Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

This is the kind of storm where you wait to shovel until the very end so the ZR doesn't bond to the pavement.

Yep and I think that all of the neighbors are going to shovel and then the one nice neighbor will go around with their snowblower and get all of the snow off the driveways of people who did not shovel unwittily dooming us all to ice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, SnowenOutThere said:

Yep and I think that all of the neighbors are going to shovel and then the one nice neighbor will go around with their snowblower and get all of the snow off the driveways of people who did not shovel unwittily dooming us all to ice. 

Our cul de sac is almost exclusively elderly folks so my snowblower is welcome. 

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

This is one where you want to be in North Bel Air I think

At least you arent in Short Pump. I have never seen a place that get screwed worse than that on the GFS. Every storm. They get nothing. 

The GFS has that sneaky little event for Monday. Maybe a snow shower or quick burst?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, high risk said:

The GFS para total snow maps look nice, but when you parse the details, it focuses the thump over DC and points south;  it's quite a bit less for those of us further north.   It does big another slug of snow through the northern areas later in the day, though, so the storm total maps end up looking like a win for everyone.    But it definitely has some details that are quite different from the ops GFS.

That idea of a second period of snow later Thursday is across most guidance now. Rgem and some of the other high res models have it and so does the euro. Except the danger is if that ends up north and mix then places north of DC/Balt could be a screw zone between heavy bands of snow. On the other hand if we get in on the northern side of the morning band and get that secondary banding later we end up the Jack. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That idea of a second period of snow later Thursday is across most guidance now. Rgem and some of the other high res models have it and so does the euro. Except the danger is if that ends up north and mix then places north of DC/Balt could be a screw zone between heavy bands of snow. On the other hand if we get in on the northern side of the morning band and get that secondary banding later we end up the Jack. 

RGEM, GFS Para (and now Canadian) also pick up on some form of backbuilding with light snow bands all the way out to late Friday/early Saturday. Not really sure why they do this, unless it's part of the costal development? Regardless it would be a period of light snow after the main system departs to freshen up the snowpack/sleet.