• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18-19 MAJOR Ice Storm Threat

NorthHillsWx

Lest we forget, the Triad is expected to have up to 25 mph gusts in the morning and through tomorrow afternoon.  So the damage effect of 0.25” of ice with those winds is about the same as 0.50” of ice with calm winds.

We’re turning our backs to the supposedly dead villain when he could easily pop up and attack again.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Lest we forget, the Triad is expected to have up to 25 mph gusts in the morning and through tomorrow afternoon.  So the damage effect of 0.25” of ice with those winds is about the same as 0.50” of ice with calm winds.

We’re turning our backs to the supposedly dead villain when he could easily pop up and attack again.

Not sure anyones turning their backs on anything.  Even the "pulling back on the reigns a bit" call maps have the triad and areas north of there with .25 of ice....thats nothing to sniff at.  Its just not what has been called for for a while now.  Which has kinda been the modus operandi this winter.  But who knows what is gonna happen.  Temps could tank and could still reach those totals.  Everyone in the warning areas should be prepared for the worst and hope that mother nature hits us with a torch and nobody gets this destructive ice.

• Like 1

Just now, wncsnow said:

You're in deep up there I'm afraid. I'm slowly dropping but very light prexip so far. 34.3/27.6

Hoping when heavier returns come through it’ll be sleet, fingers crossed. Dropping to 16 this morning I think is helping it stick instantly. Deck has that shiny look to it. 

32 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

So what us the thermodynamic mechanism where clouds cause the nighttime temp to rise?  I can understand them slowing the rate of cooling, but how are they warming? 

Once the sun sets, the Earth emits outgoing longwave radiation. A layer of clouds blocks that outgoing longwave radiation, trapping the heat in. As the radiation continues, temperatures can actually warm a decent amount.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Since my previous post my temperature has dropped to 29.8 which is already lower than the lowest temperature reached during the last event which was 30.2. The dew point is at 27.9, so there's still room for the temperature to drop lower. There's a light glaze on all elevated surfaces already. Radar is filling in quickly and looks good down stream for some significant precipitation amounts in this area by the time all is said and done. This will no doubt be a more severe ice storm than the last one for my area.