Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18-19 MAJOR Ice Storm Threat

NorthHillsWx

14 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

How does the tempest handle the ice build up? Get any errors or weird readings for haptic rain sensor or wind readings?

It doesn't do well in situations like today. For example, I have measured .59" with my Davis weather station, and only .06 with the tempest. The wind is probably off also due to the restricted air flow from ice, but I don't have anything to compare it to since my Davis station is frozen up. 

rain.jpg.e23d329219c967a3b88ac10ea3a21a8c.jpg

Rain measurements have always been off with my Tempest station. Often more than 50%  compared to my Davis and simple manual tube type rain gauge that I use.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

It doesn't do well in situations like today. For example, I have measured .59" with my Davis weather station, and only .06 with the tempest. The wind is probably off also due to the restricted air flow from ice, but I don't have anything to compare it to since my Davis station is frozen up. 

Rain measurements have always been off with my Tempest station. Often more than 50%  compared to my Davis and simple manual tube type rain gauge that I use.  

You mean you don't go out on the hour to break up the ice like they do on Mt Washington?

2108-990x637.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think going forward it’s going to be how much Ice is left in the trees when round 2 comes in. The HRRR has precip moving in tonight all the way until daybreak. The next 4 hours is crucial for how much melting occurs in the northern counties. 

currently 33 degrees 15 miles NE of Greensboro

16 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Sitting at 32.9 degrees here with a slight melting going on,  still heavy ice on the elevated surfaces and with more coming in tonight,  this thing ain't over , especially up this way

If anyone is still below freezing north of the triangle precip is building to our southwest again 

22 minutes ago, btownheel said:

Question for the board as a longtime reader but still novice.  Is a Tempest the best bet for a home WX station?

I’m a fan.  I’ve had one since late December.  Like all stations, it has its pros and cons.  For example, the haptic rain sensor will not be accurate with a layer of ice on top, but that’s to be expected.  It’s easy to set up, otherwise accurate, and gets more accurate the longer you own it.

• Like 1

I’m a fan.  I’ve had one since late December.  Like all stations, it has its pros and cons.  For example, the haptic rain sensor will not be accurate with a layer of ice on top, but that’s to be expected.  It’s easy to set up, otherwise accurate, and gets more accurate the longer you own it.

Sounds good. I’m done with that KBUY garbage ;).