• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

30 degrees and all quiet in SE DC...icy snizzle still falling. Stuff's so hard cars don't leave tracks, people don't leave footprints. Plows came through 5 minutes after I took these pics. The scratching and crunching soothed my nerves, knowing they were out there somewhere caring for citizens.

We had one radical put out the trash. Everyone else said ++++ it.

nite A (2).jpg

nite 3.jpg

• Like 3

Things getting rough on the highways here.  Multi-vehicle accident caused by icy roads at the I-81 bridge including three tractor-trailers has closed the northbound lanes.  Multiple other accidents up and down the WV stretch of 81 also.  Then there are difficulties like these on secondary roads:

Hampshire Co 42 Fire, 1 / Multiple vehicles stuck / Cumberland Road at Harriotts Hill. 
Mineral Captain 37 on scene requesting FD to shut the roadway down advising multiple vehicles stuck. DOH is on location

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

In jan of 96 when i lived in CO a group of us road tripped to alta during a storm cycle. 40" in 48 hours when we got there. Snowed all day and we hung out in the parking lot until it got dark. Then they closed the canyon... accidental interlodge.

Stayed right in the base lodge. Next day the canyon and mountain were closed so we were stuck doing nothing with another 30" of snow on the ground. Ski patrol said they are doing control work and will try and open some of the mountain. Lifts started running at 11am but the canyon stayed closed until much later.

There were literally less than 300 people skiing alta with over 70" of snow in 72 hours... You needed a snorkle. Literally. Amazing. We dropped cliffs everywhere and even if you landed flat on your face you would barely feel it let alone hurt anything. Damn man... those were somes times. I wish I could turn back the clock. Especially after another disaster of a storm here. Lol

They call those country club days. Only folks on the slopes are those that were stuck there. 

Little Cottonwood Canyon is something else. When they get a big cycle, its dangerous af w those steep canyon walls. So many slides. Those two resorts and Alyeska in coastal Alaska are my fave spots.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Things getting rough on the highways here.  Multi-vehicle accident caused by icy roads at the I-81 bridge including three tractor-trailers has closed the northbound lanes.  Multiple other accidents up and down the WV stretch of 81 also.  Then there are difficulties like these on secondary roads:

Hampshire Co 42 Fire, 1 / Multiple vehicles stuck / Cumberland Road at Harriotts Hill. 
Mineral Captain 37 on scene requesting FD to shut the roadway down advising multiple vehicles stuck. DOH is on location

Part of DC Beltway also closed due to accidents 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Any chance you might know of a similar resource for VA? I love cruising around topo maps, and even though you're MD based, I figure there's still no one better here to ask about maps. 

Sure! This is from USGS, national viewer. 
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

The legend drop down gives you lots of options.

• Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Latest (01z) HRRR is much less aggressive than prior runs with getting meaningful precip into the DC metro. Nonetheless, I'd expect the freezing drizzle stuff to continue. 

Not happening.  If we had a good H5 vortex passage it would work, but we don't, so the only decent vertical motion will be with convection offshore.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic