Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS and nowcast Thursday morning 2/18 - 11PM Friday 2/19/21

wdrag

Just now, jm1220 said:

Yep, just about heavy here now. Like a snow globe. Even the warmer models never really cleared the warm mid level air through here so hopefully it can just be brief mixes with sleet. 

That's what I'm hoping.  The models support it.  Since there are differences in teh timing of the best lift / heaviest snow with what's actually happening, I'd assumthere will be some variation in mixing too, but overall the outcome might be similar.  Some IP is supported over the next couple of hours.  The sleet to the SW might only make a little more progress before backing off.  We'll see.

1 minute ago, justinj said:

What’s going on down in Brooklyn, Staten Island SW nassau? Sleet?

moderaB38BB232-D4B4-4D58-9130-A7F62E91B5E2.png.1e42f6e078e8c8446119d8f702706977.pngte snow here in holbrook

B38BB232-D4B4-4D58-9130-A7F62E91B5E2.png

Dual pol has the sleet dampening out for now as it tries to head east from NYC (I know I just jinxed it and it will surge east-you can thank me lol). Poster ARyan from Long Beach had snow sleet mix not long ago. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Dual pol has the sleet dampening out for now as it tries to head east from NYC (I know I just jinxed it and it will surge east-you can thank me lol). Poster ARyan from Long Beach had snow sleet mix not long ago. 

Yup, its mixing out and on cue, larger dendrites taking over again to your E

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Just drove back from Elizabeth to Metuchen with my son, after stopping for White Castle of course and it was snow until about Woodbridge, when I heard pinging on the windshield and I thought, no damn this can't be sleet already as the met on 1010 WINS said the sleet line was in Manasquan. Sounds like it was more like rimed snow (with supercooled liquid that crystallizes as ice on snowflakes, making them kind of large and hard) - didn't see the classic small discrete perfectly formed sleet pellets (usually somewhat cubic) that were clear ice and they definitely made noise like sleet - have only seen that a few times. From what I heard we had a fair amount of that rimed snow, but also sleet while I was gone.

Had 2.25" at 10 am and now have 3.5" at noon, which is only 1.25" in the last 2 hours - if that had been all snow, it would have been 2-3"+, looking at the radar intensity. Oh well, still a cool storm with more to go. Currently a mix of sleet and snow.

5 minutes ago, justinj said:

What’s going on down in Brooklyn, Staten Island SW nassau? Sleet?

moderate  snow here in holbrook with some sleet mixing in

B38BB232-D4B4-4D58-9130-A7F62E91B5E2.png

I am so tired of every storm mixing and changing to sleet much earlier than expected. We were going to be on the northern fringe...etc. it was snowing beautifully we could’ve ended up with 6 inches easy, then this disgusting sleet starts to fall , A warm tongue, warm mid level, I just hate all these dumb excuses, I want to go back to old days , I’m 47 always lived in Brooklyn , all I want to just  one snowstorm without some frikkin sleet , as I’m watching it changed back mostly to snow again, but once the warm arrives in the upper levels you know it’s pretty much over. I guess if I want to full snowstorm I’m gonna have to move to my second house in Woodburne in Sullivan county, (Catskills). There might be a point to the warmer ocean , changing the climate . Yes we get  more juicier storms , but we also got issues with staying plain snow, especially here in The southern half of Brooklyn.

• Like 2