• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS and nowcast Thursday morning 2/18 - 11PM Friday 2/19/21

wdrag

Still flurrying but I think we're done here.  Nice day and the snow intensity varied but never stopped.

2.6 inches from the bonus round separated from yesterday's 4.4" by a 1/8" layer of ice.  7.0" storm total, 13" on the ground.  I'll get SWE by tomorrow.  Feels like an over-producer.

32.5" for February.  41.4" for the season.

30F with flurries at 8:55pm.

Smithtown, NY

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Still flurrying but I think we're done here.  Nice day and the snow intensity varied but never stopped.

2.6 inches from the bonus round separated from yesterday's 4.4" by a 1/8" layer of ice.  7.0" storm total, 13" on the ground.  I'll get SWE by tomorrow.  Feels like an over-producer.

32.5" for February.  41.4" for the season.

30F with flurries at 8:55pm.

Smithtown, NY

Some of the Best snow today for nyc metro fell along the north shore of LI eastern Nassau out into Suffolk 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kaner587 said:

Some of the Best snow today for nyc metro fell along the north shore of LI eastern Nassau out into Suffolk 

Just went for a walk-gorgeous out. A few flurries coming down but we’re done-the moon is peeking out and clouds are thinning. We had over an inch of fluff with this last round just this evening, my car which was completely cleared this afternoon had that much on it now. I’ll go with the 6-7” others are reporting in this area. And there has to be close to a foot on the ground again total between the cement, the low ratio snow/sleet yesterday and this fluff that ended it. And that brings me up to 40” on the dot for the winter which is probably conservative. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Just went for a walk-gorgeous out. A few flurries coming down but we’re done-the moon is peeking out and clouds are thinning. We had over an inch of fluff with this last round just this evening, my car which was completely cleared this afternoon had that much on it now. I’ll go with the 6-7” others are reporting in this area. And there has to be close to a foot on the ground again total between the cement, the low ratio snow/sleet yesterday and this fluff that ended it. And that brings me up to 40” on the dot for the winter which is probably conservative. 

High water content too of the pack. In shaded areas pre storm I had 6-7in with a hard layer over an inch thick of ice. With the 7 in yesterday and today with 0.25 of ice in between -I agree about 10-12in especially in shaded areas and with especially high water content for that depth 

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

NYC has now received 25.6” snow this month, which ranks as the 8th snowiest February on record.

But I'll bet this is the snowiest February on record, which is to say that more days had snow in February 2021 than any other February in NYC history. I've never seen it snow almost every single day in a single month before. Doesn't matter if we get an inch or 6 inches - it has snowed so many times this month.

7 minutes ago, TriPol said:

But I'll bet this is the snowiest February on record, which is to say that more days had snow in February 2021 than any other February in NYC history. I've never seen it snow almost every single day in a single month before. Doesn't matter if we get an inch or 6 inches - it has snowed so many times this month.

2021 has had 12 days with a trace or more of snow. The February record is 16 days, which was set in 1923.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I've always found it interesting that Citizen Kane's final words were about his sled, Rosebud, that he played with in the snow as a boy....the greatest film of all time.

I think those are most cherished years. Sledding on driveway hill with wood fire going at top. Fun time for 12 year old. 

• Like 1

That tail end snow added nearly 2" of fluff bringing my event total to right about 6". It is quite photogenic, the different precip types each stuck to something so everything is covered and due to the fluffiness of the end stuff even the ugly streetside piles are soft and white (for a few minutes longer). 

I approve of this storm and would take more just like it :) 

• Like 1

This area of snow tracks back to an area that was near Oswego around 10PM last night. I  don't think it's strictly lake effect, but Lake Ontario was there at the beginning. Long Island Sound might have given it a little boost too.  Sound fetch is only about 15 miles but might be a little bit of convergence along the north shore as well.

Still snowing.  Looks like a few tenths of new snow this morning.  Seems to be about to end but it's snowing harder than it had been at the moment. Temp is 27.6

Smithtown, NY 9:25 AM

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-Mid_Atlantic-14-200-1-50-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Follow the remants of the eastern part of the band that was aligned along southern Lake Ontario around 02z

At the end of that loop you can see the trail of moisture extending all the way from Lake Huron, to Lake Ontario and then across the Sound.

A couple of snow flurries just just passed through here in N. Syosset. No accumulation that I can see.

• Thanks 1