Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS and nowcast Thursday morning 2/18 - 11PM Friday 2/19/21

wdrag

42 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

That was a quick 3/4" in about 40-45 minutes (about 1" per hour rates), although it's now just snowing lightly; however the radar shows another band coming in which isn't as big or as heavy looking as this past one, but should be enough to get us to an inch.  

Could be treacherous on top of the ice, since people won't see the ice now when walking or driving and this fluff won't stop you from sliding - I know, I almost just fell.  

Snow is essentially over for now and "only" got 1.0" (thought I might get more), which brings us to 5" for the "event" (I think yesterday and today are being counted together).  I wonder if the midday almost-late-Feb indirect sun is doing a bit of work on the falling snow, even at 30F.  I would expect this 1" to be gone by the end of the afternoon if we get no more snow.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RU848789 said:

Snow is essentially over for now and "only" got 1.0" (thought I might get more), which brings us to 5" for the "event" (I think yesterday and today are being counted together).  I wonder if the midday almost-late-Feb indirect sun is doing a bit of work on the falling snow, even at 30F.  I would expect this 1" to be gone by the end of the afternoon if we get no more snow.  

What about those radar echoes in eastern PA, moving into Hunterdon county NJ? Do you think that will swing through in the next few hours? To me it looks as if it might. We got 1 inch here too. Hoping for a little more.

Wantage NJ 3.5" act 1130A. Snowing lightly.  

Today is an excellent example of why snow boards, decks are used for snow measuring.  The black pavement, grill covers are melting snow while snowboards, decks still accumulate snow at the current 1mi snow rate... T 27.5.  Thats why light snow events are so nice for us, but easily manageable (wet) for the roads, during the higher sun angle part of the day. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Today is an excellent example of why snow boards, decks are used for snow measuring.  The black pavement, grill covers are melting snow while snowboards, decks still accumulate snow at the current 1mi snow rate... T 27.5.  Thats why light snow events are so nice for us, but easily manageable (wet) for the roads, during the higher sun angle part of the day. 

I’d argue it’s a great example for snow boards but decks it depends. My deck has a stain on it making it darker and the snow has just been pretty much just melting on it since about 9am despite the occasional decent snowfall rates. I have a newer section of deck built last year thats not stained yet and even that has been melting but not as quick as the stained section. 

The sun is bright through the clouds now but it's still snowing nicely, temp is popping above 32 right now so cleared surfaces are melting off. 27 hours of non stop precip with every type of frozen other than convective types with 13 hours straight of frozen crystals of some sort and a 30 minute sleet layer has made this one of the densest and most interesting textures in a long time. While I will only end up with 4.5" total it has been a very entertaining storm. 

34/29/NE2/SN-

14 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah ever since then it basically shut off.  Getting icy now though.

This stretch we've been in has really given us the most "deep winter" feel in quite awhile.  This is going to be one of those Springs that really feels as though we are thawing out after the winter freeze.

5.4 storm total . 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’d argue it’s a great example for snow boards but decks it depends. My deck has a stain on it making it darker and the snow has just been pretty much just melting on it since about 9am despite the occasional decent snowfall rates. I have a newer section of deck built last year thats not stained yet and even that has been melting but not as quick as the stained section. 

Wow:  I ca can see that.  My deck is doing alright at 29. Gotta live with it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

Select storm total snowfall:

Bridgeport: 4.0”

Islip: 4.2”

New York City-JFK: 4.5”

New York City-LGA: 3.8”

New York City-NYC: 4.0”

Newark: 4.9”

Uptown: 4.3”

I see no change in Feb rankings. Maybe CP can pull off 0.3" more between now and the evening of the 26th?  Go CP!  

• Like 1

This one is within a few minutes of being done here I think. That will make it a few minutes shy of 28 hours on non stop precip (unless it stopped for a few minutes when I was asleep but I don't think it did). My total hasn't budged since this morning after the heavy burst of big flakes so 4.5" it is but it's the densest and most interesting texture I've dealt with in a long time. I've totally enjoyed this storm and would take a few more just like it. Gonna go do a final scrape with the pusher shovel and see if the filtered sunlight can melt some of this stuff off a little. 

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

Yeah our driveway is literally spotless after shoveling it.  Once you expose the blacktop/pavement/concrete any snow disappears quickly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Select storm total snowfall:

Bridgeport: 4.0”

Islip: 4.2”

New York City-JFK: 4.5”

New York City-LGA: 3.8”

New York City-NYC: 4.0”

Newark: 4.9”

Upton: 4.3”

been snowing here nicely since 9:30 AM or so, up to 6.2" about 5 miles SE of JFK.  I had to shovel myself out of my driveway yesterday (with bare black top here before that) and my driveway was covered again today but this was about an inch or less today.

• Like 3