Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

Dang! Have me beat by 3.5”! That extra 400 feet doe

The best part up here is how well we hold snow. This little high elevation area northeast of Westminster stays cold. I’m regularly 5 degrees colder than Westminster.  Often I like to drive around the area after a snow and it’s amazing how much more is on the ground a few days after here v Westminster or other parts of the county. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ovechkin said:

Too bad nothing strong or organized enough to overcome whatever warm layer is there and change things to snow. 

At this point is probably not a warm layer, it’s just shallow stratus. Clouds aren’t deep enough to have ice nuclei available for snow crystals. So you get weak precipitation as fzdz. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

I couldn’t tell if the ground where I shoveled was slick. I don’t want to fall and bust my ass like @mappy so I might send out one of the kids. They have softer bones. 

Yeah I had no clue it was misting, didn’t expect a slick driveway. Total sheet of black ice. So do be careful if you have to go out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevWarReenactor said:

Thanks! Good to talk to you. Maybe we've had the snow climo discussion before ;-) So I guess I am just not right about that. I am not sure why I thought it was similar. Maybe living in Mon County in 2010 and watching DC colored my perception.  

Yea 2010 was a VERY unusual year.  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The best part up here is how well we hold snow. This little high elevation area northeast of Westminster stays cold. I’m regularly 5 degrees colder than Westminster.  Often I like to drive around the area after a snow and it’s amazing how much more is on the ground a few days after here v Westminster or other parts of the county. 

I am on the SE side of Westminster bear Deer Park and Rt. 32...I am about 850 feet....what is your elevation and can you show some type of a map representation of where that height of the ridge is?  Thanks

1 minute ago, schinz said:

I am on the SE side of Westminster bear Deer Park and Rt. 32...I am about 850 feet....what is your elevation and can you show some type of a map representation of where that height of the ridge is?  Thanks

https://data.imap.maryland.gov/datasets/c77287b935a04b0b9b9e3beba9b5d9b4
really good topography map available through the state of MD. You can pan and zoom to where you wanna look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Areas where I shoveled but didn't lay down some sand are REALLY icy. Almost took a spill while testing out a few spots. Elevated surfaces like fencing and plants definitely have a glaze. Still freezing drizzle - radar supports this as well. Looks to continue for a prolonged period as well. 

7 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

Lol, the best part I like about being a gullible moron is that I’ll believe anyone smarter than me- which is about 99% of this board. It is possible you are both correct. 

In this case, both situations are possible. Shallow stratus and deeper clouds with a warm layer.

21 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Alta and Snowbird just wrapped up a 90"+ week and 60 straight hours of interlodge. You snow weenies need to head west.

In jan of 96 when i lived in CO a group of us road tripped to alta during a storm cycle. 40" in 48 hours when we got there. Snowed all day and we hung out in the parking lot until it got dark. Then they closed the canyon... accidental interlodge.

Stayed right in the base lodge. Next day the canyon and mountain were closed so we were stuck doing nothing with another 30" of snow on the ground. Ski patrol said they are doing control work and will try and open some of the mountain. Lifts started running at 11am but the canyon stayed closed until much later.

There were literally less than 300 people skiing alta with over 70" of snow in 72 hours... You needed a snorkle. Literally. Amazing. We dropped cliffs everywhere and even if you landed flat on your face you would barely feel it let alone hurt anything. Damn man... those were somes times. I wish I could turn back the clock. Especially after another disaster of a storm here. Lol

• Like 7
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic