• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18-19 MAJOR Ice Storm Threat

NorthHillsWx

Looking at your house on the latest model run map and saying this isn’t going to be a serious event does everyone else a disservice.  This thread covers a lot of territory.  Some will get a cold rain.  Others could be without power for two or three days.  We have people reading this thread who don’t post, but would like to get a sense of what might be coming.

• Like 11

Just now, magpiemaniac said:

Looking at your house on the latest model run map and saying this isn’t going to be a serious event does everyone else a disservice.  This thread covers a lot of territory.  Some will get a cold rain.  Others could be without power for two or three days.  We have people reading this thread who don’t post, but would like get a sense of what might be coming.

I agree.  Which is why people need to specify a location they are referring to with each post.  It is complicated trying to go back and figure out which place people are talking about.

For now, I would go with a FZRA event for typical climo areas.  I do think WWA will go up southeast of the current WSW areas.  Question is, how far?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I agree.  Which is why people need to specify a location they are referring to with each post.  It is complicated trying to go back and figure out which place people are talking about.

For now, I would go with a FZRA event for typical climo areas.  I do think WWA will go up southeast of the current WSW areas.  Question is, how far?

im in nw nc mount airy  near va border and no kind of watches for me and im fine with that. not a ice fan.. which who knows what will occur here 

3 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Interesting to look at this trend gif and see the clearing over central/southern VA. Over time, it looks the NAM is trending towards a deeper cold dome (sleet) for those areas. This would generally shift the ZR line south as well. Time will tell.

trend-nam-2021021612-f060.zr_acc.us_ma.gif

One marked trend going back 48 hours now has been significant cooling of the column north of our sub forum. Much deeper cold air has also been noted on several models in the 900-925 mb layer and has been picked up on as sleet by modeling as such. I don’t know if this will have much impact on surface temps but I wouldn’t be shocked that we start seeing BL temps tick down a degree or two with the noted mid level cooling from previous runs

2 minutes ago, Ghicks said:

im in nw nc mount airy  near va border and no kind of watches for me and im fine with that. not a ice fan.. which who knows what will occur here 

You almost certainly will be in a Winter Storm Watch with the afternoon forecast packages.  I don't think Surry escapes this one.

• Like 1

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

One marked trend going back 48 hours now has been significant cooling of the column north of our sub forum. Much deeper cold air has also been noted on several models in the 900-925 mb layer and has been picked up on as sleet by modeling as such. I don’t know if this will have much impact on surface temps but I wouldn’t be shocked that we start seeing BL temps tick down a degree or two with the noted mid level cooling from previous runs

Good points. The main reason I think is b/c the pattern is trending more progressive over the eastern CONUS/Canada. This has eliminated the Apps runner scenario which would have overwhelmed the wedge with warm air aloft/down.  Now we're trending towards a True Miller A/B hybrid. This generally brings more sleet into play over VA/northern NC from my experience. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

Looking at your house on the latest model run map and saying this isn’t going to be a serious event does everyone else a disservice.  This thread covers a lot of territory.  Some will get a cold rain.  Others could be without power for two or three days.  We have people reading this thread who don’t post, but would like get a sense of what might be coming.

Exactly. And the NAM may look warmer but it’s definitely not, if anything it brought heavier amounts further SE in CLT area. ANYONE along and NW of 85 Or a Line From Shelby-Concord-Lexington-NW Wake County Should prepare for an ice storm and Be pleasantly surprised if you end up not needed the extra supplies 

4 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Good points. The main reason I think is b/c the pattern is trending more progressive over the eastern CONUS/Canada. This has eliminated the Apps runner scenario which would have overwhelmed the wedge with warm air aloft/down.  Now we're trending towards a True Miller A/B hybrid. This generally brings more sleet into play over VA/northern NC from my experience. 

I would love sleet over frz rain anyday edit.. in northern GSO

• Thanks 1

It's a subtle trend, but the polar lobe over SE Canada continues to trends south/stronger. This will continue to strengthen the pinch of the confluent flow aloft over the northeast and induce higher pressure/HP at the surface. This produces a more transient pattern for our STJ s/w coming eastward.

trend-nam-2021021606-f048.500hv.conus.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

It's a subtle trend, but the polar lobe over SE Canada continues to trends south/stronger. This will continue to strengthen the pinch of the confluent flow aloft over the northeast and induce higher pressure/HP at the surface. This produces a more transient pattern for our STJ s/w coming eastward.

Sorry for the stupid question so would that mean colder air for northern piedmont of nc ?

I'm on mobile, but the RGEM is as classic an ice storm signal as it gets. Temps don't rise about 30 in the triad for almost the entire event and over 1.5" of precip.

The few factors working against significant icing: Rates are a bit heavier this go around and it will be fairly warm and sunny the day before. Also more of the precip will be during the day. 

24 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

The weird thing is we are absolutely on fire at 850MB, despite the trends. We're talking about +11C at 850 on the NAM. The other models are much colder but it does give me pause to think about maintaining a freezing rain event with such a warm nose. 2002 never got warmer than +4C over the Charlotte area. 

Just now, BullCityWx said:

The weird thing is we are absolutely on fire at 850MB, despite the trends. We're talking about +11C at 850 on the NAM. The other models are much colder but it does give me pause to think about maintaining a freezing rain event with such a warm nose. 2002 never got warmer than +4C over the Charlotte area. 

True, i'm thinking those #'s will come down though if we have the SLP in the positions the other models have it. Would make no sense to have a warm nose that strong.

• Like 1