• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

Just looked at the 3K NAM 18Z forecast over Arkansas late this afternoon.  For what it is worth it appears to be under forecasting the intensity of the snow this afternoon there and the rain/snow line is farther south than it was forecasted even a few hours out....hopefully that extrapolates to something meaningful for us.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Deck Pic said:

It's definitely wetter...

It's a pretty juicy storm as a whole. Also legit frontogen overhead as the heavies move in. Not saying I think reality will be all crazy juiced up. Just that we do have an unusually good combo of plentiful gulf moisture and great atmospheric conditions to wring it out. I think we both agree that all the good stuff happens quickly. Dont care much about the tail. Will be light sleet at best in my yard. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Those widespread 1"+ qpf runs were suspect anyways (imo). When they first started hitting I was thinking if my yard can pull off .75 is would be fine. About right. 

Ptypes on this one are nutty. Walking lines all over the area at times. 3k nam says this is sleet ptype but this sure looks like a snow sounding to me. There's a lot of that going on under the hood it seems 

0TjXtu6.png

It doesn't help that TT uses a shade of pink/purple for heavy snow and mix lol

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@Bob Chill, totally agree on the soundings.    Razor thin line between 2”/hr or sleet that can peel the paint off your car. Hopefully @high risk agrees with @psuhoffman that it can be a little aggressive with warm layers at times.

I'll agree with that, but while I might delay its timeline for the transition by an hour, I don't know that I'd bet against it for much longer.    If it is an hour, though, I hope that we get 2"/hour rates during that period.....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Just looked at the 3K NAM 18Z forecast over Arkansas late this afternoon.  For what it is worth it appears to be under forecasting the intensity of the snow this afternoon there and the rain/snow line is farther south than it was forecasted even a few hours out....hopefully that extrapolates to something meaningful for us.

We need more of this!

• Like 1

Just now, midatlanticweather said:

Hoping the Para schools all the models for this event. But weeniecasting now. 

In terms of forecasting, I'm pretty much hugging the euro at this point, other than it may be a little dry.  I don''t have any confidence in the American models right now.  There is way too much disparity between  Hi res/Lo Res, Para/OP

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

I'll agree with that, but while I might delay its timeline for the transition by an hour, I don't know that I'd bet against it for much longer.    If it is an hour, though, I hope that we get 2"/hour rates during that period.....

Agree. My yard has been through a number of these dicy ptype storms. Nearly every single on flipped right on time or sooner. I cant remember the specific dates but the only times I've been surprised with more snow and less sleet than expected were a couple heavy dumpers. 

Of course the greatest reverse sleet bust of all time (imo only) was in Feb 2014 when a west track primary was all snow with a hp out in the atlantic just pumping southerlies in the mids. I think I got like 7" all snow with just a touch of sleet and drizzle on the tail. @WinterWxLuvr loved that storm. So did Ji if you can believe it

1 minute ago, Deck Pic said:

In terms of forecasting, I'm pretty much hugging the euro at this point, other than it may be a little dry.  I don''t have any confidence in the American models right now.  There is way too much disparity between  Hi res/Lo Res, Para/OP

Interesting. Was thinking pretty much the same things. I know models are constructed differently but this close you would expect a little more consensus 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@Bob Chill, totally agree on the soundings.    Razor thin line between 2”/hr or sleet that can peel the paint off your car. Hopefully @high risk agrees with @psuhoffman that it can be a little aggressive with warm layers at times.

12z RAOB from IAD tomorrow will be very interesting. If it's colder, then we're golden everywhere.

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Agree. My yard has been through a number of these dicy ptype storms. Nearly every single on flipped right on time or sooner. I can remember the specific dates but the only times I've been surprised with more snow and less sleet than expected were a couple heavy dumpers. 

Of course the greatest reverse sleet bust of all time (imo only) was in Feb 2014 when a west track primary was all snow with a hp out in the atlantic just pumping southerlies in the mids. I think I got like 7" all snow with just a touch of sleet and drizzle on the tail. @WinterWxLuvr loved that storm. So did Ji if you can believe it

If memory serves that was a 20” snow here.

