Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 18/19 Party - STORM MODE

stormtracker

Just now, osfan24 said:

GFS is warm. Appears to have caved to the warmer solutions. HRRR out there on an island it appears.

It's about the same as 6z.  Nice 6hr snow thump for cities before mixing drops 3-5".  Then a little snow on the backend Friday.  I'd take it.  Far N/W folks probably won't like it because it's drier there as they're between bands.  

• Thanks 3

I'm really blown away by the lingering discrepancies with precip later in the day Thursday into the overnight.    The NAM (and NAM nest) continue to have only light precip over much of the area with perhaps a bit more for eastern sections (where some significant ice may fall over southern MD and parts of the Eastern Shore)

areaqpf_012h.us_ma.thumb.png.2a57f47c700b75bc804104c6f1e2c65a.png

The GFS, however is so much wetter and has some big ice accumulations for a lot of folks:

qpf_012h-1.us_ma.thumb.png.6b55adacda22ca69ac2aa299612ef93b.png

The GFS para looks much like the ops does.    The CAMs overall favor drier solutions, although the NMMB is a bit wetter.     I'm struggling to sort this out....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, high risk said:

The GFS para looks much like the ops does.    The CAMs overall favor drier solutions, although the NMMB is a bit wetter.    

And the Never Much Moisture model (NMMB) is typically the driest of them all.  It is interesting the difference between CAMs and globals though, in terms of QPF on wave 2

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Expecting models to nail a warm layer to a single degree or even two seems to be a stretch of capability. Just an opinion.

Just coming to post this.  Here is the sounding at 27.  If its off a half a degree either way could mean an extra inch or two and nothing but sleet.

gfs_2021021712_027_39.0--77.25.png

Just now, MN Transplant said:

The GFS is almost 1.5” QPF at DCA, all frozen.  That is an amazing model run, even if it is only some front end snow.

In range if I'm not mistaken, GFS tends to dry up a bit, so this is nice to see. It's been a while since we've had any sort of system like that stay frozen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

The GFS is almost 1.5” QPF at DCA, all frozen.  That is an amazing model run, even if it is only some front end snow.

Yeah it's not much snow but is a very impactful storm. Lots of ice on top of the snow and makes it a 24 hour plus storm.

Para looks great and seems to have been pretty steady.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s mid levels yes but there is usually a mid level warm layer when we have a storm.  I’m going to simplify this but I feel it’s an accurate summary. There almost has to be a warm layer because it’s WAA as the wave approaches that is the primary impetus for precip. The warm air is lifted over the denser cold and that lift creates the precip. But warm is relative to normally very cold air at those levels. Rising air cools and condenses so it’s cooling as it rises. So long as that mid level “warm” layer stays just below freezing it’s ok.  But what happens if EVERYTHING is say 2 degrees warmer then it used to be?  Then a “warm” layer that was -1 is now +1 and the mix line just jumped 50 miles north!  

great explanation!  Thanks

7 minutes ago, high risk said:

I'm really blown away by the lingering discrepancies with precip later in the day Thursday into the overnight.    The NAM (and NAM nest) continue to have only light precip over much of the area with perhaps a bit more for eastern sections (where some significant ice may fall over southern MD and parts of the Eastern Shore)

areaqpf_012h.us_ma.thumb.png.2a57f47c700b75bc804104c6f1e2c65a.png

The GFS, however is so much wetter and has some big ice accumulations for a lot of folks:

qpf_012h-1.us_ma.thumb.png.6b55adacda22ca69ac2aa299612ef93b.png

The GFS para looks much like the ops does.    The CAMs overall favor drier solutions, although the NMMB is a bit wetter.     I'm struggling to sort this out....

Sounds a lot like how the recent storms have come in. This was after the snow from the 7th, its been much of the same.

146267182_4073034229395667_5203058278135995360_n.jpg

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic