Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 18-19 Storm Obs/Discussion

NorEastermass128

8 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Great post. Some thoughts to add, correct me if I have anything wrong.

The fast flow at 250mb could serve as a vent to enhance rather than shear cyclogenesis... Ginx yesterday made an interesting comparison to 2/11/1994 where the jet enhanced rather than sheared mechanics.

In contrast, the fast flow and compression at H5/H7 is shearing the WAA component seaward.

Other things to look for when thinking about shearing vs. venting in this specific scenario? Too fast? Orientation more west to east rather than northeast?

Places in PA to NJ have a foot just like 94, we were just  45 to 90 miles too far north under the jet. Venting took place there.

• Like 3

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Outside of CT this winter has been an exercise in frustration. 

Been a pretty decent winter here....I hated the period between Grinch and MLK but can't complain before or after that period.

Hoping to grab 3-5" tonight/tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Been a pretty decent winter here....I hated the period between Grinch and MLK but can't complain before or after that period.

Hoping to grab 3-5" tonight/tomorrow.

The Greenfield - Brattleboro - Keene triangle has been just ok.  Missed the early season snows and then missed the goods S & E on a few more.  I mean I'm probably above average but underwhelmed.  

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Is that what you’re calling for the areas that missed round 1?

Depends where you are....I'd go 1-3" for northern areas (like NW MA into S VT/SW NH)....maybe 3-5" for E MA down to N RI....you might be a little more like 2-4 since there could be some enhancement out east that you miss, but hard to say. There's a chance tomorrow could be better.

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Outside of CT this winter has been an exercise in frustration. 

Yes there has been a certain level of frustration in the lower elevations this far north in CT and  up the valley towards your area  this winter, but I've gotten used to it.   About 38"  here on the season so not terrible per se,  and this storm will likely get me into the 40s, but yet we know there's usually areas all around us getting more due to the topography of the region.