Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 18/19 Party - STORM MODE

stormtracker

1 minute ago, SnowDreamer said:

Been nervous about posting these for well... a long time. But here's my best guess:

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.26.42 PM.png

Nice clean format, and I really hope the 3-6" stretches down to include the 2-4" areas...those guys deserve it.  If I'm being picky I'd move the title over to the top left portion of MD/WV where no one lives or cares about (I kid I kid).  But for real. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, osfan24 said:

It comes in hard but it flips fast. It's basically the storm we've had 2 or 3 other times this year. Hopefully, we can keep the mix line south longer, but there is a definite trend on guidance to bring it north and bring it faster.

I hear you but I dont remember a storm being as potentially heavy in soon as it starts like this one yet this year though...assuming it doesnt end up drier than modeled

• Like 2

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

It comes in hard but it flips fast. It's basically the storm we've had 2 or 3 other times this year. Hopefully, we can keep the mix line south longer, but there is a definite trend on guidance to bring it north and bring it faster.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this - at least for MBY. I haven't ever hit (this year) those illusive 1-2 inch an hour rates (even for a short time). Even if the mix line comes in fast, this seems like it will be less "splotchy" and less spaced out than prior events. More precip in a shorter period of time than past events. 

• Like 4

Just now, Cobalt said:

That would be one of the radar looks of storms where we're unsure if the yellows/oranges are sleet or blinding snow, but where it would still be an absolute precip blitz. Shades of Feb 20 2015 in that.. 

I believe the Bob Chillian term is Snow missiles, white asteroids. 

• Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Hasn't the HRRR been less impressed with past storms right before they started? Having it be much more bullish now has to be a good thing

usually when someone refers to the HRRR-it sounds like "If you like snow, dont look at the HRRR"

• Haha 3

Probably too much HRRRRRRR talk but this is the worst sounding for the initial storm and it is after all the goods have moved through.  To my weenie eyes, its below freezing or right at zero all the way up for the duration.  The first sounding is niiice.

HRRR Good.png

HRRR Sounding.png

1 minute ago, Ji said:

usually when someone refers to the HRRR-it sounds like "If you like snow, dont look at the HRRR"

HRRR nailed the storm last Thursday in this area FWIW. Was the first thing advertising 4-6". I like having it on our side in the short-range, it's done really well this winter as far as I can recall.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

I believe it's because Short Pump is an odd city to have show up on a modeled map. Someone, no idea who, made a joke about Short Pump not getting something, and its gone from there. 

It also has a lot to do with the name. That's how it originally started. 

16 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

it's not even a city really - it's just an unincorporated part of western Henrico County near Richmond.  It's like Seven Corners (Ffx County) or something showing up on a map.

It’s basically a nice outdoor mall, with new apartment communities built around  it. Also, a lot of diversity there, by Richmond standards. Think Columbia Maryland 

• Like 1

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

HRRR nailed the storm last Thursday in this area FWIW. Was the first thing advertising 4-6". I like having it on our side in the short-range, it's done really well this winter as far as I can recall.

It tends to overdo cold past something like 36hrs, but within then it seems pretty grounded. Even the snow depth panel is ~3-5" for DC and points SW, which is pretty bullish for those types of panels. In the Dec 16-17 event, it initially went out of the gate being way too cold during WAA snow timeframe, but within 30hrs it continued to advertise that the initial thump would impact DC and immediate NW areas, while the NAM was still eroding the mid level cold much faster. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic