Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18/19 Party - STORM MODE

stormtracker

43 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

I agree that there's opportunity there. In fairness though, IBM does have a model (which we laugh at) and they are a leading supercomputer manufacturer. I think part of the problem may be data acquisition for model input. NWS has a large network to gather data that would be really expensive to replicate. I'm not sure that data is all readily accessible. The old data adage "garbage in, garbage out" is very accurate. So even if IBM or Musk could build an epic supercomputer and program top-notch physics into it, the model would still be crap without good data. 

That’s why outcome analogs should be the method and not theoretical physics.

Very good data since 1960. 60 years.  Let’s say there are 3 Miller As per season, 180 sample size.

Break those 180 down to

1. The low passes within 30 miles of Atlanta.

2. The low is more than 30 miles north of Atlanta 

3. The low is more than 30 miles south of Atlanta 

then overlay that with

1.The high is 30.30 or higher 12 hours before onset

2.The high is lower than 30.30

You will get a decent sample set of 10-20 matching outcomes in each category.  No wailing about sample size, the outcomes are what they are

When you take #1 on the storm and #1 on the high and 20 instances arise and 15 times DC got 3” or more then there is your model replacement 

When you take #2 and #2 and 22 instances match and 16 times DC got rain then there is your new and improved, outcome based, non model forecasting.

The will is not there mostly  due to entrenched commitment to status quo and embedded money issues.

i promised you all I had a solution and not just bitching. Let the naysay begin.

Just now, Deck Pic said:

Soundings are so tight.  At 8 am tomorrow morning, I'd much rather be at Randy's house than say Old Town.  by 10 am, total capitulation.

If the NAM is right though we ride that line, keep the heavies going until the flip and then it's basically zip outta here quick anyway.  But yeah, like you said, really close on those soundings. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic