Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Pretty weird shoveling this stuff. Perfect cold powder that wont stick to anything covered by a thin layer of sleet. I cant remember ever shoveling anything like it. 

It's like shoveling glass and small amounts of baby powder. It's surprisingly light and not terribly heavy

• Like 2

Just now, JakkelWx said:

It's like shoveling glass and small amounts of baby powder. It's surprisingly light and not terribly heavy

Same up here. Very fluffy stuff with pellets within. Was easy to shovel the deck for the dogs. Neighbor is doing our driveway

• Like 1

Shoveled two driveways today (parent's and neighbors). It's not terrible if you can get the edge of the shovel underneath everything and it all just lifts up. Heavy though...great exercise. 

Will be interesting to see what transpires tonight. Assuming it'll be light ZR - but HRRR and RAP aren't a guarantee in that regard. They have sleet/snow it looks like - from the crude precip maps at least. Granted...I didn't look at soundings. 

1 minute ago, ravensrule said:

For free or they charge?. If it’s free I’m moving to your neighborhood. 

Free. We share a driveway, older couple, nice folks. He's out there with a plow on the front of his John Deer clearing both driveways. He does it every storm. 

• Like 2

Just now, ravensrule said:

Wow that’s impressive. You have great neighbors. 

He's a good guy, contractor, has helped us out a lot. Wife is retired, watches their youngest grandchild. She runs the fence with our puppy when the weather is nice. 

We will have to shovel the walk and around our cars, but 90% of the driveway will be good to go. I usually make them sweet treats as thanks. We mow each others lawns when on vacation, help with other stuff, things like that. Good neighbors to have. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

He's a good guy, contractor, has helped us out a lot. Wife is retired, watches their youngest grandchild. She runs the fence with our puppy when the weather is nice. 

We will have to shovel the walk and around our cars, but 90% of the driveway will be good to go. I usually make them sweet treats as thanks. We mow each others lawns when on vacation, help with other stuff, things like that. Good neighbors to have. 

Neighbors like that usually don’t exist in city living. One of the advantages to living where you do, the snow being another HUGE one. 

• Like 1

Just now, ravensrule said:

Neighbors like that usually don’t exist in city living. One of the advantages to living where you do, the snow being another HUGE one. 

No doubt. I get a kick when my husband and the neighbor pull up along the fence on their tractors to shoot the shit. Cracks me up every time. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Alright can somebody clear up for me the whole Z system? What time (on the clock) is 0z? Or does it vary by model?

https://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/prod_overview/local_gmt_conversion.shtml

I still need to look at this chart.  My memory is not good, so it helps to look at the chart when I forget.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Alright can somebody clear up for me the whole Z system? What time (on the clock) is 0z? Or does it vary by model?

The folks who have answered already are correct. It took me a long time to get in the habit of knowing how to do the conversion in my head. And then of course you need to re-adjust for DST when it starts back up. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

the concept itself can be tricky, but just think of Z as universal time that doesn't have a spring forward/fall back, so right now greenwich is 5 hrs ahead of us.  it's 9pm there (aka sun rises there 5 hrs earlier).  when we spring forward, we're moving 1 hour closer to them.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

The folks who have answered already are correct. It took me a long time to get in the habit of knowing how to do the conversion in my head. And then of course you need to re-adjust for DST when it starts back up. 

I was in the Navy so we live by z time.  And the 24 hour clock.  It’s 1600 now lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic