Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18/19 Disco/Obs

nj2va

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Seems a bit drier vs the overnight runs (that’s been the trend all winter up to game time), but generally stronger with the initial snow thump. Less sleet. So far happy hour’s been pretty good for the cities and immediate suburbs. I’d say 3-6” plus some sleet is a pretty reasonable call for our yards. If we can hold off the warm layer just for another hour or two, it would make a big difference.

Those widespread 1"+ qpf runs were suspect anyways (imo). When they first started hitting I was thinking if my yard can pull off .75 is would be fine. About right. 

Ptypes on this one are nutty. Walking lines all over the area at times. 3k nam says this is sleet ptype but this sure looks like a snow sounding to me. There's a lot of that going on under the hood it seems 

0TjXtu6.png

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Those widespread 1"+ qpf runs were suspect anyways (imo). When they first started hitting I was thinking if my yard can pull off .75 is would be fine. About right. 

Ptypes on this one are nutty. Walking lines all over the area at times. 3k nam says this is sleet ptype but this sure looks like a snow sounding to me. There's a lot of that going on under the hood it seems 

0TjXtu6.png

I only checked the early gfs sounding up my way today, but had similar looking skews for a few hours. I don’t think it would be a pure sleet, especially if it’s coming down at a good clip. 

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

IMO, Sterling's snow map looks pretty good and I don't see anything on the guidance that would throw a red flag they're too high.

The NAM nest would probably cut those totals down a bit due to an earlier changeover to sleet.    Not saying that the nest will be right, but that would be how we bust low.   Hoping that enough liquid comes in at the start so that we can still pile up several inches, even with early mixing.

21 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

Agree - hard to go against historical climo. Not saying it can't and doesn't happen, but the times where it does are far fewer than the other direction. Favorable areas are that for a reason.

Well I’m just going off of what is happening now. Look at the total qpf modeled on the short range models and it is paltry from about middle Tennessee westward but what is happening there now is a qpf beatdown

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

0TjXtu6.png

I think that scenario would be "heavily-rimed snow".   It will still accumulate but at a reduced ratio.     I think the idea of less-than-pure-snow is what the NAM nest has in mind, as the Ferrier accumulation on TT shows really, really low amounts.    It does that when the rime factor (accounting for supercooled water building on falling snowflakes in an environment that promotes partial melting) of the falling precip is pretty high.    I think that the amounts being shown on these maps today is too low, but it is telling me that we're going to be walking a fine line between precip types.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic