Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS and nowcast Thursday morning 2/18 - 11PM Friday 2/19/21

wdrag

15 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Agreed, this is infinitely better than the sun popping right out and everything starting to melt

This has been a great event but my favorite was the one we had Superbowl Sunday where it snowed all day and ended just in time for an amazing sunset.  I like the snow to end just before sunset and then have a spectacular sunset to take pictures of the snow in.

• Like 1

What an absolutely sublime evening out there. Just did a walk in Central Park to look for the Snowy Owl as dusk set in. He didn't show (yet) but we were treated with magical snow globe snow that kept picking up in intensity. I had my big camera and got a few shots, but here are some from the phone.

50960818346_8db4931322_c.jpg

50960117738_95ba09d042_c.jpg50960117718_d53175999f_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Snow is essentially over for now and "only" got 1.0" (thought I might get more), which brings us to 5" for the "event" (I think yesterday and today are being counted together).  I wonder if the midday almost-late-Feb indirect sun is doing a bit of work on the falling snow, even at 30F.  I would expect this 1" to be gone by the end of the afternoon if we get no more snow.  

Well we had 1/4" about2 hours ago and then one last band just now.  Holy crap, I stayed outside for almost all of this last band, as it was just stunningly gorgeous - not to get maudlin about it, but at my age you never know when it'll be your last storm, lol.  Not the heaviest snow I've ever seen, visibility/intensity-wise, but some of the most beautiful, feathery, cotton-candiest dendrites I've ever seen, with most 1/2-3/4" across and some even up to 1" across and they nestled so pefectly together on top of the snow and whitened up every surface including all the trees (and paved surfaces, so be careful, although it only took 5 minutes to broom it away).  

We got another 1/2" over about 30 minutes, bringing my total today to 1.75" and my storm total to 5.75".  A perfect ending to a great storm - and yes, this is the last of it for CNJ and should be over down the shore in the next 30-45 minutes and it might be even more snow down there, i.e., I could see some picking up 3/4" from this band.  Seasonal total now up to 41.75".  

7 hours ago, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ 3.5" act 1130A. Snowing lightly.  

Today is an excellent example of why snow boards, decks are used for snow measuring.  The black pavement, grill covers are melting snow while snowboards, decks still accumulate snow at the current 1mi snow rate... T 27.5.  Thats why light snow events are so nice for us, but easily manageable (wet) for the roads, during the higher sun angle part of the day. 

This is also one of those rare events (at least around here) where the "best" surface to measure on is the previous snow, since it was hard packed and a ruler wouldn't go through it, plus, since it's frozen, it's at 32F, max, by definition (it can be colder, but not warmer), so snow will accumulate on it immediately (as long as the snowfall rate exceeds the melting rate from the ambient conditions).  The snow works especially well on a day like today, where the wind is light, so it doesn't really matter much where one measures.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Well we had 1/4" about2 hours ago and then one last band just now.  Holy crap, I stayed outside for almost all of this last band, as it was just stunningly gorgeous - not to get maudlin about it, but at my age you never know when it'll be your last storm, lol.  Not the heaviest snow I've ever seen, visibility/intensity-wise, but some of the most beautiful, feathery, cotton-candiest dendrites I've ever seen, with most 1/2-3/4" across and some even up to 1" across and they nestled so pefectly together on top of the snow and whitened up every surface including all the trees (and paved surfaces, so be careful, although it only took 5 minutes to broom it away).  

We got another 1/2" over about 30 minutes, bringing my total today to 1.75" and my storm total to 5.75".  A perfect ending to a great storm - and yes, this is the last of it for CNJ and should be over down the shore in the next 30-45 minutes and it might be even more snow down there, i.e., I could see some picking up 3/4" from this band.  Seasonal total now up to 41.75".  

I've always found it interesting that Citizen Kane's final words were about his sled, Rosebud, that he played with in the snow as a boy....the greatest film of all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1