Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS and nowcast Thursday morning 2/18 - 11PM Friday 2/19/21

wdrag

18 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Same here , only .3 since 2pm lol 

Yeah ever since then it basically shut off.  Getting icy now though.

13 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Roughly the same here based on spotter reports.  Don't know if it's the old piles contributing to the look, the persistent glazing since about 2PM, or both, but after cleaning it up I can say that for 4" this thing definitely outpunched its weight class.

This stretch we've been in has really given us the most "deep winter" feel in quite awhile.  This is going to be one of those Springs that really feels as though we are thawing out after the winter freeze.

• Like 3

New City checking in 25 degrees ( feels colder ) as I just walked there dog and went up and down the driveway with a shovel,,,,,,no zr or freezing rain here, I am looking forward to anther 2-4 inches tomorrow , what a great February  this has been, this is what every winter should be like for 3 months straight but I will take an entire winter wrapped up in 1 month lol

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Very light snow here.  Had a little light freezing drizzle or a faint mist a couple of hours ago, but it's switched back to snow now.  

Took a little walk after clearing the driveway and the exposed part of the street is definitely glazed over.  It was safer to walk in snow at the margins.

The icing going on here has made a lot of the shoveled sidewalks pretty hard to walk on. It's better to walk on the snow and slush.

• Like 1

Measured about 4.25" of compacted snow around 4 pm today in Lindenhurst, actual total was probably like 5 " - 5.5" right after the rippage stopped. Too bad that death band only lasted an hour. Picked up around 0.25" of sleet and a few hundredths of an inch of ice since then, so it's pretty slick out there, almost wiped out when I was going to my car before lol

Wantage NJ (the part). Only 0.4" compacted dense small flake snow since 730P. Total 1.8" (we had no accumulation during the predawn burst north of us on the 18th). That prior accumulation is attached and will be part of the 3 day event summary on Saturday. CP had no change after their 1P report yesterday (per the midnight CLI). 3.2" for the intermittent event, so far.  

Screen_Shot_2021-02-19_at_4_21.18_AM.png

• Like 1

515A/19: Intermittent event continues and precip intensification gradually changes freezing rain/freezing drizzle sleet near I95 eastward to snow. Ending time still the same, this afternoon sometime ne PA/nw NJ/se NYS and the remainder sometime this evening-early tonight.  Between 7AM-ending time, I expect a general base 1/2" new throughout the forum after 7am with possibly as much as 3" , the heaviest seeming to be near NYC into CT per a decent band developing this morning-midday, and possibly a nice hour of closing snow this evening.  Easy melting process on pavement expected during the midday-afternoon hours where temps above 25F and when snow lessens it's intensity.  Manageable but fun for us. 

I expect scattered flurries Saturday and maybe a narrow band of accumulative snow showers leaking southeastward out of the Catskills-Poconos into the forum per the trough aloft passage with a somewhat moist unstable column.

Wantage 0.2" 4A-5A as intensity flake size has increased. 2.0 for now.  22.5F

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all. It's still snowing here! I obviously slept some but not a lot and not for very long at a time and unless I missed a short no snow falling period it's 21 hours non stop now. It has been light with very small flakes since about 5pm yesterday and has been the slowest accumulating snow I've seen in a very long time, it has only built up about 1.5" since that time bringing the total to ~4.5" for the event.

24/23/NE3/SN-

36 minutes ago, Wxnyc said:

To me it looks like the coast is going to rob the moisture, The blob seems to be moving directly east/ northeast leaving us ( city western L.I.  is stuck right between the lighter snows to our northwest. 

F4D05210-D4FF-4DE1-96C1-5D921885E873.jpeg

Some models like the RGEM showed it as a possibility that snow goes NW and N of the city for SNE and upstate while the coastal is too far offshore and that precip stays east. We’ll see what happens I guess. 

Think it premature to rule out NYC for an additional inch of snow.  Long ways to go for NYC/LI/CT. Satellite enhancement and radar upstream to to DCA favors I95 getting some renewed snowfall.  In the meantime, Wantage (our part) is only 2.4" with decent steady light snow and 0.6" since 4A. I see decent snowfall up here thru 11A. 

Updating my previous comment. The 06z EC gives NYC LI- and I95 in our forum 1-2" with close to moderate snow midday. Have little doubt this will happen, provided its snow and not sleet.  What is observed at CP is unknown to me but modeling says, more is coming. 11Z HRRR has a break early afternoon then resume late in the day and I like that. Enjoy the probable coming attractions.=, even as it melts on driveways-streets. It's still snow. We have to remember the ;primary trough-baroclinci zone-cold front aloft is still to our west and approaching, Moisture is deep to near 600 MB.  

• Thanks 1

22° with light/moderate snow, about 2 new inches since midnight already surpassing yesterdays totals here.

The February that keeps giving. Today is the 33rd day with snow cover here,and 23rd consecutive  day with snow cover and 19th straight day with snow cover of a foot or more.

The minimum I ask of a winter is 30 consecutive days of snow cover and 50 days or more during the season and it looks like this winter may deliver that.

• Like 1

Freezing light rain here, everything glazed and plenty hazardous out. it will take awhile to defrost the cars. Careful with the footing; the snow hides some of the black ice; found out the hard way yesterday. I do use those Merrells with the ice grip technology, and they do help some. Of course I wasn't wearing those...