• Like 1

Agree. My yard has been through a number of these dicy ptype storms. Nearly every single on flipped right on time or sooner. I can remember the specific dates but the only times I've been surprised with more snow and less sleet than expected were a couple heavy dumpers. 

Was that the mid month, one? Was two parts, I think?

• Like 1

Just now, Deck Pic said:

This has been a tough winter with models and a lot of strange behaviors. Very happy that systems are spotted ahead of time, but final placements of bands of snow and warm layers seem last minute. I expect the typical northward trends, but they have been in both directions this year. I thought this was going to be a bit less complicated. But so many variables, and there are good reasons for the challenges, but we really are the battle ground for this year. I guess we always are. Makes it fun and exhausting at the same time. This is probably banter 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Was that the mid month, one? Was two parts, I think?

It was a single storm iirc and was on the tail of a snow heater in that wild progressive pattern. None of us really drilled down on it leading in. We were kinda burned out from other storms and this one had literally no high pressure to our north. All return flow from the arctic high sliding off the coast. 99.9% of those storms would be a mix and mess everywhere at best. It was such a legit airmass we capitalized when we really shouldnt have. Thats as much as this old guy can remember 

The GFS gives the Baltimore-dc corridor 5 inches in the 6 hours leading up to the change over.. if you can believe that it stays all snow up to or around 18Z, then this would be a legit event.  Should be fun to watch... Although we are not seeing the big totals from last couple of days.. this quick hitter warning criteria type event should be very impactful and fun to watch!

image.thumb.png.fef38326d0828f906b8fff2be5475d27.png

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agree. My yard has been through a number of these dicy ptype storms. Nearly every single on flipped right on time or sooner. I cant remember the specific dates but the only times I've been surprised with more snow and less sleet than expected were a couple heavy dumpers. 

I remember that storm really well.    That was an incredible thump - the precip arrived like a wall of white.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

12z tomorrow? By then ground obs ought to tell us what we need to know.

When the 12z sounding is release tomorrow, we'll be able to see if there's a significant intrusion of warm air starting, or if things are colder and perhaps we have a better chance at a prolonged front end thump of snow. Normally, I'd look towards RNK, but as you said the event will probably be underway by then so that data won't be as useful.

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

I think he’s referring to the 2/21/2015 event? The 2/2014 2-parter was a coastal storm. 

Def could have been 2015. Makes sense coming in a week after the VDay supersquall. We tracked fails all season up until that arctic front. The storm was so unconventional we didnt take it as serious as we usually do iirc

It was a single storm iirc and was on the tail of a snow heater in that wild progressive pattern. None of us really drilled down on it leading in. We were kinda burned out from other storms and this one had literally no high pressure to our north. All return flow from the arctic high sliding off the coast. 99.9% of those storms would be a mix and mess everywhere at best. It was such a legit airmass we capitalized when we really shouldnt have. Thats as much as this old guy can remember 

I remember something like this and then the ULL ended up giving many some excitement but missed my backyard. Was also an inland runner and unexpected that it would stay snow. 

Just now, high risk said:

I remember that storm really well.    That was an incredible thump - the precip arrived like a wall of white.

It may have been feb 2015. Those 2 febs are blended together in my mind like a corrupt hard drive. So similar at times it was uncanny. Even though the pattern in both feb 14&15 was not ideal at all, our area could not have maximized it any better. Prob once in a lifetime pattern/snow. I wont root for a raging +ao/nao ever. But man, some fond fond memories of that stretch. I remember literally getting sick and tired of tracking in mid Mar 2014. First and last for me. Lol

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

When the 12z sounding is release tomorrow, we'll be able to see if there's a significant intrusion of warm air starting, or if things are colder and perhaps we have a better chance at a prolonged front end thump of snow. Normally, I'd look towards RNK, but as you said the event will probably be underway by then so that data won't be as useful.

Then we can look at the 6z sounding ;)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic