Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, Kmlwx said:

It's worth waiting for the 3km frames to be out. It will handle thermals better than the 12km run. 

its worth just waiting for the run to finish before trying to guess what its going to do. but what do i know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

Yeah, NAM is less snow than just about any other model.  I'm not going to be too down about it.  And even as modeled on the 18z NAM, it's still a fun storm

3k has 0.91" precip in 6 hours from 12z-18z.  While I want that all to be snow, the sleet beatdown would be crazy to watch (and hear).

• Like 4

Woof. That’s a hell of a cut off as shown on the NAM. Certainly a better look with that hot pink running through my house, but not great for I-95 and the metros. Good news is that guidance  has been trending colder / snowier and not Vice versa leading up the storm, so there’s still plenty of time to kick the fall line SE another few ticks.  

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

NAM is evolving and I doubt it’s done. It’s been such an outlier that I don’t think we can put much faith in it. The other models, all of them, have been far steadier.

Yeah. It still needs to catch up on the coastal part with backend snows. But it folded big time. 

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

NAM is evolving and I doubt it’s done. It’s been such an outlier that I don’t we can put much faith in it. The other models, all of them, have been far steadier.

Yes it would worry me more if the NAM was in line with everything and then started trending away within 48 hours.  This run appears to be a slight trend towards the globals with a better push of colder air at higher levels to start.  Of course this season you never go wrong choosing the warmest model so there's that too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Complete shellacking. NAMed for sure. First time this season the NAM didn't win the trend. Thank God. 

3 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

As mentioned 3k is ugly for DC...sleet bomb

Good grief. If you like sleet, sure, it's great for DC, otherwise, it sucks. Kutchera shows like 0.1. That's a winner!

EDIT: However, I do feel like given how our storms this year have evolved, we can't dismiss this result. (As much as I'd like to)

• Like 1

Just now, MN Transplant said:

3k has 0.91" precip in 6 hours from 12z-18z.  While I want that all to be snow, the sleet beatdown would be crazy to watch (and hear).

Where that banding among the boundary sets up likely is mostly snow. In my experience the dynamics and the ability of heavy rates to mix our a small warm layer typically wins in that band.  Plus the mid level warm layer typically is where you get the dry slot. So no matter what the guidance says that band is often where the snow/sleet line sets up just south of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. It still needs to catch up on the coastal part with backend snows. But it folded big time. 

the NAM has been getting colder every run....thats my takeaway. its moving more towards Globals than GLobals are moving towards it

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Some of those 1hr panels have 0.2-0.3" of precip fall, basically all sleet. Not sure I've ever seen sleet accumulate as fast as snow before, but regardless that would be ~0.6-1" of sleet an hour? Can't imagine seeing that happen, but it would be quite the sight. 

• Like 4