done. Feels like winter, and not a terrible event relative to how much we've been shafted.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't get the asphalt obsession. Light snow on snow here. 2 inches total 

Some places around here salt the living shit out of the roads....you'll get wet roads on like 1/15 with temps of 25. But other towns are far less generous in their salt use and sometimes you'll drive into a snow packed road when you cross town lines if you are on non-state back roads.

I just use my driveway as a gauge for how well it is accumulating on non-treated pavement.

• Like 2