Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

Interesting that the GFS para again focuses the initial thump further south.   The northern areas score, but it's actually during the afternoon.     It's also more aggressive than the ops with moving the changeover line further north.       Verbatim, it hits southern areas with a lot of snow in the morning and hits northern areas with a lot of snow in the afternoon - there is an impressive screw zone running along I-50 from DC to Annapolis.

I like it for our backyards.  Sleet line gets so close I'd probably be able to hear it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Interesting is a lot nicer word than I would have used!  Luckily it’s the only model really focusing that southern max of the initial push. I have a feeling that it will settle along a line from Winchester to northern Maryland, but without that dramatic drop in between. 

Yeah, the GFS para seems to be somewhat on its own.    You can see it in the 700 winds, which are much weaker up along and south of I-66.

700wh-1.us_ma.thumb.png.97fbca322de43cce8e3b5891126371e2.png 

700wh.us_ma.thumb.png.761cc3622d60e6aec14036d44526a2ff.png

I haven't look into why v16 is weaker, but the much reduced convergence early Thursday over northern VA and the DC area  is very clear.

• Like 2

I'm way behind on 12/18z runs so nothing important to add. I did poke around with 18z 3k soundings... oh man, there are some SICK periods of snow. Even the sleet is raking everything in its path. Looks like a little instability is showing up around the snow/sleet line when it's rippin. Hopefully a met drops by and explains it better. I see the possibility of thunder in the heavy bands riding the mix line. Who doesnt like thundersleet?

• Like 8
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm way behind on 12/18z runs so nothing important to add. I did poke around with 18z 3k soundings... oh man, there are some SICK periods of snow. Even the sleet is raking everything in its path. Looks like a little instability is showing up around the snow/sleet line when it's rippin. Hopefully a met drops by and explains it better. I see the possibility of thunder in the heavy bands riding the mix line. Who doesnt like thundersleet?

Thundersleet, the geese probably don't like that at all!

May have to get out the spikes here! :P

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Whatever falls Thursday AM will be ripping into the afternoon. And yes, there's a slight signal for some thunder across central MD between 18-22z. Looks like fun 

• Like 10
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Yup. Nothing worse than praying the night before the event that we get the cold air in at 3am when the precip starts at 5 and then waking up to 34/33 and white rain.

Falling fast here. Below freezing now. My south facing front yard survived the early temp spike. Still have full snow cover. May not get above freezing here until Monday afternoon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wkd said:

How are you doing down there in Texas?

Good. Wife and I are fortunate we have had power through all this. We got 6" of snow with temps between 7-9 degrees on Sunday. Everything is at a crawl around here still. Thawing will really commence on Thursday. Texas as a whole got crushed. Easily a top 5 winter storm for these parts. Tons of ice and snow since last Thursday evening.

• Like 21

23 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Whatever falls Thursday AM will be ripping into the afternoon. And yes, there's a slight signal for some thunder across central MD between 18-22z. Looks like fun 

You probably just triggered Jim Cantore with the word “Thunder”. Probably on a flight to BWI as I type. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Good. Wife and I are fortunate we have had power through all this. We got 6" of snow with temps between 7-9 degrees on Sunday. Everything is at a crawl around here still. Thawing will really commence on Thursday. Texas as a whole got crushed. Easily a top 5 winter storm for these parts. Tons of ice and snow since last Thursday evening.

What is the max potential out there for snow?  I was looking at the records for Odessa and it seems like 8-10 inches for a storm would be max.. what about Dallas and Houston?

4 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

What is the max potential out there for snow?  I was looking at the records for Odessa and it seems like 8-10 inches for a storm would be max.. what about Dallas and Houston?

12-18" is possible here. We almost had that very end of last year, but the TROWAL setup 40 miles to the east and they got 15-18". Our area is great at missing the worst and areas to the northeast are the winners in most winter events. We have our own jackpot crew here too

• Like 2

Worth noting that the high was supposed to be near 50 and we only got low 40s along with the temp dropping faster than expected. From my base level understanding this should cool the ground and lead to stuff sticking but for anyone who knows stuff about the weather what would this mean for the storm? Would it change the upper levels some?