• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

When I first moved to DC I quickly became obsessed with tracking models and potential snow, then some bad years made me swear it off for good. Now I've found this forum and am right back at it wide awake at 2am trying to talk myself into believing the GFS and also into not believing the GFS. Help.

(Also hi, nice to meet you all.)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Wonder what model dark sky uses for its forecast algorithm. It’s an “up to the minute” kind of weather app. Forecast changes every hour - perhaps the HRRR? Now has 7-11” for my brother in ellicott city and 5-9” for my area. Odd considering every forecast until tonight had my area getting more (in line with guidance) I expect climo to help me out here in this setup but I’m definitely curious what models that app relies on for its data. 

Multiple stations showing a drop of 4+ degrees in a very short period in West Virginia under heavy snow banding. Man, if we can get back down to 20-22 as the heavies are overhead, It’s going to be a really fun morning. A few hours of nice accumulation looking more likely. Shame the precip didn’t move in at midnight. 

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Wonder what model dark sky uses for its forecast algorithm. It’s an “up to the minute” kind of weather app. Forecast changes every hour - perhaps the HRRR? Now has 7-11” for my brother in ellicott city and 5-9” for my area. Odd considering every forecast until tonight had my area getting more (in line with guidance) I expect climo to help me out here in this setup but I’m definitely curious what models that app relies on for its data. 

https://darksky.net/attribution

For what it's worth, they are now showing 5"-9" for me too. Up from the last hour or so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SchvoniWx said:

https://darksky.net/attribution

For what it's worth, they are now showing 5"-9" for me too. Up from the last hour or so.

Thank you! Much appreciated. That’s actually a lot more data than I expected it to consider. Damn. That’s solid news for the immediate west and north Baltimore suburbs. Shows 8-12” for Baltimore. Gutsy 

• Like 1

Just now, jayyy said:

Thank you! Much appreciated. That’s actually a lot more data than I expected it to consider. Damn. That’s solid news for the immediate west and north Baltimore suburbs

Yeah I remember reading about it a while back and being surprised. Still mad at them for moving to Apple, but have kept it on my phone with the Today Weather app for Android. I hope they're right, lol.

1 minute ago, SchvoniWx said:

Yeah I remember reading about it a while back and being surprised. Still mad at them for moving to Apple, but have kept it on my phone with the Today Weather app for Android. I hope they're right, lol.

I work for Apple, so I’m not terribly mad about the free access B) hehe. In my opinion, it’s a great app and is usually pretty spot on. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic