• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18-19 MAJOR Ice Storm Threat

NorthHillsWx

I’m at 31.3 with a wet bulb of 30.2 in South Durham, right at I-40. A solid glaze on elevated surfaces/trees (maybe 0.05”), but sidewalks and roads are just wet. I’m surprised we got this cold here based on trends late last night.

At 9 AM, my station was 2.2°F colder than the NAM and 1.4°F colder than the HRRR projected. Some more light precip moving in now so we’ll see if those trends mean anything at this point. Oddly enough, GFS/RDPS have been the most accurate on temps so far.

main batch of precipitation has moved through.  Only light rain now.   Looks like maybe .10 to .15 accrual on trees.  Sleet seemed to help and temps went above freezing during heavier rain (latent heat release?)  Hopefully we can melt these trees off before temps drop again.  (32.5 / 31)

2 minutes ago, BG_Slick said:

main batch of precipitation has moved through.  Only light rain now.   Looks like maybe .10 to .15 accrual on trees.  Sleet seemed to help and temps went above freezing during heavier rain (latent heat release?)  Hopefully we can melt these trees off before temps drop again.  (32.5 / 31)

Probably dynamic cooling.

Count me as happy that we have seemingly dodged this bullet in Statesville.  Frozen precip is bad enough for business, but the amount of ice predicted would have killed it through the weekend, and that would have been the least of my concerns.  I've been all over the northern end of the county already this morning, and all roads have been very clear.  Even saw the sun trying to peek through very quickly a few min ago.  Certainly seemed to be clearing.  Hoping those who get more ice fare well, and the power stays on for them! 

At least for southern VA, the precip is beginning to fill back in to the south and west. Several more hours of freezing drizzle look possible, which would accrue much faster than the heavy batch that came through this morning. The upper energy is still way out west. Plus we still have the evening batch of freezing rain. Don't think we're out of the woods at all yet.