Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

Not happening.  If we had a good H5 vortex passage it would work, but we don't, so the only decent vertical motion will be with convection offshore.

This is the type of stuff I wish I understood about weather, but don't.

0z NAM showed the possibility of a sliver of precip making it up here by morning, but I'm not counting on it. 

3 hours ago, schinz said:

I am on the SE side of Westminster bear Deer Park and Rt. 32...I am about 850 feet....what is your elevation and can you show some type of a map representation of where that height of the ridge is?  Thanks

Sure.
goDUvp1.jpg

So everything inside the purple line is Parrs Ridge region and generally above 600 feet and does well compared to all around. But the 3 ridges in the zone I circled in blue are around 1000-1100 feet and is a maximum even within the larger maximum. Always gets a little more snow and holds the snow longer. There is often a pretty drastic difference between here and Westminster.  Note the little blue dot on the avg snowfall map right about that spot. 
szdDfpP.png

28F here just NW of Vienna - up a degree in the last hour.  Still a steady freezing drizzle.  Just came in from checking Lawyers Road in front of our house.  It's an ice skating rink with interlaced wet spots.  Even with all the salt they dumped today, walking on the treated asphalt is a delicate endeavor.  Difficult to differentiate the wet spots from the black ice.  Tomorrow morning is not going to be fun around here for those who can't WFH. 

54 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I'm getting some light freezing drizzle in Germantown. Not much on radar though. I hope all of you have shoveled already - this stuff has settled and is now basically packed ice that cannot be shoveled. The plows created these ice mountains in front of cars - I feel so bad for them tomorrow lol...

wTXahEe.jpg

NICE STORM! If that is sleet, you can expect it to compact and transform into a glacier. Then you'll be forced to walk like a penguin, or else slide around on it like a lemming as you try to descend hills. I remember 1994 all too well. Those ice mountains in front of the cars, will have to be picked thru with a pick the hard way by tomorrow morning. You could also use a Jebman Shovel........

5 hours ago, diatae said:

My 38lb dog just scampered across the sleet covered grass without leaving a single paw print. We're officially encased. 27/27 La Plata

Took my dogs out to pee before bed. They slipped everywhere. It was kind of cute but also scary because of the porch steps. 

There icing is worse than the ice storm the other day. This warrants a WSW far more than the sleet from this morning. It's outright treacherous. 

28 in Chevy Chase, and it feels very cold with the mist. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

1176430921_Screenshot2021-02-18195004.thumb.jpg.ecac086987fac31682d7a2f08c6692c0.jpg

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

At this point is probably not a warm layer, it’s just shallow stratus. Clouds aren’t deep enough to have ice nuclei available for snow crystals. So you get weak precipitation as fzdz. 

Seems like a total roast job right around 850 reported around 7PM. But what you said would still stand right? Could formation be shallow enough to 'bypass' that layer? Sounds kind of outlandish since it would be like, fog drizzle, but I'm not really familiar and might be reading this all wrong. 

Out with the dog at 6:10 to freezing mist, same as last night. 29f . Glaze all over, but no icicles or significant accretion. Road condition is pretty poor due to lack of maintenance (AACo ). About 1.5" of slush filled with tire tracks that froze solid, then a glaze of frz dzl added on top. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic