Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

1 minute ago, ErinInTheSky said:

NAM sleet fest is still on. I'm seriously rooting for this, y'all, over snow. 3"+ of sleet is just way too fun.

tqWeZ6J.png

stop cheering for sleet. Its a useless precip type. I only like it if we are suppose to get rain

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Where that banding among the boundary sets up likely is mostly snow. In my experience the dynamics and the ability of heavy rates to mix our a small warm layer typically wins in that band.  Plus the mid level warm layer typically is where you get the dry slot. So no matter what the guidance says that band is often where the snow/sleet line sets up just south of it. 

While generally true, the 18z NAM 3k is just a region wide precip show.  DC isn't even in the best band, almost everyone is 0.75"+ in that time period.

8 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

Well in fairness this is his opinion of trying to forecast it:

In real fairness, that was a joking tweet from him and that was not his real forecast.  His real projection from this am was 1-2" snow, 1-2" sleet, and .0.25" freezing rain for Cville area.
Reese is the best met at winter weather in the greater Cville area and does a nice job engaging with folks on Twitter and explaining the science for amateurs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

While generally true, the 18z NAM 3k is just a region wide precip show.  DC isn't even in the best band, almost everyone is 0.75"+ in that time period.

Yea in that case it’s harder to pin the exact mix line but if there is a meso banding feature along the front like much guidance hints at my guess is the mix is just south of it. 

10 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Woof. That’s a hell of a cut off as shown on the NAM. Certainly a better look with that hot pink running through my house, but not great for I-95 and the metros. Good news is that guidance  has been trending colder / snowier and not Vice versa leading up the storm, so there’s still plenty of time to kick the fall line SE another few ticks.  

My background is more paleontology than meteorology, but I always thought the fall line only moves on a geologic time scale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ji said:

isnt it about trends now and not the final forecast?

I've always taken the position that it's more about the post-storm measureables than anything.  Sure, its nice to enjoy the forecasts and the trends, but models aren't forecasts or trends, they're tools.  Tools that are used to create forecasts, and which trend in certain directions as the storm event nears.  But I caution you--  Models are not forecasts because they reveal nothing about the future and do not purport to predict the future, so do not fall into that trap.

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

The 3K was great for the fall line NW....maybe even for Baltimore. Its close

With that initial WAA band pre-dawn Thursday, we get an extra 2-4", then another ~1" of snow, and then the sleet bomb (maybe 1-2" of sleet?). I'd take that verbatim. 

• Like 2